Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Apr 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
pinktraceb
slightly serious Dibber

pinktraceb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Mobile Canadian / Vancouver Island / Rockies Trip Advice Please!

Any experienced Canadian/ Rockies holidayers able to advise on our itinerary?

* 24 July - 27 July Vancouver
* Pick up car and get ferry to Vancouver Island
* Stay in Victoria for 2 nights (27-29 July)
* Travel to Tofino & stay there 2 nights (29-31 July)
* Ferry from Nainmo to Tsawwssen
* Travel to Whistler
* Stay Whistler 3 nights (31 Jul to 3 Aug)
* Travel to Kamloops & stay 1 night
* Travel to Jasper stay 2 nights (4-6 Aug)
* Travel to Banff & stay 2 nights (6-8 Aug)
* Travel to Calgary & stay 2 nights (8-10 Aug)
10th Aug flight back to Gatwick

I'm happy with the Rockies part, but it's the Vancouver Island bit that I'm not so sure on.

It's a 4.5 hour drive from Victoria to Tofino, and then on way back a 3 hour drive from Tofino to the ferry. So basically we would get just 1 whole day there really. I'm now considering ditching Tofino. But where to put the extra 2 days that will give us?

Not sure if it helps, we're a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 boys aged 13 & 16.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
The Bacon's Go Back May 2015
Ramada Gateway & OKW 2017
pinktraceb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Tbh I’d miss Vancouver Island and concentrate on the mainland - unless you have a particular wish to go. We are spending nearly three weeks just on v island this autumn. Seems to be a lot of driving esp to Tofino when there’s so much on the mainland route you’ve desc. Esp with teenagers ! Hope this helps. We’ve been several trips to British Columbia and it is such a great family holiday !
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
We originally planned to see VI too, but it had to go from our plans as we weren’t going to do it justice. We’ve decided that we’d like to do an Alaska cruise at some point, so will tag VI on to that trip.

If you do ditch Tofino, I’d definitely put the extra two days in the Jasper/Banff area. There’s so much to see and do there. I’d also tweak Calgary and reduce that to just one night - we stayed for 2 nights and in hindsight it was too much. I’d move that extra night to Banff to give me plenty of time to visit Lake Louise and Moraine Lake too.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
pinktraceb
slightly serious Dibber

pinktraceb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 12
Mobile

Thanks both. Travelbag (who we're booking with) have suggested Sooke instead of Tofino as it's not such a long drive.

Now I'm totally stuck on what to do! Never considered not doing Vancouver Island as wanted to cover as much as possible.

Lots to think about now!
The Bacon's Go Back May 2015
Ramada Gateway & OKW 2017
pinktraceb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

We did Vancouver Island but just Victoria, there was enough here for a couple of days. I would however like to spend more time exploring the island as there is a lot to see.

When travelling from Nanaimo go to Horseshoe Bay on the ferry that way you are north of Vancouver and will have a shorter journey to Whistler and miss a lot of traffic.

Calgary if you’ve got an afternoon then late flight next day that would be enough to cut down to one night and I would use the extra time in the Rockies ( there is a lot to see here ) we had 3 nights each in Banff and Jasper and could easily have spent longer.

I’ve done a trip report , as has Jocat above, ( there’s also other good ones on here too ) so hopefully these will help but please feel free to ask any more questions as I’ll help if I can. It was one of my favourite holidays, really loved it.

Edited at 04:46 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
BigPetesWife
Imagineer

I'd be tempted to ditch Whistler and split those extra nights between Tofino and Rockies. I'm not sure you get anything different to what you already have planned by adding Whistler, but you do get something different by adding Tofino. We only did one night in Victoria which enough for what we wanted to do, but I could have spent longer than the three nights we had in Ucluelet (just south of Tofino). Whistler is nice, but it's still a mountain resort and I'm not sure it's worth doing in addition to the Rockies.
BigPetesWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
brucefans
Excited about Disney

Dont ditch Tofino! We did almost identical trip to yours. Highlight was a boat trip in Tofino at dusk to see the bears feeding at the water's edge. Amazing. adventuretofino
brucefans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Tofino/Ucluelet are one of my favourite places on earth! Whistler was not in the same class!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List