Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 May 17, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
fantasy
VIP Dibber

Melanoma wider excision

After removal and 6 internal and external, I have melanoma.i am going for a 1cm margin further excision just to be safe.
As it's on my back /side kidney area I will be off work . My work involves health care and bending stretching etc.
Has anyone had this procedure and how long before back to normal? First procedure stitches were in for 2 weeks.
Old 19 May 17, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

I had MM removed from my R arm several years ago. I also work in health care. I managed to burst my sutures so ended up being off work for 3 weeks and the non patient contact for a further 3 weeks to avoid infection.

Just take it easy, fon't rush back to work as may end up being off longer.

All the best wishes to you and speedy recovery xx
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I had one removed from the same area on my back quite a few years ago. I also agree that you really need to take it easy whilst it's healing, but also after the stitches are taken out; my lovely 'thin line' scar split open the afternoon after I'd had the stitches out, just reaching for something in Asda... what a mess, blood all over the place and a swift visit to A&E, where they had to try to re-close the 'healed' wound. I now have a 2 inch scar that's almost a cm wide.

Good luck.
Old 19 May 17, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

DH'scar, just below the kidney, is a good 4 inches long and 1/4 inch plus wide - it varies. He had the stitches out after about two weeks but had to go for dressing changes every few days as it wasn't healing properly. I can't remember how long he was off work, probably only a couple of days, but they suggested he didn't drive for a while - he did have to manoeuvre the car out of its parking place at the hospital as I couldn't get the angle!
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
fantasy
VIP Dibber

My DH and I are going to Spain 3 weeks and 2 days after procedure so hoping it will have healed
Old 19 May 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fantasy View Post
My DH and I are going to Spain 3 weeks and 2 days after procedure so hoping it will have healed
Sorry if this sounds silly but have you told your travel insurance company ?

Hope the op goes ok. Xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
fantasy
VIP Dibber

Yes I am going to on Monday and get covered👌
Old 20 May 17, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
sharlu
slightly serious Dibber

Good luck, I hope things go well for you. Are you having a skin graft? If not it might heal relatively quickly if there are no complications.

I had a malignant melanoma wide excision to the back of my calf in February this year. Also had a split skin graft because a further 2cm diameter was taken around original tumour. It's took a while to heal because of infection.

It was good news for me - they don't think the cancer had spread further but I need to be vigilant over the next few years.

Take care x

Edited at 11:18 PM.
sharlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
fantasy
VIP Dibber

Dermatologist doesn't think a graft will be needed but he wasn't happy doing it himself and therefore plastic surgeon is doing it. He said the plastic surgeon can do better stitches with stronger effect.
Old 22 May 17, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sharlu
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by fantasy View Post
Dermatologist doesn't think a graft will be needed but he wasn't happy doing it himself and therefore plastic surgeon is doing it. He said the plastic surgeon can do better stitches with stronger effect.
Max fax did mine too. Ive got quite a dent in my calf. It sounds like they caught yours earlier and are planning to pull the surrounding skin together with stitches so hopefully just a neat scar. Thinking of you.
Hope all goes well with the surgery and your results x

sharlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List