Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 May 19, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
koi
Serious Dibber

Flying to Miami?

Anyone used Miami airport for an Orlando holiday & how was it?
Old 22 May 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

I need to be saving at least £300 between the 4 of us to tempt me and I always price up other florida airports first.

Having said that it's absolutely fine. Just have to cost in a night on the road. I know dibbers do it but I couldn't drive straight up on arrival.

Plus you lose the last day driving back.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have done the Miami flight a couple of times, we decided to have a few nights in the Key's before driving up to Orlando. First night we only drove to a hotel and had an overnight stay before heading down the Keys. So many different options if you prefer to avoid heading straight up to Orlando.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Yeah done a few times. Doesn't feel like we lose any time / days at all as we build in things around the trip to / from Orlando.

We stay over, I wouldn't fancy the drive on arrival - especially if delayed, and either leave for Orlando early (and you will be up early!) next morning, so have been in parks for lunch... or we head to a beach on way up and have a beach day (so no different to taking day out in middle of holiday).

On way back we have been in parks till 6pm then driven down to stay in Miami night before flight, and spend morning before flight at one of the malls - so again no different to having a shopping day.

Was 5 of us at one time, so savings made it well worth it. With 3 this year, we are going down to keys for 3 days, then a 3 day cruise from Miami then a week in Orlando. Flights £368 each (direct).
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
A few times, yes.

Used to be rubbish due to the bus transfer required to get to the car hire place, but it's a monorail/shuttle thing now which is a lot easier.

I always drive straight up when we arrive, but plenty of others crash for the night locally before heading up to Orlando the next morning.

It's an easy enough drive, but you may well be tired at the end of a long day and it's a few hours behind the wheel.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We done it in Feb as flights were £300pp cheaper than Orlando and Tampa. Drove straight up probably getting for 4.5 hours with stops, pretty boring drive as it was dark most of the way. I would say it's manageable as you're only sitting on a plane chilling then the excitement of being there kicks in but also understand an overnight en route suits others and you either pay for a hotel there or in Orlando so no extra cost really.

As mentioned it is a bit of a hassle driving back, we had an 8pm flight and spent the morning at DS, left around 2.

Would I do it again? For the £900 saving absolutely otherwise probably not.
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Also can make a saving on the hotels - we book a cheap Holiday Inn for those 2 nights - so a saving - especially if staying on site at Disney! Luckily petrol is cheap.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
arkv1lla
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 13
Mobile

We've flown into Miami a couple of times but personally I wouldn't drive straight to Orlando after such a long flight and early start.

The airport is huge. It's a really long walk from the gate to the terminal

Sandra
arkv1lla is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
SunshineValley
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by koi View Post
Anyone used Miami airport for an Orlando holiday & how was it?
We did this last year, and to be honest it wasn't too onerous.

We landed at Miami at around 1700, and went to pick up the car etc. We then drove for about 45 minutes north to Weston, and had a comfortable night there.

The next morning, we were all awake early, so started our journey up the US27, taking around 3 1/2 hours, so safely in our villa by mid-morning.

On the way back, had a leisurely drive down, having a Longhorns at lunchtime in the Miami area, and dropped everything off.

Saved us a packet, and was fine.

Would certainly do it again if the price was right - This year, we're direct in to Orlando again.
SunshineValley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Yes we have done it on our last two visits. This is after having huge delays passing through MCO Customs. The last one being four hours with a one year old.

We did MIA first time in 2017 and was through customs and in car in just 45 minutes. Second time in 2018 was even quicker. Due to the fact we are limited to only a few airlines due to oxygen requirements, it always seems so much cheaper as well. Currently direct to MCO for April with BA is showing over 700 pounds yet to MIA its under 400.

I've never felt we have lost any time we just book a later flight on return so can have a slow drive back. This allows us to have lunch in Orlando and do the obligatory sweet shop for friends.

First time we spent three days in Fort Lauderdale which was nice we really do like Miami and surrounding areas. The second time we just spent a night in a airport hotel. We then had breakfast and just bolted up the turnpike. Everybody seems to be up what is considered early the first day any way so not really any time lost.

If you decide to just stay the one night maybe try and spend it in Fort Lauderdale. This allows you to knock of an hour or so on the journey to Orlando. This way you can be their by early mid day.

Personally i prefer it especially in comparison to MCO which i cant stand. Prices are always so much better. I don't think its a bad drive we have done it with our little one who was three at the time. If you don't have a little one you could possible do it via the i95 which has much nicer scenery.

Sorry to waffle but we as a family highly recommend it.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon

Edited at 11:36 AM.
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List