Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 May 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

^^ OP states he will pay of CC before he quits working?

but agree best to get sound advise rather than just us well meaning as we may be !
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
I urge caution. Whilst on the surface 'you only live once', 'follow your dreams' etc sounds good - reality bites.
You have a young family, a wife who doesn't work and poor credit history.
I would seek independent financial advice as no one on here knows the full extent of your debts, savings outgoings etc - so it all might look and sound 'doable' but something could be lurking.
For example, I don't understand why you would only be making minimum credit card payments if you have so much in savings between you that you can afford to not work for 6-12 months. But, of course I don't understand your finances.
My point is, I think that you need sound, external advice based on hard facts and figures - not the causal good wishes of well intentioned strangers.

Good luck.
Thanks for the caution, just to say though the outstanding credit card balances don't have really much to do with it, I explained in an earlier post the reason these haven't been paid off with the savings because initially we were going to use the savings to buy a house, however in the grand scheme of things we know that's not going to happen anytime soon, which is why now we will use some of the savings to pay off all outstanding balances, so we will literally have 0 credit cards left to pay, all will be closed down barring 1.

I understand people commenting on the credit card side of things, however these have all been blown completely out of proportion based on one post I had about the Virgin Card, and me mentioning I had a few issues with credit cards last year. My total outstanding credit card balance is only around 2k, (credit limit in total of 6k), so i'ts not even 50% outstanding.

But again thank you for the caution, I posted this as I am trying to be cautious but to also get the opinion of people who have already done it. It's good to get a balanced view
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

I hope the above did not come across like I don't appreciate all advice positive and negative, I just don't want the previous credit card issue post to keep being bought up, as I have stated these will be fully paid off beforehand (whether I decide to follow this or not). I just want to clear that up.
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Better to take a chance and go for it than regret this for the rest of your life.
Could your wife get a part-time job to have money coming in whilst you're not working? Is it feasible that you work part-time in your current job! Sometimes you have to take a gamble and hope it pays off in the long run.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Am i losing the plot or what? Actually went back to check the date on this post because i swear ive read this exact one before
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Coming from someone who's just taken a pay cut to be in a happier job... of you can make the numbers work do it, just don't burn your bridges in the process (i.e. Don't make it impossible for you to go back to your current place of work if all else failed)

I'd say you or your OH getting (or both of you) getting a part time income would be beneficial (esp for you if it came to security checks etc. It's a bit easier if your not unemployed) I'm not talking you working loads, just 1 day a week (you could do that In a supermarket or something like that, would give you a reason to leave the house)
If nothing else then to give you something coming in so you don't have to live off beans on toast (so say fanacially your savings can cover the bills for 18 months, this part time monies would go towards your food and fun budget, or just allow you to not end up with no savings in this move)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

In my experience, creative jobs do not rely as heavily on 'paper qualifications' - it's all about talent.

This was true back in the olden days when I studied graphic design and is just as true today. My daughter is currently starting the application process for Uni and wants do do digital arts for film / video games. All the places we have looked at so far will offer on the basis of portfolio ONLY. So if she gets A* in her A levels it won't matter a patch if her talent / work is not of a quality that the Uni's can see potential in.

If you are in a final year of a degree, you should already have a body work. Get yourself out there - attend expos, conventions, film festivals and hand out USB sticks with your work and contact details on it. Get names and connections - phone studios for advice on what they are looking for then send relevant examples.

It's all about your portfolio - do you need to do the final year to get that up to scratch? Your time maybe better spent honing your craft and getting together that killer body of work that will land you a job. Even if you get your degree, that won't get you a job, your work will.

I hope it all works out for you - it's a competive area so best of luck!
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by janny View Post
Am i losing the plot or what? Actually went back to check the date on this post because i swear ive read this exact one before
Not from me, but I think a few people have posted similar to this in the past, which is one of the reasons I posted.

Thanks again for all the responses, there's still a lot to think about, but currently I am closer to the side of leaving and giving it a go.
Old 20 May 17, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by rusty30 View Post
In my experience, creative jobs do not rely as heavily on 'paper qualifications' - it's all about talent.

This was true back in the olden days when I studied graphic design and is just as true today. My daughter is currently starting the application process for Uni and wants do do digital arts for film / video games. All the places we have looked at so far will offer on the basis of portfolio ONLY. So if she gets A* in her A levels it won't matter a patch if her talent / work is not of a quality that the Uni's can see potential in.

If you are in a final year of a degree, you should already have a body work. Get yourself out there - attend expos, conventions, film festivals and hand out USB sticks with your work and contact details on it. Get names and connections - phone studios for advice on what they are looking for then send relevant examples.

It's all about your portfolio - do you need to do the final year to get that up to scratch? Your time maybe better spent honing your craft and getting together that killer body of work that will land you a job. Even if you get your degree, that won't get you a job, your work will.

I hope it all works out for you - it's a competive area so best of luck!
Oh yeah it's totally about the portfolio and your demo reel, the reason I want to finish it is because I am so close, and I have already spent a lot of money getting where I have, also because this school is actually very highly regarded in the animation industry (your actually taught by people in studios, my last tutor works at ILM and worked on Force Awakens) so if you have this school on your CV/Resume it looks very good.

I could probably get away with the demo reel I have now, but I think the work I will produce in the last 6 months will really stand it out from the rest of the people who try and do it without these types of schools.

As the school is completely dedicated to Animation, there is literally zero theory work, it's all practical, which is why it's so highly regarded.
Old 21 May 17, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MK_club1987 View Post
Somebody said something to me today that really has stuck with me most of the day:

"You only get one shot at this life, change requires taking that leap of faith. Making a big life change is pretty scary, but what's even scarier? Regret"

It's such a true statement.
That is so true
You never know what is in store
Talland 2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List