Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 31 Dec 17, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mouseketeer84
Trying for More Ears

Can anyone help recommend a Car please

Hi Guys

Looking to book our car hire soon - can anyone help with which car we should pick please? We are 4 adults and a 14yr old. We will be taking my dads mobility scooter with us, so will have 5 cases, 5 hand luggage and the scooter. Do you think we would all fit in an intermediate SUV? The only time it will be a squeeze if from / to the airport.
Should be make 2 trips and go with a smaller car?
Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!
mouseketeer84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
99plums
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mouseketeer84 View Post
Hi Guys

Looking to book our car hire soon - can anyone help with which car we should pick please? We are 4 adults and a 14yr old. We will be taking my dads mobility scooter with us, so will have 5 cases, 5 hand luggage and the scooter. Do you think we would all fit in an intermediate SUV? The only time it will be a squeeze if from / to the airport.
Should be make 2 trips and go with a smaller car?
Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks!
Might be a squeeze in an Int SUV, I would say at least a STD SUV or a seven seat minivan might be best for your requirements.
99plums is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Lets be honest I suspect the 14yr old is the size of an adult?
In that situation no way would I want 3 adults in the back seat of a Standard or an Intermediate SUV. Plus the chair will need plenty of room.

My view is a 7 seater. No issues with everybody being cramped, the luggage will fly in and the chair will also fit but wont get compromised and maybe broken.

If your looking ref the trip relating to your conuntdown you have a long wait yet before booking. However it's never too early to research prices for as far out as you can currently go just to spot trends and find deals etc.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

I think you might find a full size suv ( 7 seater ) would be more suitable for your needs.
Last Easter we had a intermediate suv for me my husband and 12 yr old daughter... it was a squeeze. We had 2 cases and 2 hand luggage.
The hand luggage went on the back seat with my daughter!
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
mouseketeer84
Trying for More Ears

Thanks all. Yes my 14 year old is already taller than me!
I did think of a 7 seater but a work colleague said the back seats don't fold down, so it wouldn't be worth getting that?
We do have the luxury of time on our side but I could book it now with Virgin, so just wondered everyone's opinion. We went last month and had an intermediate SUV. This was fine then as we stayed onsite and used the magical express. The next time we are staying off site.

Thanks again.
mouseketeer84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by mouseketeer84 View Post
Thanks all. Yes my 14 year old is already taller than me!
I did think of a 7 seater but a work colleague said the back seats don't fold down, so it wouldn't be worth getting that?
We do have the luxury of time on our side but I could book it now with Virgin, so just wondered everyone's opinion. We went last month and had an intermediate SUV. This was fine then as we stayed onsite and used the magical express. The next time we are staying off site.

Thanks again.
If you hunt back through my posts that I created you will find I posted loads of photos of the rear of Standard SUV's as I was asked to specifically do this ref getting 2 x wheelchairs in. That will give you an idea of rear cabin space and which to avoid.

Edit I am 99% certain the rear seats fold flat to the floor in a Town & Country and Caravan models.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 07:13 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Both the Dodge caravan and much superior Pacifica have the Stow and go seating system that allows totally flat folding seats.
From your post sees most practical choice.
Enjoy
Old 2 Jan 18, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Edit I am 99% certain the rear seats fold flat to the floor in a Town & Country and Caravan models.
100% they do, they fold down so its totally flat.

We used ours like that to do the downtown disney check in, i had 13 cases in and all the hand luggage with a stroller. used it as a proper minivan! haha
Old 2 Jan 18, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PJB71
Imagineer

Why don’t you maybe think about using a transportation company?

We use floridatransport and have used them for years and there service has always been fantastic.

Basically they collect you from the airport and handle all your luggage they even have a trailer if you need it, stop off enroute to your accommodation for a quick supermarket shop then the next morning take you for your car hire and then you actually only need a vehicle that will accommodate the ECV whilst your there. They will even source you a vehicle with a boot big enough to take the ECV (I have an ECV but can’t remember the people carrier was they they got us last year)
PJB71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

No, I agree, either a full size SUV like the Chevy Tahoe or the 7 seater MPV.
However, If your motorised chair is large and heavy, the MPV is better as its lower to the ground and a little higher roof.

When we go, I rent a light weight motorised chair whilst there and they are lighter and break down so either an SUV or MPV are OK.

Don't forget to apply for your temporary disabled permit as well.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List