Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 1 Mar 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Web Owls
Excited about Disney

AKL vs YC

Dilemma time for 2021.

Last time we went it was a split stay, a week on site and a week in a Villa. Location was crucial because we only had a week. YC was chosen due to this. Loved it completely from being able to stroll back from Epcot and HS, Boardwalk on the doorstep and being able to choose from a variety of food

Next time we will be onsite for both weeks. AKL comes in cheaper by over £1200. The main thing we want advice on is location and transport. We won't by hiring a car for the first time and the money saved could I suppose by used for taxis if buses are slow.
My husband says it doesn't really matter as we are there for two weeks, while the kids and myself still prefer a central location.
He also said we should try a different resort.

Stormalong bay was another bonus but it got quite busy at times. He says if we want additions Stormalong Bay bring why not so it properly and go to TL or BB.

He also mentioned that for the small inconvenience of having to wait, we would have an extra £1200 to spend on Disney crap, he loves it really.
Any advice from experience would be appreciated, thank you
Hard Rock,Aventura,Portofino 22
Web Owls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

No real expirence to offer but if i was in your position I’d choose AKL every time! I love the look of both the hotels but I think the uniqueness of AKL is really something and worth giving a go! It wouldn’t bother me waiting for busses... that being said I do think being in walking distance at YC is a fab perk! Ultimately for 1200 difference I’d say AKL !
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post

I have stayed at YC, not AKL but would love to as I have visited the resort a lot.

I would not be remotely worried about location, there seems to be a myth that AKL is in some remote location, but a map would show this is not true. The only location advantage I would factor in is that you can walk from YC to Epcot and it is nice to be able to do that. Otherwise it seems just as quick and easy to get around from AKL as it is from anywhere else.

I kind of agree with your husband’s arguments. It is nice to try out different resorts, I would rather do a waterpark than Stormalong Bay and it is a big saving.

I thought YC was lovely by the way, but I would pick AKL this time if I were you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
I love Yacht and Beach Club but I'd love to stay at AKL for a change, it's a really nice resort.

It's a bonus saving £1,200!

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MonkeyNut
Excited about Disney

AKL is lovely and we had no issues getting the buses to parks.
We had a savannah view... AMAZING!

Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando 2013, 2015,2017
Wilderness Lodge 2018 AKL 2019 2022 Mums 70th Beach Club2023
POFQ 2024 and 2025
MonkeyNut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki Mouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Not a lot of help, but we stayed at AKL last time and staying at YC this year.

The choice was made partly because of location and also like to try something new. However, I LOVED AKL, massive wow factor. We never had any issue with transport etc and would very happily go back
Niki Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We weren't keen on AKL-yes it has a wow factor and we had a Savannah room but found it all too dark and too out of the way for everything else. We always stay at Boardwalk as love the location. Having said that for that difference in price I'd go for AKL and spend the money on other things. The pool at AKL was ok.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

We're at AKL right now for the first time and loving it! For a week, yeah I'd choose a more central location, but if you're here 2 weeks, the slightly longer bus ride isn't a big deal. I'd say AKL is still less long than the likes of SSP, as the internal loop there takes 10 full minutes (yes, I timed it last week), PLUS then the 20+ minute drive to most parks!
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
lady hiss
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

We stayed in a Savannah room at AKL and really enjoyed it, watching the animals from the balcony was great.
Having said that the Contemporary was our favourite hotel by miles until October 2018 when we stayed at YC. We loved the position, the room and the pool.
However we booked AKL for this coming September last April due to lower price but the more we chatted we realised we would be comparing it to YC so we changed to YC recently. For us it is about £900 more so it wasn't an easy decision but being able to walk to 2 parks was the deciding factor for us in the end.
lady hiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I haven't stayed at Yacht Club but I have stayed at Beach Club but wish I hadn't. Being able to walk to Epcot is great for World Showcase but if you want to go to Future World it's a bit of a hike, there isn't a bus to the front entrance. I don't think Stormalong Bay is worth the hype, it's very crowded, very noisy, you can't have a relaxing swim/float in it, even at 10.00 at night there are noisy toddlers splashing about in it. I used it my first two days then spent my daytime pool time at Typhoon Lagoon, which I love, and my evening pool time in the BC quiet pool which really was quiet, ideal to chill out and also very close to my room. I haven't stayed at AKL yet - I'm planning to stay there in 2022.

Edited at 09:21 PM.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List