Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jul 17, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
emzmommy
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by jessie 33 View Post
Are you taking your 8 year old out of a school? I'm not critising I'm just wondering as I have said we should do this but wonder how much trouble we will get in, my children are grown now but my partners are 11
And 8 and for me I would take them out for a week and tie it in with end of August .
Yes i am taking my dd out of school for this holiday she has brilliant attendance and is very clever she will also be takin work to do..if she does it is a different question she never takes time from school for holidays if we do get fined it is £60 per child per parent so for us its £120 for the holiday if a lifetime and how many memories it will make her its worth every penny! In my opinion others have different but each to their own xx
emzmommy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Grimdogg
Trying for More Ears

Hi there - we booked our flights as early as we could - we are flying with Virgin. We did this just after Brexit - we noticed as soon as the uk opted to leave that the pound to dollar exchange dropped.

A large part of why flights have risen so much is that you are paying a large amount of your money for the fuel that jets use. It just so happens that the fuel used is paid for in dollars - so as the exchange rate worsened so did the cost of flying to America.

Nothing good has come from the degradation of the pound in terms of holidaying to the States - it was gutting as we couldn't book flights until after the 31st March which was when T May initiated article 50 - which again impacted the exchange rate.

I predict that if the rate worsens more then the cost of flying will increase more so!

Old 9 Jul 17, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
4andcounting
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We've just booked flights for May 2018.
We got 6 flights (3ad and 3ch) for £2700, booked it as I was really happy with the price.
About to book a car (7 seater) which is coming in at less than £400 for 2 weeks.
Have to say I'm pleasantly surprised at prices so far compared to our 2015 trip 😊
4andcounting is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post

I think it depends when you want to travel. Our Virgin holiday package is exactly the same as last year for 4 weeks in Feb. £2,800 for 2 off site including a fair cooked breakfast
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Grimdogg View Post
Hi there - we booked our flights as early as we could - we are flying with Virgin. We did this just after Brexit - we noticed as soon as the uk opted to leave that the pound to dollar exchange dropped.

A large part of why flights have risen so much is that you are paying a large amount of your money for the fuel that jets use. It just so happens that the fuel used is paid for in dollars - so as the exchange rate worsened so did the cost of flying to America.

Nothing good has come from the degradation of the pound in terms of holidaying to the States - it was gutting as we couldn't book flights until after the 31st March which was when T May initiated article 50 - which again impacted the exchange rate.

I predict that if the rate worsens more then the cost of flying will increase more so!

Ironically I have noticed scheduled flight prices so far (only can look 11 months ahead) seem to be down a bit on last year- certainly indirect via Philly from Manchester and Aer Lingus seem a bit cheaper, albeit Thomas Cook from Manchester look more expensive. 2018 packages via Disney have shot up (OKW 2 bed free dine package for 6, not including flights is £2k more in 2018 than it was in 2016 for same dates). Glad I bought my DVC now when I see that.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Absolute nonsense to blame Brexit. It's like blaming the EU for the drop from $2 to $1.50
It's been around $1.30 for 12 months now.
Yes, Airlines buy fuel by dollars, but that's only half the story, they also agree costs well in advance, not the spot rate.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Brexit gets blamed for everything. Pound to Dollar did drop on Brexit but it isn't down to the extent of Disney's price increases for sure, its down about 10% currently on pre Brexit rate (when they had priced in UK was staying and it was about 1.45), whereas the package I priced up has increased around 30%
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Brexit gets blamed for everything. Pound to Dollar did drop on Brexit but it isn't down to the extent of Disney's price increases for sure, its down about 10% currently on pre Brexit rate (when they had priced in UK was staying and it was about 1.45), whereas the package I priced up has increased around 30%
Exactly. The Americans are moaning about the price increases too and I assume they're not affected by Brexit.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBobby
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We're going in October so have to wait for the flights to come out, have to admit I'm tempted to jump on straight away when the prices come out.

I'm getting around £280-£300 for car rental from Dollor.
DisneyBobby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 17, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

We are paying £4700 for 2weeks, for 2ad 2ch premium seats, staying at AoA, Disney tickets, 7 seater car with gold insurance. We are travelling 24th September and taking daughter out of school. I have already had it approved by headteacher as my daughter has practically perfect attendance. It's the first time we have done it as my husband has a 2 week shut down in august so have always had holiday then but it was too expensive
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List