Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Oct 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by samsparro View Post
1. Disney don't release their rooms until 500 days before. We booked our holiday with virgin on the 28th April, which apparently is more than 500 days so when we booked it virgin didn't even know if there was availability!
Do Virgin say such bookings are provisional? If not, then on the face of it that sounds outrageous.

What happens for flights - does VH get advance confirmation of those? Normally they're not released until a bit less than a year before.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
samsparro
I want to go now!

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
Do Virgin say such bookings are provisional? If not, then on the face of it that sounds outrageous.

What happens for flights - does VH get advance confirmation of those? Normally they're not released until a bit less than a year before.
No mention of it being a provisional booking at all.

I imagine if you booked and Virgin said “we can’t confirm it till XXXX”, then you might not go ahead with the booking!

Flights wise, it’s with their airline so I imagine that you will always get a seat with them 👍🏻
samsparro is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
samsparro
I want to go now!

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Just thought I'd add, Virgin's Ts&Cs state the following with regards to changes made by them (I've put some important parts in bold):

"If we have to make a Major Change or cancel, we will tell you as soon as possible and if there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of the following options:

(for Major Changes) accepting the changed arrangements or

Purchasing alternative arrangements from us, of a similar standard to those originally booked if available (if the chosen alternative is less expensive than your original one, we will refund the difference but if it is more expensive, we will ask you to pay the difference) or

Cancelling or accepting the cancellation in which case you will receive a full and quick refund of all monies you have paid to us.
"

It sounds like they are not following their own Ts&Cs.

ETA: It also sounds like they are in violation of regulations 12 and 13 of the EU Package Travel Regulations
That’s a great link for the package travel regulations, thank you very much 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

An official complaint is going in with Virgin this weekend as per the advice from that link. I am happy to give them chance to rectify the issue, I think it’s only fair.

But, having spoken to the gaffer in our household about stopping at the AKL, she just doesn’t want to accept that one. She wants to stay at the contemporary. She’s set her heart on it.
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
samsparro
I want to go now!

Mobile

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
They won't do anything in store. I tried that with ours!
At the minute it is the manager from Meadowhall that has taken this on.

I can’t fault the store or the staff there, they are the window into the company, and Michelle (store manager) does appear on the face of it to be taking it on and trying to sort it all out. I’ve got to give her chance to sort it...
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
samsparro
I want to go now!

And one more thing I was thinking about...

Our chances of actually staying at The Contemporary on the dates we have booked are virtually zero.

When on the phone with Disney she said the only rooms left were club level, and a quick check of that on the Disney website shows the price for the room of £14,000!

What’s the chances of Virgin sorting that?

Which makes this all the more painful...

Edited at 10:06 AM. Reason: Adding to post
Old 14 Oct 17, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1

Our chances of actually staying at The Contemporary on the dates we have booked are virtually zero.

When on the phone with Disney she said the only rooms left were club level, and a quick check of that on the Disney website shows the price for the room of £14,000!

This sort of thing really annoys me, travel agents get an advance allocation which they sell in good faith to the likes of you and me, as a convention resort I bet the CR requires more rooms at the time you are there for convention guests and Disney has reined in VH’s advance allocation, once the rooms are physically confirmed (ie past the advance room allocation stage) it’s not so easy for Disney to allocate to convention guests.

VH were in the wrong definitely for not telling you sooner but I bet (from past experience staying at convention resorts) this is down to Disney US. :angry:

I hope you get it sorted, at the very least something you are happy with and not just shoe-horned in where there is availability with VH. Disney need to sort this out.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
HEARTDISNEY
A Guest at All-Stars

I hope you get it sorted. I'm in the same boat, booked with Virgin Holidays in April 2017 for a two week holiday in August 2018 at Old Key West. They have now said there is no availability. Unfortunately as it is Old Key West it was a provisional booking so I don't think I have the same rights as you do.

I emailed Kathy on Thursday but didn't get a reply but again as it was provisional I don't know if that will count against me with getting her help.

Good Luck!
HEARTDISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Mobile

Well that's booking with Virgin Holidays out for me as well, having read this thread

It's becoming not worth booking with a package provider. One of the reasons used to be customer care and convienience.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

We got told that as well, but Disney did sort it.

Also can't fault the girls in our store, BUT they couldn't do anything more than we could which was sitting on the phone to those who deal with Disney bookings. Can't fault the store, but the rest was shocking.

Going back to DIY in future.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 17, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bal View Post
Well that's booking with Virgin Holidays out for me as well, having read this thread

It's becoming not worth booking with a package provider. One of the reasons used to be customer care and convienience.
Unfortunately it can also happen if you book direct, different friends have been downgraded at Disney resorts despite booking direct.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List