Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Jun 16, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post

For experts on Orlando tolls

Hi all , would appreciate any guidance,
Going in August , villa 3 weeks , got a car, Alamo from airport,
I'll be using toll roads as much as I can not bothered about the cost too much, when I arrive I'll have a load of dollars(notes) and cc, I want the easiest and quickest way through tolls, I won't have any change in dollars (coins) by the time I arrive, may collect as I go through the holiday, but don't really want to worry about that if I can get away with it. I've seen posts about the enrolled toll services (bit like I do in France I think , enroll, get my transponder in the car and pay when I get back) is there anything I can do that doesn't cost the absolute earth when I get to Alamo at the airport or?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

All Alamo cars are fitted with transponders so you just drive through the tolls without stopping and the cost will be charged to your card.
Old 23 Jun 16, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Yep you just drive straight through the sunpass lanes with all the locals. Don't need to sign up to anything with Alamo at the airport.

No rip off prices for tolls with Alamo (so far)

When you get back you will get 2 charges to your credit card. 1 for the toll pass activations for the days you used a toll road and the second for the cost of the actual tolls.

Can't remember the exact amounts but something like $4 for each day you use a toll and the cost of the tolls on top up to $20 ish.

Of course if you are only going through one 25c toll that day you might want to stop at the pay booth to save $4

Don't know where your villa is but don't forget the option of using the 429 . Even from the 192 junction in Kissimmee it was still quicker into Disney via the western way.

Edited at 01:58 PM. Reason: extra
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post

As above. I would have done the same with Sixt (great car hire service and price) but they charged it as similar "rip off" prices as most companies do with child seats, sat nav, etc.

We went around Disney, Universal, to KSC and Busch and still probably spent only $20 on tolls. Never had a problem paying with bills.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
wombat248
Helping Minnie

We mixed it up a bit. Long journeys we used Sunpass and accepted the $4 a day charge from Alamo. Smaller journeys and back to the airport at the end we used the booths to get rid of the stack of dimes and quarters we collected during the holiday.
wombat248 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OP. Your post says you want to use Sunpass as much as possible. Therefore I would use it all the time, even when you have coins to use.

The below is all you will pay with Alamo

$19.75 maximum fee per rental period plus tolls (at posted cash/TOLL-BY-PLATE rates)

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 16, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread