Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Apr 17, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jbrockwell5081
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 24
Ouchy - think we are being priced out

We're chomping at the bit to book again for October 2018 but it seems we may be getting close to being priced out of our "usual" holiday.

In 2012 a 1 bed OKW including park tickets cost us £3152
In 2015 the same cost us £5012
I've just priced up for next year and we're now showing £6520 for the same again.

I know the dollar rate is rubbish, and I know about inflation - but crikey! And with 2 day Universal tickets looking at £600 for the 4 of us, and flights etc it's all looking rather unmanageable.

I know we would still be able to go if we chose a different resort, perhaps Pop or something but it wouldn't be the same. We have already done an offsite villa and offsite hotels in the past but staying onsite really does make a world of difference; and OKW and Saratoga have given us the space we need while being able to still be at Disney...but £6.5k? Hmmm...that's a good chunk of mortgage right there. Lots to think about.
jbrockwell5081 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

I know !
We have just paid £10,000 for our 3 weeker inc cruise for 2018.
In 2015 we paid £8000 for the same holiday (although I have upgraded this time for AKL and 7 day cruise).
So I think it's about the same price if you take into account the dollar, but just can't stop thinking what a hugh amount of money it is and that we could pay off our mortgage.

However the kids will only be this age once, and I want it to cherish our family times together but it's still eye watering what you look at the figures.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

I know how you feel. We've been lucky enough to do Vegas and a road trip recently, but the price of drinks and even groceries made my eyes water at times. We did find some good deals, like happy hour etc😀 but it still feels like we'll have to wait until the rate improves to justify another US trip. The plan was Florida in 2019 but given the exchange rate and general increase in ticket prices i think we need to revise that until 2020 at least
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I'll be going bi-annually now for the same reason but I'd rather have the resort I want they compromise on that.
Old 22 Apr 17, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post

I hear you completely.

Last year two weeks at SSR with free dining/tickets: £3,500

Next year: £4,600

I just can't make myself book it.

I hope that bookings are down because of the massive increases (or appearances of increases, i.e. the exchange rate). Maybe then we'll see a really good room discount offer when Free DDP finishes. Fingers crossed.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Jacqui I was shocked at the prices, I've been told that the average appears to be £1500 dearer this year, I do know that a 21 Day Ultimate is over 100% dearer than it was 8 years ago! We are fortunate that we own DVC but were trying to save our points for a massive holiday in 2019 but with a 17night SSR stay coming in at £5.5k we have been "forced" to use some of our points. If you factor in food costs I reckon that with spending money we are £2-2.5k more expensive than our holiday last year.
With the current £-$ eating onsite is more expensive that at home, for instance a large pizza at Via Napoli in Epcot worked out at £30!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 17, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Jacqui I was shocked at the prices, I've been told that the average appears to be £1500 dearer this year, I do know that a 21 Day Ultimate is over 100% dearer than it was 8 years ago! We are fortunate that we own DVC but were trying to save our points for a massive holiday in 2019 but with a 17night SSR stay coming in at £5.5k we have been "forced" to use some of our points. If you factor in food costs I reckon that with spending money we are £2-2.5k more expensive than our holiday last year.
With the current £-$ eating onsite is more expensive that at home, for instance a large pizza at Via Napoli in Epcot worked out at £30!
SD
So eat off site. A large pizza at Dominos is $9.99.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
PJB71
Imagineer

Mobile

Flight prices are extortionate ATM for us 😢

We've been so luck and have managed to go every Christmas for the last 18 years & have never paid over £900 pp for PE seats (need to fly PE due to medical reasons) this year there double what we've ever paid & cheapest I've seen so far checking every day is over £1990pp.
PJB71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MrPenguin
Serious Dibber

Mobile

You have to remember Florida was once upon a time a holiday for a lucky few and over the last few years has been a little more accessible for the majority however with Disney receiving growing numbers year on year and with people moaning about crowds they'll keep putting the price up until it plateaus the numbers. This solves both problems then. Less people for the same/more money means slightly less busy too.

I still think you're in for a few more years of increases before a plateau happens in my opinion.

Especially as the UK market is small in terms of Disney visitors.
MrPenguin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 17, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I hear you completely.

Last year two weeks at SSR with free dining/tickets: £3,500

Next year: £4,600

I just can't make myself book it.

I hope that bookings are down because of the massive increases (or appearances of increases, i.e. the exchange rate). Maybe then we'll see a really good room discount offer when Free DDP finishes. Fingers crossed.
Would be nice but I can't see it happening. There was a thread recently about the release of the 2018 DDP and so many people on that thread were booking their holidays for next year.