Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 May 17, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Place Picked up from:- Mco 26th May 2017 at 14:30
Category of car hired:- STD SUV
Make & Model:- Ford Flex
Hire company : Andy @ Discount Florida Car Hire

Upon arrival was a little nervous as we ended up 2 Adults, 3 Kids. 4 cases and a Pram.
We had only booked 5 Seater Std SUV.
Did Online Checkin - Skip the Queue, straight from Baggage claim through to the multi storey. Alamo desk had 3 guys awaiting us, no queue. Straight to our lane in the car park.
Mixure of Hyundai's, a few Jeep Grand Cherokees and at the end of the line was the Ford Flex Limited, 7 seater. Took a look inside 2017 registered, 11k miles. Fully loaded with Spec, Sat Nav, Sirius Radio.
Cases and pram went in with a LOT of room to spare.
Wasn't sure (first time) that when we got to the exit they weren't going to say it was an upgrade but they didn't way a word. Nice drive, fair bit of poke in it too.

Edited at 01:34 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
alanm
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Hired from Alamo at MCO via uscarhire, full size category, Dodge Charger

Edited at 03:08 AM.
alanm is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
English Tim
Excited about Disney

Picked up from MCO
Group: Full size Group Z
Car: Chevy Tahoe 4-wheel drive
Company: Avis Preferred

I booked and received two cars, on collected from Orlando and the other (due to BA incident on May 27) from Miami.

This one had the option of 2 or 4 wheel drive, manually selected or auto.

Car was of course automatic and had so many 'toys', I was kept well amused. It even had wifi if a subscription was paid. Both cars served us very well and had excellent infotainment systems, so the TomToms I had brought, were redundant.

Due to the BA problem, they switched the other pick up to Miami, but we had to drive one car with child seats to and from Miami, which left me exhausted.

Old 22 Jun 17, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BertnErnie
Trading Disney Pins

Place Picked up from:- Kissimmee, at Ramada Gateway on the 192
Category of car hired:- XFAR
Make & Model:- Volvo XC90
Hire company used:- Sixt (booked direct)

Was asked on another thread to post a quick review here. Appologies for not taking a full set of photos e.g. no view of the rear seats, trunk etc.

I had booked a 'premium' full size/large SUV with sixt for what I though was a great rate of around £40 per day. The class is XFAR and the reference vehicles were listed as Mercedes GLE, BMW X5 or even a Cadillac Escalade!

We stayed onsite at AKL and didn't want a vehicle for the full 14 days of our trip so I opted to pick up and drop off at the nearby Kissimmee branch which it turns out to be located inside the Ramada Gateway hotel on the 192, although Sixt didn't mention this so the Uber driver and I weren't really sure where we were going.

Being a small, hotel based, branch there wasn't any choice or upsell offered, not that the Sixt fleet had much other than a Range Rover or S-Class or 12 seater that they could have upsold me too! I had to wait about 5-10 mins for someone to appear at the little Sixt desk, but we completed the paperwork fairly quickly. One slight issue was that I didn't have the credit card that I had prepaid with, so they had to refund that card and charge a different card that I had with me. I declined the offer of breakdown insurance but accepted the pre-paid toll option, which I regretted as soon after. This was something like $7 per day so would only be worth it if you were planning to incur a lot of tolls.

The car was brought round to me and I was handed the child seat I had pre-booked. The agent wouldn't install this for me, but did give me a quick explanation of the isofix points on the seat, so I was on my way in about 5 mins. It came with the full seven seats up, but that left very little cargo room so I dropped the third row. I neglected to check for damage though and, when I got back to AKL, I was a little concerned to find some scratches on the drivers side door that weren't noted on the agreement.

I was pleasantly surprised by the car itself as I don't think I would have picked a Volvo over a BWM, Merc or Cadillac. Its a big SUV, but not in the same league as the body-on-frame beasts like the Tahoe/Escalade. That said it has as much if not more usable space inside and the interior is very well built and designed. The engine is only a 2.0L I4 but its both super and turbo charged to get close to the power output of the Tahoe's 5.7L V8 and, being a lot lighter, it was much better to drive.

The Volvo was very well equipped with an enormous portrait orinetated touch screen and and a fully digital, i.e. "virtual", instrument panel. inbuilt navigation was enabled along with satellite radio and Apple CarPlay/Andoid Auto mobile screen mirroring. Being a Volvo it also felt very safe giving clear warnings if there was a vehicle in your blind spots or braking ahead. Adaptive cruise and automatic lane keeping allow the car to practically drive itself, although it will tell you off if it detects you have taken your hands off the wheel! Parking was a breeze - for starters its smaller than a truck based SUV, but it also has a very cool multi-camera system that gives an 'overhead' view of the vehicle. It had automatic parking as well but I never felt the need to use this.

Drop off was quick and they didn't mention the scratch I noticed. I was chatting the agent about the Volvo and she mentioned that they were seeing a lot of them entering the fleet - more so than the Mercedes and BMWs Sixt os known for. I'd certainly be happy to rent with Sixt again if the price was right.

BertnErnie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 17, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
The Wardles
Having Dinner with Goofy

Ford F150 Pickup

Well, what can I say... This is the best vehicle I have ever hired from Alamo, in the past 10 years of hiring all those little racing cars, this is by far thee best vehicle for America. You are sat way up in the air, you can see over traffic on the I4 (this is a huge bonus) The space for just us two was massive, this truck seats 6 people, with lift up rear seating allowing you to get changed at the beach in the back, privacy glass in the rear, the loading bed is massive, our truck had reversing sensors and camera, our truck had just 7000 miles on the clock, and cost $50 to fill up, giving 500 miles, from a V8 5L this is pretty good. We covered 1987 miles this year, A real joy to have something so nice to drive, selectable 2WD to 4WD, brilliant, this is the only type of vehicle I will hire in the future.

I had booked an Intermediate SUV, it cost me £303 inc TAX to upgrade, well worth it.

Edited at 05:20 PM.
The Wardles is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Matt0177
Earning My Ears

Picked this Yukon up from the Disney car care centre (Alamo) and it was fantastic. It came with all off the goodies and was a pleasure to drive. I was a little concerned about using the DCCC as your car is chosen for you but it was mentioned they only take in the best of the classes.
£596 Alamo brits 14 days

Matt0177 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
pingufan
Helping Minnie

Booked a full size car to be collected from alamo at Collins Ave, Miami. Booked for collection at 10.30am, we got to the office and it was rammed full of people waiting for their cars. There were some heated exchanges as people had been waiting hours.
At 1.15pm we were taken to the parking lot and out drove a 2 door Dodge Challenger. Immediate response was 'we aren't taking that' as we had 3 suitcases and two teens who weren't keen to have to climb into the back all the time. The manager was outraged that we weren't wanting to take it - 'the trunk is huge, the car is fantastic' he said. Already late for our trip to Orlando we just took it. We had it for 18 days and paid £478 through alamo Brits. DH ended up falling in love with it as did the kids so in the end we were glad we were given it.
It was very comfortable but a bit thirsty, averaging about 29 mpg.

Edited at 09:55 PM.
pingufan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
garryboy11
slightly serious Dibber

Ford Explorer

Hi all, just back from a lovely 3 weeks in (mostly) sunny Orlando.

Booked a standard SUV via Virgin Holidays/ Alamo for the three weeks, picking up from MCO.

Flight was delayed c3 hours and when we got to Orlando a lot of flights had been stacked due to weather. That meant immigration was crammed (took us over 2 hours to get through).

Also, when we got to the garage choice was v poor as they were struggling to refill the spaces due to high volume of passengers.

However, I took a tip from on here and asked an Alamo rep very nicely if they had an Explorer. Which after a quick call they did and brought round for me($20 tip).

Lovely car, 480 miles on the clock say nav, cooled seats etc etc. Loved it.

Sorry for pics.

Car would easily take 5 passengers and 4 large(ish) cases.

Edited at 08:04 PM.
garryboy11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 17, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

LAX. Avis

Group W standard SUV.

Ford Edge.

We arrived at LAX at Preferred and number wasn't on screen despite being 2nd rental shown on account.

We booked Standard SUV and they offered a few cars that I wasn't sure about. He didn't mention any Fords. We had 4 cases and I was interested in a Ford Edge which has reasonable boot space.

He went and got me an Edge.

I asked about upgrade possibility, but it was limited to about 7 cars across different groups.

We went for the Edge. Very nice car with just under 10,000 miles. Easily fitted our 4 cases. We had brought our own Sat Nav but not needed as car has working Sat Nav. Also links to bluetooth devices including my phone.

Really impressed with car.

Edited at 06:41 AM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 17, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
scouser
Imagineer

We are here now, booked a premium car through avis with ba flydrive, was given this buick lacrosse with 9k on the clock, it's a 3.5l v6 and goes like a rocket. It,s a peach to drive but there's more controls and screens than the starship enterprise, so my 11 yo son is my designated Co pilot and is showing me how to operate all the tech... I love it.
Ps it's doing about 29mpg

Edited at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
scouser is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List

Tags
alamo, avis, avis preffered, budget, car hire, compact, dollar, full size, hertz, intermediate, midsize, mini van, sixt, standard, suv, thrifty