Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 May 17, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
junpit
VIP Dibber

Incurable cancer - holiday to pay in 4 weeks

Hi

I've decided to dump all this out My wife is 44 and has incurable cancer which had spread to her liver. She's currently doing quite well. Shes very fit.We have a good oncologist in Harley street through bupa.

I booked OKW last April for Aug 2017 and she was diagnosed in August last year. For obvious reasons we couldn't really plan to go. No insurance etc. if I'd paid for stuff early on as my bank account insurance didn't cover her.

We're just about to have some radiotherapy after her 8 courses of chemo and successful ablation. We'll have 4-5 weeks before our August holiday and we've been advised we'll be OK for the trip.

So my booking has to be paid in 3 weeks, I have no flights, no insurance for her cancer. I just need a cancer only policy as I have cover for the non-cancer parts like if she fell down and sprained an ankle. Disney will let me adjust the timing of my stay as I see fit.

MY plan is to do 9-10 days in OKW somewhere in between 17-31 August. I intend doing approx 7 days on I-Drive prior to this stay. Any suggestions at this point.

My biggest worry is flights and the insurance. Unfortunately most of the insurers wont touch her until shes finished her treatment.

Any opinions on a good insurer for her? Like I said shes very fit and well at the moment and the oncologist expects her to be in August.

As for flights, the most I've paid for flights in approx 2300 in August for 4 people going indirect. Are there any sales due which might make things easier? We don't mind indirect but cant really entertain a massive duration or 2+ stops.

Thanks

Darren
Saratoga Springs (2013)Marriott Courtyard - LBV (2011)
Clarion Inn - LBV (2009)Quality Inn Plaza x 4 (2002 - 2007)
Best Western Plaza (2000)
junpit is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I am so sorry for what you are all going through. Your wife is so young, but she sounds like an incredibly brave woman.

I don't really know about insurance. But we got our August flights through Virgin, opting to fly from Heathrow. It brought up indirect flights which were very reasonably priced. I paid about £500pp with a two hour connection in Washington Dulles. Leaving the UK at 7.30am and arriving in Orlando at 2:50pm.
I also use travel republic a lot for flights.

Sending my thoughts and prayers. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and that treatment is able to give you a lot more time with your wife.
Old 20 May 17, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

I have no advice regarding the insurance but we have just booked a fly drive with Virgin in their sale for £400pp direct travelling on 18th July. August 18-19th tends to drop in price so give Virgin a try.

Good Luck
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'd speak to MacMillian for advice about which insurance companies would be most helpful. Likely to be very expensive though.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post

I had breast cancer four years ago at the age of 39 and the only insurance company who gave me a reasonable quote 18 months after diagnosis was InsuranceWith. The company was started by a woman who had had cancer herself and was struggling to get insurance for a decent price. You can get a quote online. I am so sorry to hear about your wife's stage 4 diagnosis but I'm presuming you are at the LOC? and they have fantastic results. Some of my friends are living with stage 4 cancer and have done for many years as it's well controlled. I hope you have a wonderful holiday xxx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I cannot help with insurance. Want to wish you all the best.
What type of accommodation are you looking for on idrive - hotel - or condo/apartment. We have never stayed on idrive - but if we were would choose Vista Cay.
There are lot's of timeshare type accommodation places at South end of Idrive with trolley access.

If it's a hotel on idrive - go to google maps and scroll up and down to see what you would like where.

Good luck with the flights - google flights is a good way to see what's available and someone here posted ITA software - which I have not used - but probably similar to google

edited to add - lot's of good accommodation choices at Lake Beana Vista - not far from idrive and Uber supposed to be very good if you are not driving.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

No advice sorry but want to wish you and your family all the best x
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Ok so we are also off in August, I have suffered with bladder all clear now but my wife (42) has metastatic inflammatory breaststroke cancer which has spread to her bones and recently left lung. Insurance is out there and not that expensive when you consider the cost of treatment. We paid £247 single trip with all conditions declared and covered with a company called "insurewith" that covers 2 adults 1 12 year old. Cover limited to £500,000 medical which will be more than enough.I believe it's run by a ex cancer sufferer. Also try LV they were very cheap when we did NYC last October but wouldn't cover us after the spread to the lung.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

MacMillan or Cancer UK might have details of insurance companies that would cover your wife.

Best wishes to your wife and you, I hope you manage to go away and have a good relaxing holiday.

Linda xx
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 17, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Cavvy
a Friend of the DIBB

Hi

try this link?

macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/travel-and-holidays/travel-insurance
Cavvy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List