Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 May 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindy15
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by ginger ninja View Post
We are doing our kitchen in the next half term, we have our flooring that was £200 from B&M ( we found the same online for 4 times that price!) we are just replacing the doors as the units are good even though they have been in 16 years. we are skimming 2 walls and boarding some pipes in ouselves, good job we like DIY and are quite good at it. our new kitchen will be no more than £2000 and the only reason we are doing it is the dog ate the floor!
Definitely food for thought! Thanks
Lindy15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

Urgh I know what you mean!

We are looking to do our kitchen. Dh will be doing Windows, doors, plastering etc but I'd like it to be fitted by the kitchen company. Dh wants to fit the kitchen himself, I don't. He's perfectly capable but has rarely finished diy jobs and takes forever to get even close to finishing (2years on dds bedroom before they could actual move into it!) We will won't be doing anything until he agrees my way is the way to go

In the meantime I thought given we had no idea that we should get a rough idea of a price. We popped into Wren at the weekend and got the whole our cabinets are the best (admittedly they did) but our ballpark figure was £15,000! No appliances but the quartz worktop was £2000 - £3000 alone so that's not happening

I feel like we're going to dither over this for the next few years at this rate :angry:

We need our drive and drop curb done but again no clue where to start. I'm not sure if we have to apply for the curb to be dropped or if whoever we hire does this. Wish all this renovation was a bit simpler. I looked at the council's planning portal but still have no idea

Ģood luck with your kitchen, maybe try haggling with the kitchen firm you've already got a quote from as well.
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I have seen £5k kitchens look better than £15k kitchens.

Remember the majority of all kitchen units are made in one European factory with slightly different finishes/quality. So before paying top dollar, ask where the units are made
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

We've just paid £10,000 for our new kitchen (4.5m x 2.5m ish). That included kitchen, re-plastering, plumbing, tiling and electrics. We got the kitchen from Wren.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

Mobile

Shop around for sure but also ensure you are being quoted like for like in terms of how thick you carcasses and workrooms are, what kind of sink and taps you are getting and likewise with any appliances.

Best of luck, a recommendation though, try Wren kitchens.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

To add to above post, my kitchen fitter was getting his units and granite work tops from Spain - he just drove over in his van! Saved him a fortune
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekydeeky
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lindy15 View Post
I know I do totally agree, (and I am a car person who sells a particular car make!).. I went in to the shop and told them I knew I wanted their quality over the likes of howdens and b&q and I do agree you get what you pay for, but think I need to give myself a reality check and have not such expensive taste!.
I hope I didn't offend with my car choices .

I had to reign myself in too, it's quite easy to get carried away but I didn't want to compromise on the silestone worktops and that's where a lot of my ££ went. I do love my new kitchen though, it's just a shame it makes the rest of the house look tatty now
cheekydeeky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
afterdenon
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

We bought ours from Units Online. Saved a fortune compared to the Magnet lowest ever price. Def worth shopping around.
afterdenon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We had our kitchen done last week. We had the kitchen knocked into the dining room.

Not got flooring or walls painted yet. We've paid around £9500 so far.

Old 19 May 17, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I did ours maybe 7 years ago. Magnet units and a mixture of good appliances. That cost me £7K.
However apart from moving two pipes and having 18 spots and a ceiling skimmed I did it all myself so Labour costs were under £400.
Handy being an ex Carpenter

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List