Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Apr 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
epickles
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

How does Thomas Cook check in work?

Hi all! Booked with TC for next year. I haven't added luggage and pre-allocated seats onto my booking yet. I was just wondering what the situation is with checking in online? I understand that the computer will randomly select seats for you, which you will be informed of during online check in. Is there an option at this point to pay for seating if I'm not happy with what we've been allocated?
We're a family of 4, and whilst I do want to keep costs down - I would prefer for us all to be seated together. The cost will be near on £170 extra though if I prebook now.
Would you chance your luck to see whats allocated online and then pay of you're not happy? Or is that not an option?
Many thanks
epickles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by epickles View Post
Hi all! Booked with TC for next year. I haven't added luggage and pre-allocated seats onto my booking yet. I was just wondering what the situation is with checking in online? I understand that the computer will randomly select seats for you, which you will be informed of during online check in. Is there an option at this point to pay for seating if I'm not happy with what we've been allocated?
We're a family of 4, and whilst I do want to keep costs down - I would prefer for us all to be seated together. The cost will be near on £170 extra though if I prebook now.
Would you chance your luck to see whats allocated online and then pay of you're not happy? Or is that not an option?
Many thanks
I think, basically you have two options book now or see what’s allocated nearer the time.

I don’t think you can “pay” at checkin but you can explain seating not suitable. Or. Keep an eye on the my booking every now and again and see how full the flight getting.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
epickles

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to be able to pay at the point of online check in.
I know its a bone of contention, but as a family of 4 it all adds up.
epickles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve always done the check in 72 hours prior with virgin and been seated together, but I think we’re going to fly TC this time and we don’t know whether to risk it or pay for the seats.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
First timer loz
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

I have a holiday coming up in October with Thomas cook, at the time of booking we didn’t pay for allocated seats but I keep checking the seating plan online and as it seems to be filling up I think I’m going to take the plunge and pay £164 to pick our seats so we are all sat together as we are a family of 4 as well, it seems so much money when we have paid a lot of money for the holiday anyway, this should be included In my opinion! But I’d rather pay then risk not being sat together as for me the plane journey is part of the holiday and gets us all excited !
First timer loz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
epickles

Originally Posted by First timer loz View Post
I have a holiday coming up in October with Thomas cook, at the time of booking we didn’t pay for allocated seats but I keep checking the seating plan online and as it seems to be filling up I think I’m going to take the plunge and pay £164 to pick our seats so we are all sat together as we are a family of 4 as well, it seems so much money when we have paid a lot of money for the holiday anyway, this should be included In my opinion! But I’d rather pay then risk not being sat together as for me the plane journey is part of the holiday and gets us all excited !
It's such a lot of money isn't it - especially when I'd need to factor in another £160 for 2 suitcases also.
I've read mixed reports - some people don't believe in paying as they've always successfully had seats together. Then there are the horror stories.

I think it really sucks to have to pay to sit together when you're happy to have any of the 4 seats
Old 21 Apr 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
First timer loz
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by epickles View Post
It's such a lot of money isn't it - especially when I'd need to factor in another £160 for 2 suitcases also.
I've read mixed reports - some people don't believe in paying as they've always successfully had seats together. Then there are the horror stories.
I think it really sucks to have to pay to sit together when you're happy to have any of the 4 seats

Yes and the worry of us being split up for me is more of a stress then paying the money to ensure we are together, if this wasn’t our first long haul flight or my children were older I might (maybe) take the risk! But I’m also a nervous flyer so for me knowing I’m with my family that helps with my nerves a little !
First timer loz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

I always pay. Here’s the senario... Thomas cook automatically allocate your seats. You do online check in and see what they have allocated you and you wish to change. Problem is - everyone else in the same boat has also been allocated therefore no seats left. I took the same risk with emirates last year. ( they had online that they’ll seat families together ) Luckily when I went on I was happy with seats but if I hadnt been I couldn’t change at that point because all seats were now taken up and allocated. With Thomas cook I always pay as we want to be together. If someone has booked signature Thomas cook ( like I did this time ) seats are included so bear in mind those people will also have seats which they have paid for. I personally never take the chance
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpybri
VIP Dibber

Have I read this right? At online check in with TC you are allocated seats. I was expecting to be able to pick seats at check in. Can you change seats after check in for free?
I was expecting it to be like BA and pick my seats when checking in.
Old 21 Apr 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by grumpybri View Post
Have I read this right? At online check in with TC you are allocated seats. I was expecting to be able to pick seats at check in. Can you change seats after check in for free?
I was expecting it to be like BA and pick my seats when checking in.
You’ll get what they allocate you at check in just like BA,

Do I have to pay for pre-booked seats?
Share this answer
Customers who have not pre-selected their seats will be allocated seats automatically by our check-in system, on the day of departure. We will do our best to allocate seats together, however this is not guaranteed.

If you wish to check-in online you can do so 24 hours before your flight. If you do not wish to pay for seats, your seats can be randomly assigned to you for the full booking, free of charge*. Keep in mind that you can only use this option at the time of the check-in.

So if everyone has paid to sit together it’s your risk if that makes sense

Auto-seating with children

Children are required to be seated with an adult from their party. This can be across an aisle, in front or behind. If it has not been possible to seat children with adults prior to travel, please check-in at the airport, where our staff will try to accommodate this.

*Seats together may be across an aisle or behind each other.

This is for flights operated by Thomas Cook Airlines only.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List