Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 3 Apr 17, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post

SunPass Mini transponder & Miami toll info

Hi, I have a few questions regarding Sunpass that I'm hoping I can get some help with. Last time we visited we only went on a couple of toll roads so paid cash. However this time we are flying into and out of Miami and I know that the road up to Orlando is a cashless toll,plus there are likely to be other tolls that we go on this time.

Avis would charge us $19.75 plus the full cost of each toll charge, whereas if we buy a SunPass Mini transponder for $4.99 we would be saving the $19.75 and we'd also get the Sunpass discount (around 20-25% I believe).

So the questions I have are:

1) We are staying overnight at the Hampton Inn & Suites Miami Airport South - Blue Lagoon. It looks like there is a toll to there from the airport but I think this takes cash - can anyone confirm if it does take cash?

2) If the above toll takes cash, I would just wait until the next morning to go buy a transponder. So if the next morning I went online/phoned up to register it, would it be active immediately?

3) Has anyone used one of the mini transponders in a rental car and managed to remove it easily without leaving any marks/mess on the windscreen?

Thanks for any help :-)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Remember you also have to buy a $10 minimum balance in addition to the $4.99. Also the discount is not on every toll as far as I could see when clicking on the Miami toll map.

You certainally can save a few dollars, but for me, I just want to get into the car and drive, no looking for a place to buy the mini tollpass, register it etc.
It's my holibubs, and I'll pay for the convenience.

I can't see why your idea won't work tho, and you will save a few dollars so the choice is yours.
Don't know how easy it will be to get off the screen, but nail varnish remover will take any glue off.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

I think it they take 24 hours to activate, the Sunpass site will give you all of the details. Leave a corner of the backing on when you attach it so you've got an easy grip to remove it.

You could always avoid the cashless portion of the road closest to the airport, it's not very big, then just get on and pay cash for the rest of the drive.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Stuart446
Proud to wear my Ears

Just pne qustion, how do you stop the transponder that is fitted to the hire car from registering as well as the mini transponder? Will you get charged twice?... just a thought.
Stuart446 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Stuart446 View Post
Just pne qustion, how do you stop the transponder that is fitted to the hire car from registering as well as the mini transponder? Will you get charged twice?... just a thought.
There isn't a transponder fitted to a rental car, they use plate recognition. There's a photo taken of the back of the car if the toll doesn't register a transponder.
Old 3 Apr 17, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
I think it they take 24 hours to activate, the Sunpass site will give you all of the details. Leave a corner of the backing on when you attach it so you've got an easy grip to remove it.

You could always avoid the cashless portion of the road closest to the airport, it's not very big, then just get on and pay cash for the rest of the drive.
Ah right, I'd had a look on the Sunpass site to see if I could see if there was a wait time before it activating, but couldn't see anything.

And thanks I hadn't realised that it was only a small part of the Miami-Orlando road that was cashless, i thought it was most of it.
Old 3 Apr 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Remember you also have to buy a $10 minimum balance in addition to the $4.99. Also the discount is not on every toll as far as I could see when clicking on the Miami toll map.

You certainally can save a few dollars, but for me, I just want to get into the car and drive, no looking for a place to buy the mini tollpass, register it etc.
It's my holibubs, and I'll pay for the convenience.

I can't see why your idea won't work tho, and you will save a few dollars so the choice is yours.
Don't know how easy it will be to get off the screen, but nail varnish remover will take any glue off.
Thank you, I'd thought it was all the tolls that gave you discount, so the savings might be even less then. I realised you had to top up at least $10 but the tolls are about $20 one way anyway I think so that's not a problem.

Mmmm shall have a think about it, but if it takes 24 hours to activate like Archibald says then it's probably not worth doing anyway.
Old 4 Apr 17, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

you might save a few bucks
but those few bucks might cost you big bucks (time is money)
I would certainly not go through the trouble for the sake of £5 on a £10k vacations

my 2 cents.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 17, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

If you are that determined to save something then pick up highway27 as you drive out of the airport, that is toll free.