Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Feb 18, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by alisonjones View Post
Blimey I’ve missed out on everything... missed out on when the government gave money for newborns, missed out on getting any help with child care whilst working, my kids missed out on ema in school, and now will miss out on this as I will be too old by then
Me too not to mention missed out getting my pension at 60!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Well I am still confused about it 🤔 although it doesn’t take much to confuse me x x x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Well I am still confused about it 🤔 although it doesn’t take much to confuse me x x x
Me too...but that’s probably as I only read the headline. I’ve never qualified for anything so applied the same logic here!

I like the idea of it being given if you need it for something. I need a Disney fix. Does that count?
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DadToThree
VIP Dibber

Mobile

As others have mentioned it’s not a policy.

I think it’s certainly an interesting idea, not one I’d expect to ever happen but it may at least create much needed debate about the cost of living in this country and how as a country we can look to address this.
DadToThree is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

I've not read the original article so it may be something different but this sounds much like the "citizens basic income" or "social wage" which has been suggested quite often in the last few years.

There are different models suggested but VERY basically, every one over 16 whether working, not working, retired etc. would receive a base level of income lets say 10k. (very importantly, it has to be enough to live on so that may well not be a sensible figure). It completely replaces all state benefits, allowances, state pensions etc.

It's paid for by the usual tax system and there's a suggestion in some models that companies would be taxed highly every time they replace a human worker with a robot/software and that would be added to fund the basic citizen income.

What does it do? Well it's a very simple system relative to means tested stuff. Everyone gets a base and then if you want to work to earn more you can. There's nothing putting you off doing even a few hours work because that won't erode your base income, you'll still get your 10k so anything else you earn is yours (less tax if you earn more than a certain amount of course).

If you're treated like rubbish in your current role? you have a proper safety net, you can say that's it, I quit and know that you've still got your basic income coming in.

Similarly, if you want to start your own business, you have that income coming in to tide you over when times are tough, so it could actually promote new business.

It can be altered to be more "fair" because it very effectively redistributes the wealth from the high top end via progressive tax (more you have the more you pay) to a "flat" income for *everyone* and of course, you can very easily adjust the taxes on millionaires/billionaires/companies and put every penny earned back into upping everyone's basic income.

Don't know if that helps or makes it even more confused ;-) but in a world changing as quickly as ours is, when we're perhaps five years (or less) out from not needing a lot of humans to do jobs like driving etc., perhaps we do need to be looking for something new?

Clearly it's next to impossible to stop technology replacing us, but if companies had to pay the same wages they saved by going all robot, into a social fund, perhaps it would avoid mega-rich companies and avoid a crisis where the only people who can afford anything are the few people who own the completely automated companies?
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Blimey I’ve missed out on everything... missed out on when the government gave money for newborns, missed out on getting any help with child care whilst working, my kids missed out on ema in school, and now will miss out on this as I will be too old by then
Me too, plus kids have had the most expensive tuition fees and ridiculous interest applied to them too!
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Same here. Add mortgage tax relief, married mans tax allowance, retirement at 65 , bus pass at 60 to that list.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
If people don’t have jobs they can’t buy things so what will all the robots be making?
And what happens to over 55’s?

Don’t understand it either.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
I've explained to my son until I'm blue in the face if he doesn't start learning code now he will regret it.
Even coders aren't safe I'm working on projects now where we are building systems that can write their own code processes based on our instructions, so you need to be an exceptional coder to be exempt from the robot squeeze
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Same here. Add mortgage tax relief, married mans tax allowance, retirement at 65 , bus pass at 60 to that list.
You missed out the removal of tax rebates for private school fees as well. I think that one was unfair, private schooling makes the state systems affordable, but the parents who out for that pay twice once to the school and secondly in tax to pay for the state system they don't access. In the past you could get tax relief on school fees - that sounds fair - although a policy like this won't win many elections
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List