Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 May 17, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Ohhh this thread fills me with dread! Our kitchen needs doing but it's very large with lots of units so I know it's going to be so expensive. Ideally, I'd like the floor ripped up as well (at the moment it's ceramic terracotta tiles which I hate) but the surface area involved means that will be about 5k before we start.

I'm wondering whether to compromise and leave the floor and just replace the units. Or just leave it alone and go on more holidays...
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

[QUOTEOr just leave it alone and go on more holidays... [/QUOTE]

Yep! That's what I did for a l-o-n-g time!😂
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindy15 View Post
OK so I don't usually talk about anything other than Disney on here but I am really keen to get my fellow dibb friends thoughts on this, after moving into our house/project over a year ago we had very little money to do it up, and gave always thought that us and the kids will get so much more enjoyment and memories from our Disney trips than they will from posh kitchens and bathrooms!.. But with this years trip nearly paid for we thought 'well when are we actually ever going to afford a kitchen if we have no idea of price '.. So decided to get a local kitchen company (kind of independent bespoke local company) not a big chain to come round, they have measured up and with various emails back and forth I eventually said I'm happy with the plan do go ahead and quote me... Well it seemed they didn't want to just email me the quote I was advised to arrange an appointment to go in and discuss, I continued to explain we might be struggling to get in to see them for a week or so and would really like a 'ball park' of where we are with the quote, eventually got a figure out of him and they tell me that with the current plan we're at about. £19k! Needless to say I was gobsmacked! I knew it wasn't going to be cheap, and definitely more than £10k but gosh ! ... Think I'll now be shopping around, but would love any info if anyone has had similar experiences with new kitchens, I said did it let's get a £5k b&q one and just book Disney again for 2019!
About 18 months ago we had a brand new kitchen. The kitchen was old and horrible and we had a leak in the ceiling and then the boiler had to be replaced so a big hole in the wall.

Ours cos us about £16K with everything - granite worktop, Karndean flooring, integrated fridge freezer, dishwasher, microwave, double oven.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 17, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Mortie
Getting Excited

Anything bespoke is going to be expensive purely because it is made for you. We had a quote when we were thinking of converting our ground floor. It would have been fantastic and a dream kitchen/ground floor. Sadly we didn't convert the ground floor (think it was the driving a digger through the house that put us off)! We went with a Howden kitchen but I would not recommend our local one had problem after problem with them. The kitchen is eventually great but not what was designed.
Mortie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 17, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

We do have a rather large kitchen and have put it off for a long time but can't really wait any longer.

We are doing the clearing out of the existing kitchen ourselves, getting friends to do the electrics but with the kitchen (fitted fridge and freezer and dishwasher) granite tops, island, underfloor heating and flooring, new lights, new doors to the kitchen itself and a large utility room also being done we aren't getting much change from £30k (£3k of that is a range and cooker hood)

It does appear a much bigger space than most people on this thread have posted so I think it's mainly due to amount of units needed and we have gone for really high end units (solid oak) both to make it last and also fit in with the rest of the house.

I nearly fell off my chair but having tried to take cost out I struggled and having looked around we are getting excellent value for money.

We have gone to an independent rather than a "chain" and feel we have gotten excellent value for money. Will comment more when it's in (it's an empty shell currently whilst we wait for the next step to be done, all due to be completed mid June)

Edited at 07:33 AM.
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 17, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by choccielover View Post
We do have a rather large kitchen and have put it off for a long time but can't really wait any longer.

We are doing the clearing out of the existing kitchen ourselves, getting friends to do the electrics but with the kitchen (fitted fridge and freezer and dishwasher) granite tops, island, underfloor heating and flooring, new lights, new doors to the kitchen itself and a large utility room also being done we aren't getting much change from £30k (£3k of that is a range and cooker hood)

It does appear a much bigger space than most people on this thread have posted so I think it's mainly due to amount of units needed and we have gone for really high end units (solid oak) both to make it last and also fit in with the rest of the house.

I nearly fell off my chair but having tried to take cost out I struggled and having looked around we are getting excellent value for money.

We have gone to an independent rather than a "chain" and feel we have gotten excellent value for money. Will comment more when it's in (it's an empty shell currently whilst we wait for the next step to be done, all due to be completed mid June)
We also went for independent and hand crafted , put pictures of ours on here previously, with ours being hand crafted we can re paint it so its for life, we started off at £35,000 and it went up from that , we went for Miele appliances so we could have went cheaper on appliances

My mum and dad, I also put pictures on went for the modern German units also done by the same independent company as us and theirs including everything , painting , clearing out old kitchen , electrics etc was £17,000

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Saratoska View Post
We also went for independent and hand crafted , put pictures of ours on here previously, with ours being hand crafted we can re paint it so its for life, we started off at £35,000 and it went up from that , we went for Miele appliances so we could have went cheaper on appliances

My mum and dad, I also put pictures on went for the modern German units also done by the same independent company as us and theirs including everything , painting , clearing out old kitchen , electrics etc was £17,000
Yes I agree with the bespoke wood. Ours can be repainted as we see fit so should be good for life hopefully
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Bespoke costs a fortune. My kitchen is really tiny, I didn't have doors on the units and it was over £7,000. Not including appliances.
I love it, it's perfect. That's what 'bespoke' means!
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 17, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post

We've just come out of Wren and pleasantly surprised !
Our price has come out at £12,400 and that's including a new range cooker , Bosch dishwasher and Hoover washer/dryer, cooker hood , splash back , removal of old kitchen and fitting 👍🏻

Edited at 03:16 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 17, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Depends on size of kitchen, number and quality of units/appliances and the plumbing and electrical work involved.

Our kitchen is a fairly average size and Magnet quoted £5500 whereas a local fitter wanted £9000 plus the cost of electrical work and tiling. There was a difference in the quality of the units but not that much and Magnet would include some appliances too.

You really must shop around and speak to friends and neighbours who've had similar work done. It appears that someone fitted a kitchen a few doors away from us recently for around £7000 inclusive and did a good job - we're going to get in touch with them.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List