Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 31 May 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmaabb
Earning My Ears

Question Best option for a family of 4, villa or onsite?

Hello, first time planning a trip to Orlando, and I literally don't know where to start! There is so much excellent information on this site but now I need to start narrowing it all down and start planning. So, I'm making a start on accommodation;

We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 boys (15 and 11) Hoping to visit either Easter (if not too late to book, or end of July/early August)

We rarely do package holidays, as we very much like our own space, like to explore and do our own thing, and also like to cook/BBQ for ourselves or eat at reasonable restaurants. So I am thinking that a villa would be best.

However they all seem huge! Are we likely to find a 2/3 bedroom villa, with pool and garden or are they better/more cost effective for bigger family groups? What sort of price can I expect to pay for 2 weeks for this type of thing?

If we do go for a villa, which areas are best to look at?
As it's our first visit i suspect we will only do the Disney Parks this time.
With a villa, obviously we will need a car. Is it a pain having to drive and park each day? Is it a massive hike from the car parks to the actual parks? And is the cost of parking high?

The alternative would be to stay in one of the Disney hotels. If we went for this option would we still need a car? How do you get to the Disney water parks/Animal Kingdom etc without? And are you then restricted in terms of where you can eat? (i.e. The parks/hotels only)

I would be really grateful for any advice or guidance.

Many thanks
Emma
Emmaabb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Danielle24
Imagineer

Onsite is obviously more convenient if just doing Disney. If space is an issue why not look at Old Key West in a one bedroom. You will find a 3 bed villa, try to look at villas within 3 miles to Disney for communities close to restaurants. You could also look at a 2 bedroom condo/apartment somewhere in the LBV area.

If you stay onsite at Disney you will not need a car to get to the Disney parks. For days you want to venture out you would be cheaper using Uber. I you want to visit the beach or further afield I would think of hiring for a couple of days though.

Edited at 07:55 PM.
Danielle24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

What about a 2 bed condo.this would give you more space incl kitchen,living room,washing machine etc.we always stay in a condo as two weeks in one room is my idea of hell 😀
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

Hi and welcome
The choice of on site or a villa is one many struggle with, so let me start by answering some of the questions you asked direct.
Car parking is around $20 per day if you don't stay in a Disney property. If you stay on Disney you could have a hire car which would give you flexability to go off site and explore some other restaurants etc. But if you choose not to then you can get free transfers with disney express from Orilando international to your Disney hotel and then use disney buses, boats, monorail to get around within Disney. You would then be restirtcted to Disney which includes Disney springs for places to eat. But you could always book an uber for the odd trip offsite which would be cheaper then a hire car for 2 weeks.
If you were to book the Disney hotel with free dining then that may reduce your issue with restaurants and there are loads of different ones to try.
As for accommodation. If on site most rooms are just that rooms and no extra space unless you book something like the suites.
However if you are off site then the range of options opens up. We stay of site for flexibility and have had villas , town houses and condo's. Each worked out good value and as you have 2 teenagers I would say is the best option as you could get a 3 bed and each person can have their own room. A townhouse maybe a good choice as they tend to be on gated communities and have communal pools which the teens make like. But if you want the private pool etc then a villa is your best option and these are still reasonable when you consider the space your getting.
As for when to go well both are good times, and if you plan carefully each can be reasonable , but you may need to look at flight options including indirect to get the best prices.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mseagle
Apprentice Imagineer

Given there is 4 of you not sure why you wouldn't be looking for a 3/4 bed villa. Not that much more in price and gives you a lot more option to find the right place. Lots of communities at the Kissimmee end of H192 and Clermont at the other end. All within easy reach of the parks. Try Dibb villas or sites like owners direct to give you a feel for the communities and what you get for your money.
mseagle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List