Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 18, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

If my dd school sent home a letter telling me that they will decide if my child is ill, i would be promptly telling them where to stick it! getting pretty sick of our government and some blimmin pen pushers who probably don't even have children trying to take our parental rights away! No wonder children are growing up to fast! I would take in a pee and poo sample, drop it at reception and tell them to have it checked at a lab at their own expense, bet they don't question you again!
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
EarlyBird
Being a bit Goofy

Unfortunately schools are under a lot of pressure by ofsted to improve attendance. If they aren’t showing that they are tackling it then they can fail an inspection.

Common sense is needed though, telling parents to bring an ill child to school is absolutely ridiculous!
EarlyBird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Whenever a school has an OFSTED inspection , parents are invited to submit views . Seems like a good thing to express an opinion about.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 01:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EarlyBird View Post
Unfortunately schools are under a lot of pressure by ofsted to improve attendance. If they aren’t showing that they are tackling it then they can fail an inspection.

Common sense is needed though, telling parents to bring an ill child to school is absolutely ridiculous!
I know! OFSTED as a whole needs to realise that schools are not primarily built and run for them! As do the relevant politicians and Toby Young!

If they understood that learning is a natural and fluid process - as opposed to being robotic and one-size-fits-all - maybe they could help create a system that genuinely supports and looks after pupils, teachers, parents and politicians in that order!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
This is outrageous. You're the parent.

In your position I would be tempted to go on the attack. From here:

gov.uk/government/upload...attendance.pdf

"Code I: Illness (not medical or dental appointments)
Schools should advise parents to notify them on the first day the child is unable to attend due to illness. Schools should authorise absences due to illness unless they have genuine cause for concern about the veracity of an illness. If the authenticity of illness is in doubt, schools can request parents to provide medical evidence to support illness. Schools can record the absence as unauthorised if not satisfied of the authenticity of the illness but should advise parents of their intention. Schools are advised not to request medical evidence unnecessarily. Medical evidence can take the form of prescriptions, appointment cards, etc. rather than doctors’ notes
."

Therefore the schools request is more than intimating that you're a liar. According to the guidelines, they should be informing you that they think you are lying.

If you notified the school on day 1 then you are in a massively strong position.

If it were me I would be very tempted to turn the tables and demand an apology for calling you a liar.

Regards

Gary
This, a thousand times. Your GP should NOT be involved. There is one purpose for a sick note (more properly called a "fit note" these days) - and that is to provide evidence for statutory sick payment benefit. it is not designed for insurance, for missing school etc. It specifically says about being fit for work, not school etc.
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kirstya1973 View Post
Absolute crackers. Good luck with getting a written sick note. My son albeit 21, was hospitalised in January with Flu A and the hospital said self certificate for anything up to 7 days and if he needed longer off work (once discharged) go to the GP. He had 3 days off in total, including 2 days in hospital but he had fluids, antibiotics pumped into him for 2 days and came home with Tamiflu for 5 days and a further 3 days of antibiotics.
Actually the advice about self-certifying up to 7 days is correct, and follows DWP guidelines:

gov.uk/taking-sick-leave
returnplanning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
Ds has the flu type virus thing I had last week which is vile and so has missed the last couple of days off school. Now I know how to treat flu type illness and obviously the doctors do not want people with it cluttering up the surgery esp when there is nothing they will do other then tell me what I already know rest, fluids, paracetamol ect but the school are saying that I need to give them medical proof he is ill or they will put it down as unauthorized and get the school welfare team involved as more than 2 days off for illness is apparently not acceptable unless you can prove they are sick How am I supposed to provide medical proof for flu?
Let them refer it to the welfare team, there is nothing to hide, your child is unwell and they will find this out. It could be the person in the office is making idle threats so call their bluff and don't let them bully you into sending your sick child back to school too early. Hope he is feeling better soon though.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
15isto2
Imagineer

Since its not an NHS contracted service for GP's I would ask the school to set up a contract with a private GP service. Push Doctor will do you a private appointment for £20 and £15 for a "sick note", I am sure they would be happy to take the schools money!
15isto2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

Mobile

Sorry, haven't read whole thread so apologies if repeating.

This is worrying on several fronts. At my medical centre we would charge for a sick note as people can self certificate for first week off work.

School will be having lots of contagious kids in as you should keep kids off for 48hrs afyer sickness/ diarrhoea.
Button17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
clareelise
Excited about Disney

Our Drs refuses to give sick notes for schools.