Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 11 Feb 18, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I enjoy the planning but I literally only plan the fast passes and ADRS when we're onsite. We're doing 5 nights this year so the rest of the trip we will decide on the day.

We're doing onsite at universal first and I love that the only thing that needs planning is what park opens early & where I'm going to drink some cocktails in the evening 😄😂

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

I actually quite enjoy all the planning. We have adr’s booked, never more than one a day.
Will book fastpasses this week

However if we want to change things around or not do something that’s fine. It’s always easier to cancel
I changed loads last time

MK today, according to touring plans is 7/10 busy and the only thing you can’t get a fastpass for is 7dmt. Most times our 9.30-10
Buzz lightyear 1pm, space mountain 11am

You can do as little or as much as you want
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
If you don’t want to do it. Then don’t.

You need to prebook about 3 rides. FOP being the most difficult. For everything else you can make fastpasses the night before or on the day.

Same with restaurants. Make an ADR a few hours before and you’ll have the choice of most places (but not everywhere)

We book rides for every day but we change them all the time.

Edited at 01:35 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
If you don’t want to do it. Then don’t.

You need to prebook about 3 rides. FOP being the most difficult. For everything else you can make fastpasses the night before or on the day.

Same with restaurants. Make an ADR a few hours before and you’ll have the choice of most places (but not everywhere)

We book rides for every day but we change them all the time.
As above ^ . You don’t have to plan everything.

Remember that DIBBers are not your typical Disney visitors. Here on the Dibb we like to plan a lot more than the average visitor.

I’ll give an example. Last time we visited, a friend of ours and her daughter also visited. They planned nothing. This friend works for Thomas Cook and just turned up to the airport looking for an available flight. They booked a hotel online whilst waiting to board the flight. They bought tickets over there. They booked their fastpasses on the day or the night before. They just turned up at restaurants (I think they mostly ate at quick service places or offsite). They just went with the flow. Sure, they probably missed out on a couple of rides because they couldn’t get fastpasses and the standby line was too long. But then they knew that going in (and its no different than visiting theme parks elsewhere - you often can’t do everything). They still had a wonderful time.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
MissRed
Excited about Disney

This year will be my first time going with the FP+ system, and the first time as the actual trip organiser. It's been 10 years since my last trip, and that was with my parents. This time it's just me and the OH and I am fully in the driving seat as the Disney nut.
My first thoughts were the same, I couldn't believe you had to book everything so early in advance now! It was a massive turn off for me. However, I've got a loose plan, and I plan to book ADRs at 180 days out and FP+ at 60 days out according to this plan. However, I'm happy to rearrange things if/when we have a change of heart. I think once we've done 1 day in each park and ticked off the headliner rides, we'll play it by ear a lot more. As long as we don't cancel any ADRs within 24 hours, I figure we won't lose out either way!
YC '08
AKL '18
MissRed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Cliftonite
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
The next stage with Disney will be FP's for toilet stops.
What you mean you don't already have those within your plan!

Completely agree, Planning is as complex as you want it to be. Certainly our planning is very different to our last trip in 2013, and our 1st week in Disney will be more "managed" than the 2nd week in Universal when I think we will be chilling more.

But don't be afraid to go 'Off Plan" if necessary - though that thought scares my OCD a little - it is sometimes the flexibility where the surprises happen xxx

2008 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2011 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2013 WL (2 weeks) ~~~ 2018 OKW & Portofino
Cliftonite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
elliecjno1
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I'm finding all your responses really interesting, glad to know its not just me who gets a bit wound up by it but by what everyone has said the key is not being afraid to cancel/switch/change things to suit how the day is going. I think after all the planning & reservations etc its easily to forget its not actually set in stone!

Does amuse me though a day in a Disney Park for me consists of list starting with breakfast plan, if theres any EMH, any ADR plans or suggestions for QS options, any FP's I want & any evening shows

Universal . . . rock up & get on with it
April '18 - WDW - POFQ & Emerald Island Villa

MAY '20 - WDW - POFQ & AMI CANCELLED BY COVID
elliecjno1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We hate it but each to their own.
We choose not to visit WDW any more because of the 'Ultra' planning needed. I'm a planner but it's got stupid now.

We would go to the 'After Hours' event, and have done but not if the cost was extortionate.

West Coast Visits-5
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

There are those who enjoy it, and those who really don't, I can certainly understand both points of view. Arguably it shouldn't be necessary, but if you aren't a regular visitor you may be trying to cram more into the holiday than would otherwise be necessary. In the interest of making sure the the experience is the best it could be, it's a great asset to be a detailed plannet, not so you have a regimented plan you implement to the letter because that never happens, but because it means you have the knowledge that allows you to make the best decisions when the plan needs to be altered.

If you travel off-peak you can certainly get away without any sort of plan and just roll with it which is how holidays arguably should be. During any busy period though, visiting theme parks (this is mainly a problem with Disney though other places are also affected) it's actually quite disheartening if you take a punt and get it wrong. Fastpass reservations are not widely available on the day of travel for any attraction they'd be useful for and without them, queues can be quite unmanageable.

Case in point, when the neat little plan I organised was continuously going out the window in the first part of our last trip due to accommodating the kids' needs I was tempted to throw in the towel, it was deeply frustrating. In the second week however we visited MK on an unscheduled day with no FP reservations due to one of them being ill. It was frankly awful and made me really glad I went to the effort of planning all the other days. 210 min wait for Seven Dwarves, 150 min for Big Thunder, 70 mins for Pirates of the Caribbean and 60 for Haunted Mansion, not much fun at all, we bailed the two former rides as nobody was (quite rightly) prepared to wait that long. Most of the main attractions in MK were shut down that day which led to the long queues, Space Mountain only opened in the afternoon and I was determined to ride it, so I went on it at park closing by myself, still waited 76 mins.

With the new perks being offered to on-site guests I can see FP+ reservations being even more difficult to get hold of. Turning up at Disney during school holidays without a plan is, in my opinion, not going to lead to a fun visit. Outside those times, however, I'm sure it'll be quite reasonable.
Old 11 Feb 18, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We don’t stay onsite and don’t plan, we are doing a couple of Disney Days and go with the flow. We would like to visit Pandora in Ak and go on FOP and I will try to get a fast pass. We are eating at Ohana and the rest is offsite, We did plan our first few visits but it stressed me up, now just enjoy the Florida sun and talk about what we are doing the night before. Just staying in The Villa swimming pool suits me!