Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Aug 15, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
Has this changed? I haven't been directly involved with such matters since 2006 so maybe legislation has changed. I stand to be corrected as stated cases and changes in the Law happen quite a lot.

As for the police being useless, it can be very difficult to proceed when there are no independent witnesses, they certainly are unlikely to look at proceeding through the courts based on what I have read, the CPS wouldn't support it.

Hopefully 'having a word' is the best that can be done in these circumstances.

I am also aware that criminal and civil action can be taken at the same time, my point was that you could take civil action if you felt any potential criminal proceedings were unlikely.

If you look at this without any personal involvement you can see that any conviction based on uncorroborated evidence was always very unlikely.

Affray.

(1)A person is guilty of affray if he uses or threatens unlawful violence towards another and his conduct is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for his personal safety.

(2)Where 2 or more persons use or threaten the unlawful violence, it is the conduct of them taken together that must be considered for the purposes of subsection (1).

(3)For the purposes of this section a threat cannot be made by the use of words alone.

(4)No person of reasonable firmness need actually be, or be likely to be, present at the scene.

(5)Affray may be committed in private as well as in public places.

(6)A constable may arrest without warrant anyone he reasonably suspects is committing affray.

(7)A person guilty of affray is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years or a fine or both, or on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both.
That is the act as it is, and has been since inception, but, respectfully, you're misreading it - subsection (2) is not saying there has to be two people, but rather that IF there are two people, their conduct must be taken together when considering the offence. To all intents and purposes, (1) and (2) could be entirely separate sections on affray.

I know I'm looking at it through a red mist, and I accept that affray may not be made out, but there's definitely enough for a provoking behaviour. I don't accept that convictions are unlikely where it's simply one person's word against another's - a huge number of cases come forward under these circumstances. But actually I would be happy if the Police took my Mum seriously and treated a shaken lady who is a victim of crime with a bit of compassion rather than like a piece of ****. If they can't do this, they're in the wrong job.

Edited at 10:09 PM.
skalexander is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
That is the act as it is, and has been since inception, but, respectfully, you're misreading it - subsection (2) is not saying there has to be two people, but rather that IF there are two people, their conduct must be taken together when considering the offence. To all intents and purposes, (1) and (2) could be entirely separate sections on affray.

I know I'm looking at it through a red mist, and I accept that affray may not be made out, but there's definitely enough for a provoking behaviour. I don't accept that convictions are unlikely where it's simply one person's word against another's - a huge number of cases come forward under these circumstances. But actually I would be happy if the Police took my Mum seriously and treated a shaken lady who is a victim of crime with a bit of compassion rather than like a piece of ****. If they can't do this, they're in the wrong job.
Agreed
Affray can be 1 person and even if the Police do not pursue matters they must give a rationale and reason why and not just dismiss matters out of hand or push it to a civil pathway to progress to some type of conclusion.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

We'll agree to disagree about the offence as if this hasn't been changed then it has to be 2 people involved that is the whole point of Affray when it says conduct taken together means they don't have to be doing the same thing.

I am looking at this from a police point of view and stand by my comments. If this man is interviewed and makes allegations that your mother was abusive towards him or the dogs were aggressive to him, or that nothing happened where is the evidence that your mother is telling the truth and not him?

I am talking practical policing and this is why I understand their decision in fact I think it is good they are prepared to speak to the man.

Also do you know what the house owner has written into their deeds with regard their right to access and authority to prevent trespass?

Anyway, I love to test my memory and glad it all hasn't escaped me. Hopefully after a nights sleep everyone would have calmed down.

Personally I wouldn't use this route again it sounds like it is a nice walk but not imperative.

Maybe just what I would do - each to their own though.
Old 15 Aug 15, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
We'll agree to disagree about the offence as if this hasn't been changed then it has to be 2 people involved that is the whole point of Affray when it says conduct taken together means they don't have to be doing the same thing.

I am looking at this from a police point of view and stand by my comments. If this man is interviewed and makes allegations that your mother was abusive towards him or the dogs were aggressive to him, or that nothing happened where is the evidence that your mother is telling the truth and not him?

I am talking practical policing and this is why I understand their decision in fact I think it is good they are prepared to speak to the man.

Also do you know what the house owner has written into their deeds with regard their right to access and authority to prevent trespass?

Anyway, I love to test my memory and glad it all hasn't escaped me. Hopefully after a nights sleep everyone would have calmed down.

Personally I wouldn't use this route again it sounds like it is a nice walk but not imperative.

Maybe just what I would do - each to their own though.
We will indeed have to agree to disagree, cos otherwise my colleague of 16 years call has done a very poor job when he's allowed clients to plead to affray without a co-accused!

You can't prevent trespass on land against someone who has the landowner's permission to use it - that's just bonkers. I don't even think you can prevent trespass on land which you only have a right of way over in any event.

We will see what the Police do, but I'm thus far disgusted with their attitude towards my Mum - there are ways of explaining that a conviction will be difficult or unlikely, without treating them like this.
Old 15 Aug 15, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

The guy sounds like a proper idiot, although you are all undoubtedly in the right i agree with the pp, keep away, he sounds like a loose cannon and it's really not worth risking it for the sake of a walk xxx
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Just to clarify I NEVER said there has to be a co defendant to be tried for affray, but as I said we'll agree to disagree (now)

Hopefully the matter will be resolved soon although I very much doubt everyone will be satisfied.
Old 15 Aug 15, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
What a horrible, immature person. Would love to see his face when he gets the letter from your office.

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 15, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
listrywe2012
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

What a nasty man - shame the land owner can't do some repairs to the road by enlarging any potholes (to small pond sizes) ready for filling in - then like many councils taking at least a couple of years to do this. Then no-one including his parents could drive to their house 😉
Probably wouldn't happen but would love to see his face.
I know very petty and likely not allowed but it would be lovely if occasionally bullies got their just desserts.
Old 15 Aug 15, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
What a bully. I hope the Police do call and that the letter has the desired effect. I hate bullies.
Old 16 Aug 15, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
catsandtrees
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
We will indeed have to agree to disagree, cos otherwise my colleague of 16 years call has done a very poor job when he's allowed clients to plead to affray without a co-accused!

You can't prevent trespass on land against someone who has the landowner's permission to use it - that's just bonkers. I don't even think you can prevent trespass on land which you only have a right of way over in any event.

We will see what the Police do, but I'm thus far disgusted with their attitude towards my Mum - there are ways of explaining that a conviction will be difficult or unlikely, without treating them like this.
It better be just 1 person as I have charged loads of people on their own for Affray!
2013 - Sorry kids no trip this year
May 2014 - NYC & Florida trip but no report
2015 - "really mum, no trip again!"
July 2016 - HRH/RPR/Villa - Yay
September 2016 - me and my dad go to Amsterdam
March 2017 - me and my sister go to Iceland
August 2017 - mums 70th birthday surprise family holiday to Lanzarote
catsandtrees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread