Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Aug 15, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
grannyed
Very Serious Dibber

Jeremy Vine - showing boarding passes when making purchases at the airport

Has anyone heard this? If you are travelling outside of the EU and you are asked to show your boarding pass it is not strictly necessary.
The shops, Boots, WHSmith and others will ask for them and then they can claim back the 20% VAT and they don't pass the saving back to you.

Martin (money making expert) was on there and he said that they will tell you it is required by law but this is untrue. He has refused to show his, on some occasions they have given way, others have refused to serve him. He says that more of us should refuse to show them and then the shops might start offering to 'share' the VAT refund with customers.

Retailers have come back to argue that it costs them more to have retail outlets in airports and so they spread the cost through all of their outlets ie. High Street, pre and post security in aiports etc.

One man said that he'd tried to buy a pack of mints and when he didn't have his boarding pass they refused to sell them to him.

The VaT thing is only relevent if travelling outside of the EU.
grannyed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

I wondered why places like WH Smiths asked for a boarding pass just to buy a bottle of water and a newspaper.
Old 11 Aug 15, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

I've often wondered that. I get that they ask for it in duty free, cos I'm thinking maybe you are only actually entitled to duty free allowance when you are travelling to certain destinations, but obviously you can buy a drink and a newspaper wherever you are going.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball18
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Here is the Telegraph reporting on it telegraph/travel/tr...ort-shops.html
Snowball18 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Heather1957 View Post
I wondered why places like WH Smiths asked for a boarding pass just to buy a bottle of water and a newspaper.
me to and I remember thinking a couple of weeks ago you have showed your boarding pass to get through security so why again

it was the same at florida

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Grump$
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Saratoska View Post
me to and I remember thinking a couple of weeks ago you have showed your boarding pass to get through security so why again

it was the same at florida
You show your boarding pass at U.S. Airport duty free so they send your purchases to the correct plane.
Grump$ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
married2mm
Imagineer

married2mm's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I'm just wondering;

Will dibbers show boarding cards/ phones in future?
married2mm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 15, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread