Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jun 16, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Car hire for june 2017 Sanford help please

So today is a year until we fly off to my favourite place on earth. Have always taken cars as part of a package before (yes yes I've learnt not to bother picking up the "included" car thanks to here).

SO this time we are doing total DIY. Fab Dibb villa chosen and booked. Park tickets price matched and held on a £30 deposit so now for car hire.

I've done my research on here and have tried alamo brits, alamo via virgin atlantic link, uscarhire, affordable car hire.

We are flying into Sanford on the dreamliner and the best price I can find is £375 for an intermediate SUV through alamo brits.

Dates are 22 June to 6 July 2017.

Its mum, dad and DS16 travelling. Both mum and dad to drive. Will an intermediate suv be big enough for 3 cases? As obviously on last day we will have luggage with us until we get back to Sanford. Would you suggest suv or a standard/fullsize car? What do you think of the price? Am I best to book as far out as possible fo rthe best prices?

Villa owner has said they can organise through Budget for £323 ... which obviously is cheaper but have always used alamo in the past and we like to choose our own car and know that Disney CCC is easily accessible to exchange car if we have any problems.

Thoughts please, thanks in advance
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 16, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Car Hire for June 2017

Originally Posted by shrek1609 View Post
So today is a year until we fly off to my favourite place on earth. Have always taken cars as part of a package before (yes yes I've learnt not to bother picking up the "included" car thanks to here).

SO this time we are doing total DIY. Fab Dibb villa chosen and booked. Park tickets price matched and held on a £30 deposit so now for car hire.

I've done my research on here and have tried alamo brits, alamo via virgin atlantic link, uscarhire, affordable car hire.

We are flying into Sanford on the dreamliner and the best price I can find is £375 for an intermediate SUV through alamo brits.

Dates are 22 June to 6 July 2017.

Its mum, dad and DS16 travelling. Both mum and dad to drive. Will an intermediate suv be big enough for 3 cases? As obviously on last day we will have luggage with us until we get back to Sanford. Would you suggest suv or a standard/fullsize car? What do you think of the price? Am I best to book as far out as possible fo rthe best prices?

Villa owner has said they can organise through Budget for £323 ... which obviously is cheaper but have always used alamo in the past and we like to choose our own car and know that Disney CCC is easily accessible to exchange car if we have any problems.

Thoughts please, thanks in advance
Hi The majority of us here on the dibb prefer Alamo for car hire, we used Budget many years ago but their car fleet tends to be older and have done more miles than Alamo's. As you have said any problems with Alamo and you always have Disney CCC especially as you are picking up at Sanford which is further away than MCO if any problems. As for car choice I think an Int. SUV would be big enough, it just depends on what you would prefer to drive over there. Hope this helps. We book our cars through VA after we have booked our flights as we also fly VA which boosts our airmiles for reward flights.

Edited at 06:26 PM.
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 16, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609

thanks for your thoughts tillysmith
shrek1609 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 16, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
An Int SUV for your dates with VA is £360.10

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 16, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
An Int SUV for your dates with VA is £360.10
Ive just followed virgin atlantic alamo link and its quoting me £407... help!
Old 24 Jun 16, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609

virgin-atlantic/gb/en...tal/alamo.html

this is the link i used
Old 24 Jun 16, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609

Mr Tom Morrow... through google I have managed to find how you got £360, thank you.

Can you tell me more about booking car through virgin atlantic rather than taking the "free" car through Thomsons.

Do VA just send an email confirmation that I print out and take with us? I see it includes 1 extra driver (which is great as we both want to be able to drive... I am a non drinker and DH likes a drink with an evening meal).

Seems a good price £360. Would you book now?
Old 24 Jun 16, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Sory for the continued delays! 6 Month old Grandson is spoiling my Dibb time

OK. As you found out go in via the VA website not the other one.
You just click on what you want, enter your details and decide how to pay.
Now with VH you get your docs 30 days before you fly but with VA you can get them within 30 mins - even less.
However, on a weekend it can take 2 days but no more.

VA have the easiest online check in process and skip the counter there is. Never have an issue and I book 3 times a year with them. You tend to get 2 maybe 3 e mails and one of them has the link you must use for OLCI etc.

That is the stage where you do all the drivers details and add fuel should you so wish.

This is what mine looks like for a 1 month rental in Aug/Sept. The $50 is for the pre paid fuel which isn't bad for a big saloon.

I think the price is good and would go for it. Dont blame me if it drops though

Car Summary
Luxury
Lincoln MKZ or similar
Additional options available
Leather Interior
Cruise Control
Tilt Steering Wheel
Power Windows
Automatic Transmission
Air Conditioning
AM/FM Stereo CD/MP3
Power Door Locks

Your Options
Fuel Service Option
Extended Protection
Collision Damage Waiver
1 Additional Driver

Your Rate

Rates & Charges
Time & Distance INCLUDED
Extra - Time & Distance INCLUDED
Cdw-allocated Inclusive INCLUDED
Ep-extended Protection INCLUDED
Customer Facility Charge 2.50/day INCLUDED
Priv Fee Recov Chg 10 Pct (10.0%) INCLUDED
Tire/battery Fee .02/day INCLUDED
Florida Surcharge 2.00/day INCLUDED
Vehicle License Fee .69/day INCLUDED
Sales Tax (6.5%) INCLUDED
1 Additional Driver INCLUDED
UNLIMITED MILEAGE INCLUDED
1 Fuel Service Option $ 43.4
Fttxrsu $ 0.00
Priv Fee Recov Chg 10 Pct (10.0%) $ 4.34
Sales Tax (6.5%) $ 3.10

Estimated Total: $ 50.84

Edit. Yes you just print out the skip the counter document that Alamo sends you and present it at the exit barrier and away to go

Edited at 10:19 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 16, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
shrek1609

Thanks Tom Morrow... think we will book now and then thats another thing ticked off on my list and we are happy with the price
Old 24 Jun 16, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by shrek1609 View Post
Thanks Tom Morrow... think we will book now and then thats another thing ticked off on my list and we are happy with the price
Who are you flying with? If Virgin you get lots of Miles with a car hire.

If not don't worry.

Closed Thread