Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Consumer Rights

I'm actually fuming with myself.

Anyway, we've used a roofer many times over the years, he put our main roof on and has done re-pointing etc all to a good standard at a good price. So when he said he could put us a new dormer roof on at a decent price we said yes as it was 15yrs old.
So 3 weeks ago he did the work, took him a couple of days. Bob's your uncle! a day later, just as we were going away i noticed water coming in. We've never had a leak with the old roof so i was miffed to say the least. We had to leave it in his hands while we were away and he said he'd fixed it.
Came back off holiday to find the towels and bucket we'd put out all wet and soggy, ceiling wet and it had travelled down the wall, made the plasterboard wet and the TV had fallen off the wall. Also the smell was awful, think cat pee. He came round again and 'Fixed' it. Then came back a couple of days later to just check on things and put fascias back etc... He's basically been back 4 times and today it is leaking again. So enough is enough and i got another roofing company out to take a look. He was mortified.
He says he's basically used pond liner and it's like a patchwork quilt held together by silicone! What cost £400 is now 4 times as much, not to mention it may need a new ceiling and redecorating. At the very least i can ask for my money back can't i?
However, as he's the local roofer i only have his first name and telephone number, no idea where he lives :O :O
Help!

2023 - Orlando/Gulf Coast
2024 - Menorca & Malta
2025 - Norwegian Fjords and Boston/NY
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DizzyDisneyMum
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Could you Google his first name and number? That should come up with more information.
DizzyDisneyMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

It's a mobile number.
Having spoken to him he has apologised and said he will drop the money off. We'll see if he actually does

2024 - Menorca & Malta
*cath* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Very shoddy! If he doesn't give you your money back you may wish to ask your insurers advice ... one time when this happened to us the insurers claimed back separately against the workman.
Col&Ali is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Oh my, you need to get his insurance details somehow and claim off them. Is he a part of any trade body and could you contact them for advice?

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I would be tempted to go down the insurance route because of the further damage as a result of his sub-standard work. Do you have the optional legal cover with your buildings policy? You might at least be able to get advice from them, or even get them to pursue a claim against him.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Insurance wont help with the roof because it's down to rain and it doesn't cover leaks apparently

2024 - Menorca & Malta
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

He or his insurance should be putting the sub standard work right. He quoted for an outcome, returning the money does not get him out of his liabilities.

He should be covering the costs of getting the job done properly.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
*cath*
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Another builder has looked at his work. I'm not sure I'd trust him to mend a broken ornament let alone a roof looking at that work.

2024 - Menorca & Malta
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Still shouldn't be at your additional cost though.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List