Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 8 Dec 17, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Eerbeer17
Earning More Ears

Mobile Alamo prices August 2018

Currently looking for prices for our trip in August (7 till 30) and am really shocked about the Alamo prices compared to the other rental companies! Does anyone know what is up with that!?
I always rent with Alamo so I am a bit hesitant about rental with another company.
Thnx
Eerbeer17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

They have a peak season surcharge in effect for all rentals that start on and between 1st July to 15th August. If you don't want to use another rental company then it'd be worth doing a split rental with the second one starting on 16th August and it should work out cheaper for you.. But 7th to 16th will still be expensive.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Andy has highlighted the peak summer issue with Alamo. But dont forget that there are a multitude of 3rd party suppliers out there.
Give Virgin Atlantic a little look as they do Alamo rentals and aren't as badly affected by the surcharge as others.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Eerbeer17
Earning More Ears

Thanks for the tip, will have a look at those.
But as far as I can remember this is the first year they have such a surcharge.
Last year in August the prices were a lot lower. Any chance they Wil remove the surcharge at a later date?
Eerbeer17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Mmm. Difficult to say. I must say this price hike does seem higher than normal. But for insane prices check out early March. Can't work out what that is all about either.

I tend to book early but with a company that allows free cancellations.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Book with whoever gets you free cancellation and the lowest price you can find.
check daily and if price goes down, rebook and cancel previous one

you could book with Andy who posted above. You can book without a deposit, and he's really good at amending reservations when price go down.

I will also give my german link again
alamo-affiliate.de/generi..._code=AL020683
no conditions or affiliation needed. includes prepaid tank of fuel. Upgrade to gold for additional drivers. Free cancellation up to 5 days out, direct with alamo (OLCI, STC)
the price goes down during the weekend so check saturdays and sundays
I've booked our august rental, 22 days, intermediate SUV for 710€ (£610) back in september, and price goes up and down, but is a around 720€ during the week end (price is in euros so consider bank/change fees)

from my experience for last august rental, prices were mental most of the year, but I cancelled and rebooked on july 16 for an august 4 rental, at a very good price (half price compared to what I had seen all year long). I even booked a Std SUV for less than the best price I had found for the fullsize saloon I had booked for that trip.

so, as previously mentionned, book a car, with free cancellation, and a price you're willing to accept, to lock a price in, and keep checking . Amend or Rebook/Cancel (in that order to avoid being caught by glitches) whenever the price moves in your favor.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

VA/Alamo cheaper for my dates (13th thru 27th) - £411 for an Intermediate SUV vs £800-odd through Alamo Brits... still got the free second driver, can still pick up at DCCC.

Would prefer to throw custom Andy's way, but I guess Virgin's pull with the vendor is greater... and nearly £400/$520 is a good few nice meals out at the end of the day.
Old 8 Dec 17, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
VA/Alamo cheaper for my dates (13th thru 27th) - £411 for an Intermediate SUV vs £800-odd through Alamo Brits... still got the free second driver, can still pick up at DCCC.

Would prefer to throw custom Andy's way, but I guess Virgin's pull with the vendor is greater... and nearly £400/$520 is a good few nice meals out at the end of the day.
Same for me (although for a Standard SUV), paid ~£520-530 through Virgin (can cancel if prices improve) and elsewhere it's £1000+

Edited at 12:56 PM.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Eerbeer17
Earning More Ears

Can figure out why, but VA and VH gives me the message Sorry, there is no availability for the dates you have selected... Dates are 7-30 of august, pickup at MCO.

@CHMURF, thanks for the german link. Those prices are looking better then alamo/brits and don't worry about the change fee, I am paying in euros!
Old 8 Dec 17, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

for the german link have a look during the weekend
currently my 22 days august rental for int suv is 820€ but during the weekend it usually drops down to 720€
my rental dates are 3/8/18 -> 25/8/18

Originally Posted by Eerbeer17 View Post
Can figure out why, but VA and VH gives me the message Sorry, there is no availability for the dates you have selected... Dates are 7-30 of august, pickup at MCO.

they're a pain, they will only let you book for full weeks (7, 14, 21 days) any *non-full-week* duration will receive the error message.

you may try this for Virgin
alamo/partners/air...n-atlantic/gb/

looks like you only need to input your Virgin FF flyer number to qualify (and such account is free anyway, so it's not a big hassle to create one)

I did not see any restriction or requirement, so if anyone is aware of a caveat please let us know.

Edited at 01:10 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List