Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Aug 15, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Virgin will definitely seat under 12 with an adult even if you don't pay to prebook

I've just called virgin special assistance to note DD's disability and ask if she can be seated with 1 adult.

She is 9 and the said that legally they wont seat any child under 12 without an adult.

Hope this helps someone who is wondering whether to pay the seating charge or not.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good to see this, however, who ever told you it was "legal" is incorrect as it's only a CAA recommendation.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Thanks.

I had 5 as an age in my head - wonder if regs used to be different or different for American carriers?

I thought it was useful info for anyone wighing up pros and cons.
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Funkymoover
VIP Dibber

Together could still mean across an aisle or in front/behind each other, I'm fine with that (my kids are 8&10 &will be attached to a piece of technology for the duration so I wont hear a peep from them anyway)but others may not be
May 2012 villa in Windsor Hills
August 2015- Windsor Hills again July/August 2020 - we missed out but new countdown is on for July 23!
Funkymoover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
That's until everyone else has paid and refuses to move ( and rightly so ) . this happening on a Thomas Cook flight we were on and the whole family were separated including children. If you want piece of mind you simply pay.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Funkymoover View Post
Together could still mean across an aisle or in front/behind each other, I'm fine with that (my kids are 8&10 &will be attached to a piece of technology for the duration so I wont hear a peep from them anyway)but others may not be
Exactly! I think some people have the idea that together means next to, it doesn't.
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post

We flew with virgin a year ago now and a family was going nuts at the cabin crew as there was 4 of them 2 adults 2 kids both kids were under 12yrs their seats were 2 sat together father at the far away side of the plane and the other kid in the isle seat half way up the plane so I would not trust virgin as far as I could throw them even pre paying my seat as they give seats away even if you pay the money to select your seats :angry: I really don't have advice for seats VA seem to be a law unto themselves if anything get it in writing that they will sit you together then you have something to present to the checkin staff we have done that before but it was for our disabled passenger as they said they would give them the bulk head seats if not they would guarantee the whole family seated together as if there was sky cots needed they wouldn't get a bulk head seat and we knew that as it had happened before with VA :angry: We now fly BA and have never had any problems(touch wood) with seating arrangements

Edited at 02:00 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
That's until everyone else has paid and refuses to move ( and rightly so ) . this happening on a Thomas Cook flight we were on and the whole family were separated including children. If you want piece of mind you simply pay.
I'd check the conditions of paying if I was you. The airline can move you whenever they want for "operational reasons".

But you are right - if you want to be sure then pay the price. If you are happy to risk it that's your choice.

Other poster was also correct the sit together bit is a CAA guideline - most airlines conform to this as if it was a rule - but it is only a guideline.

Together means a lot of things though - so don't expect seats next to each other they may be separated by being in different rows (17 & 18 say) or across an aisle or in the same block of 4 but not sat together.

When seat selection was "free" but could be done in advance even the hyper organised would most likely give up their seat to accommodate a small family sitting together, now they have to pay you have no chance of passenger empathy - they know you haven't paid, they know they have and someone is asking them to let you have their seat - won't happen unless the paying passenger is an absolute mug
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Minnie 157 View Post
... said they would give them the bulk heat seats ...
Where do you book these heated seats? I'm always cold on the flight - they would be worth paying for
Old 12 Aug 15, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry meant bulkhead seats stupid protective text
Closed Thread