Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Aug 17, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

For those who've booked the Cardiff glitch ...

Feeling a bit nervous about committing. Anyone booked and feels they have their head round it? We'd be going out on Monday 23rd in the evening from Cardiff, which says rail but is it actually coach? Then we'd be on the later BA flight out on 24 /7.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

I've booked it. We are going on the 1st April returning on 15th. I'm nearer London than Cardiff so planning on dropping a car with luggage in it at Heathrow the day before - will return home, grab kids and train to Cardiff to overnight in a hotel. Will then take the National Express - which is what the 'first leg' ticket is to LHR, grab our car, drive to LGW, park and fly off. On return we'll simply drive home from LGW, ditching the last leg of the ticket which is a train from LHR to Cardiff.
My understanding is that you MUST take the first leg which is on my ticket a coach or the ticket could be cancelled. You also are responsible for transfer between LHR and LGW, but there is a regular coach service between the airports. We are an hour from LHR so for us dropping the car off will be less hassle than dragging children and cases across London. Plus we want to be able to drive straight home at the end.
I can't normally afford BA but on the couple of flights I've taken with them the service has been great.

Edited at 04:46 PM.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

I spoke to a gentleman at Opodo about an hour ago but he didn't fill me with a lot of confidence as he didn't seem to have any proper information about the first leg of the journey. He couldn't offer me the option of the earlier return flight (though it's showing online) plus he told me that I couldn't get the tax back on my son's adult fare (he'll be 14 when we travel). Also, I wanted to pay part credit card (for the security) and most on my debit card, which they couldn't do. I'm going to sit tight overnight and keep an eye on the prices. If they drop any more, then I don't think I can afford to ignore them. As it is, if we could get BA Flydrives for around about £660 / £670 it would work out the same as doing the Cardiff option with the additional cost of the car / travel etc. We got them for £500 last year, so I'm holding out a bit of hope.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Taking and leaving the car at Heathrow sounds like a good plan
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

I've booked it.
£3300 for 5 adults and 2 children.
Going up to Heathrow on the 21st July
which is a sat night and then the flight is the later one on the Sunday, returning mon Aug 13th. Not sure if it's a bus or train journey up but it does say rail.
Just need to book a gatwick airport hotel and then transfer from Lhr to that hotel.
Being from just outside Cardiff this is a no brainier deal for me.
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by willmatt View Post
I've booked it.
£3300 for 5 adults and 2 children.
Going up to Heathrow on the 21st July
which is a sat night and then the flight is the later one on the Sunday, returning mon Aug 13th. Not sure if it's a bus or train journey up but it does say rail.
Just need to book a gatwick airport hotel and then transfer from Lhr to that hotel.
Being from just outside Cardiff this is a no brainier deal for me.
Fantastic news! I still can't get my head around how the train will communicate with BA that you've actually got on because no one checks you onto a train and knows you've got on it. We're in the same position as you and live just outside Cardiff. The dates aren't late enough for us yet and I doubt I'll be lucky enough for them to hang around but I'm very tempted to get on the train with kids and send DH to wait on Heathrow to pick us up! I'll get a stranger to pose as him on the train - do you think that will work!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
Fantastic news! I still can't get my head around how the train will communicate with BA that you've actually got on because no one checks you onto a train and knows you've got on it. We're in the same position as you and live just outside Cardiff. The dates aren't late enough for us yet and I doubt I'll be lucky enough for them to hang around but I'm very tempted to get on the train with kids and send DH to wait on Heathrow to pick us up! I'll get a stranger to pose as him on the train - do you think that will work!
That's something I'm thinking of doing tbh, but Maybe I will turn up at train station but then drive to Heathrow.
I'm not sure how it will all work out either, I can't really see how they could link train ticket to flight ticket etc.
When you enter the booking ref on the ba site it does all show up and includes the Cardiff to London train leg.
willmatt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 17, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by willmatt View Post
That's something I'm thinking of doing tbh, but Maybe I will turn up at train station but then drive to Heathrow.
I'm not sure how it will all work out either, I can't really see how they could link train ticket to flight ticket etc.
When you enter the booking ref on the ba site it does all show up and includes the Cardiff to London train leg.
Funnily enough the date I've got my eye on for departure would be the same as yours so we'll team up and pretend various members of the family are in the toilet at different times! It's got to work. I've got so long to wait for my ideal return date to open that I think the offer will be long gone unfortunately!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
willmatt
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
Funnily enough the date I've got my eye on for departure would be the same as yours so we'll team up and pretend various members of the family are in the toilet at different times! It's got to work. I've got so long to wait for my ideal return date to open that I think the offer will be long gone unfortunately!
It's a plan lol.
Hopefully the dates you need will still be on offer.
Old 29 Aug 17, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
rsvdaz
Apprentice Imagineer

I've been emailing Accessrail regarding the first leg and pointed out there's a gapin the itinerary they now said get in touch with BA. I did try yesterday and got through to their overseas call centre, they didn't really understand the logistics. I'm going to email BA and Opodo today and emphasis the gap and connecting time to see if common sense will prevail
rsvdaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List