Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 18, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Advice needed re selling my Dads house

Hi all,

My Dad had a major stroke in June and is now in a nursing home (to the tune of £1,100 a week).

NHS were paying the fees, but that stops next week. We were told that it shouldn't be an issue for us to run up a debt with the home whilst selling Dads house. Fast forward to yesterday, we were told after investigation that they cannot offer this to us (neither could the council), due to Dad owning a home in Weymouth and a small apartment in Lanzarote. We're up sh** creek, as Dad doesn't have much savings.

So what I need to ask is this... what do I need to think about re selling the house asap. I'm guessing I need an energy certificate and boiler service before it can go on the market? I've not much of a clue, as I haven't bought a house in 20+ years.

Thought I'd say to the estate agent "first time buyers or cash buyers only", as that would at least speed up the process, wouldn't it?

I live over 2hrs drive away (can only drive that far one day and back the next, due to disability) and of course to make matters really awkward, I'm off on a well deserved holiday in a week.

Totally stressed out and wishing I hadn't booked the holiday now, but it is what it is.

Any pointers and things to look out for would be really welcome... a little bit of fairy dust wouldn't go amiss either.
Old 21 Feb 18, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Oh dear, sorry to read this and not an easy thing to have to deal with.

I never had to get to this stage with my late Mum but I had researched it all beforehand as I could see it looming.

Firstly don't rush or panic. They will not be making Dad homeless and evicting him from the Home.

Get a good local Estate Agent and they will tell you everything you need. Energy Cert, FENSA cert (if applicable ref glazing) Gas Saftey Cert etc etc. Let them earn their money and haggle them to a decent fixed price fee not a % of the sale.

Get a Solicitor appointed as well, preferably in the same Town/City as the Estate Agent and again get a fixed fee. Shop around but do some Internet searches for reviews. I used the one recommended by the Estate Agent but I knew them well anyhow. They did me a good deal.

Finally I would be challenging why the NHS have stopped paying. Take nothing at face value and challenge them all the way. I backed the Consultant into a corner and he had nowhere to go.

Best of luck.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 09:25 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Oh dear, sorry to read this and not an easy thing to have to deal with.

I never had to get to this stage with my late Mum but I had researched it all beforehand as I could see it looming.

Firstly don't rush or panic. They will not be making Dad homeless and evicting him from the Home.

Get a good local Estate Agent and they will tell you everything you need. Energy Cert, FENSA cert (if applicable ref glazing) Gas Saftey Cert etc etc. Let them earn their money and haggle them to a decent fixed price fee not a % of the sale.

Get a Solicitor appointed as well, preferably in the same Town/City as the Estate Agent and again get a fixed fee. Shop around but do some Internet searches for reviews. I used the one recommended by the Estate Agent but I knew them well anyhow. They did me a good deal.

Finally I would be challenging why the NHS have stopped paying. Take nothing at face value and challenge them all the way. I backed the Consultant into a corner and he had nowhere to go.

Best of luck.
Great advice from TM here as usual. I think we will be in this position quite soon. My husbands grandad is 94 and is currently in hospital as he has deteriorated a lot this year. My husband is his only family (very small family) the safeguarding team have told my husband he will not be able to return home as he needs a lot more care. Husband has had to take quite a few days off from work this year alone due to water infections and him being confused and trying to leave the house etc. Anyway he does own his own home (a little 1 bed flat) and has a small amount in savings. We don't really know much about what home he is going into or the costs or if we will have to sell the flat to pay for the home. My husband feels so guilty because his grandad had always made him promise he would never go into a home and it looks like this is what is going to happen. He is skin and bone though he has lost so much weight recently (he had carers in 3 times a day) but he lives over an hour away from us (we asked him a couple of years ago to move to our area so I could pop in and cook for him, shopping etc but he refused) I can't commit to driving a 2 hour round trip either everyday with work (part time) plus 2 children (one of whom is disabled with cerebral palsy and a full time wheelchair user.

Sorry op for laying on my situation on your post but you are not alone. It is such a stressful time. Go and enjoy your holiday, if there is no money at present to use they will just have to wait for payment! And don't take any price for the house hold out for the price it is worth 🤗🤗
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. The last paragraph of the post above is worth re emphasising. Don't take less than market value.

Now you can't hold out for more as they will rumble that but accept the Estate Agents view, do some searches yourself on local sales and stick to your guns.
I was different for me as Mum had died but I told the Estate Agent I couldn't care if the flat stood empty for 2 years as I wasn't dropping the price by £1 - and I didn't!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

I guess you are talking about NHS continuing healthcare funding? I'm researching that now as DH 62 is also up that famous creek health wise.
I did find a company that will help you with your claim for funding. They charge around £5k, others want 40% of the funding.
It might be worth your while to appeal the decision.
Feebee2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Thanks all.

Dad doesn't qualify for NHS CHC funding. He had his assessment 22nd Jan and I agree that he is not "ill enough". So he must self fund from 1st March.

I'd resigned myself to having to sell Dads house, but thought I wouldn't have to worry about the home funding till after the house sale. Now it's scary that Dad doesn't have enough money to pay for the amount of weeks it's going to take to sell the house.

Going down on Friday and the estate agent will take measurements and pictures, the house should "go live" Monday. Not a fixed fee, 1% + VAT.

Got to find a solicitor and sort the energy rating stuff before I go away in a week. Not sure if I can do that in time.
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Originally Posted by Trouble3 View Post
Thanks all.

Dad doesn't qualify for NHS CHC funding. He had his assessment 22nd Jan and I agree that he is not "ill enough". So he must self fund from 1st March.

I'd resigned myself to having to sell Dads house, but thought I wouldn't have to worry about the home funding till after the house sale. Now it's scary that Dad doesn't have enough money to pay for the amount of weeks it's going to take to sell the house.

Going down on Friday and the estate agent will take measurements and pictures, the house should "go live" Monday. Not a fixed fee, 1% + VAT.

Got to find a solicitor and sort the energy rating stuff before I go away in a week. Not sure if I can do that in time.
I'm sorry you are having this stress. We looked at it all last year when my Dad's health deteriorated. Unfortunately he died before it became an issue. If he has a lack of liquid assets the local authority should be stepping up in the short term - no need for this stress to be put on the family.

However as a bit of practical advice the estate agent will be able to sort the EPC so speak to them about it - one more thing off your plate. Also whilst good to have a solicitor you don't need one until it is sold.

One question however which springs to mind. Is your dad competent, as he will need to sign the papers and instruct the solicitor. If he isn't you are going to need a power of attorney or similar if you don't already have one.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Trouble3
Apprentice Imagineer

Trouble3's Reviews
Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
I'm sorry you are having this stress. We looked at it all last year when my Dad's health deteriorated. Unfortunately he died before it became an issue. If he has a lack of liquid assets the local authority should be stepping up in the short term - no need for this stress to be put on the family.

However as a bit of practical advice the estate agent will be able to sort the EPC so speak to them about it - one more thing off your plate. Also whilst good to have a solicitor you don't need one until it is sold.

One question however which springs to mind. Is your dad competent, as he will need to sign the papers and instruct the solicitor. If he isn't you are going to need a power of attorney or similar if you don't already have one.
Thanks re Solicitor and EPG. Will talk to the estate agent Friday; he did mention paying the £95 for it... didn't realise that they can arrange it etc. We have LPAs for both Finance and Health, although Dad can sign if they want him to (they'll just have to visit him in the home to get the signature).

Local authority can't help. Spoke with their finance dept manager; he really wanted to help and tried everything, but Dads apartment in Lanzarote means they can't... it's classed as savings. He understood that selling it will not be an easy or quick process, but they can't break the rules.
Old 21 Feb 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I am so sorry to hear of your situation. One thought came to mind, could you rent out his place(s) to cover the care home fees?
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chrisxal View Post
I am so sorry to hear of your situation. One thought came to mind, could you rent out his place(s) to cover the care home fees?
That's what my neighbours across the road from us did and when the parent died the people renting actually bought the house.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List