Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 21 Apr 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
LoopyDisney7
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by dx4100 View Post
A hold does reduce your available credit but it does not cost you interest as its never actually taken. It will appear under pending transactions - rather than transactions online until its released. That is the usual way of doing it in hotels the world over. Otherwise the money might not be available if they ever have to claim it. This isn't a Disney issue - its hotel standard practice.

I would imagine the behaviour you are seeing is because on a prepayment card there is no way of "holding" money. You either take it or you don't as there is no credit guarantee like there is with a credit card.

Debit cards are going to behave in a similar way I would imagine - but maybe if you have an agreed overdraft (credit) then this can make it behave like a credit card and at other times a pre payment card.

This is my understanding anyway.
This is my understanding too (and i'm hoping it's right). I plan to link my (bog standard, normal UK) credit card which has a fairly sizeable limit and pay the account every few days with my Revolut which should in theory mean my credit card won't be charged and i'll therefore not receive any foreign currency fees.

I know there are other issues being posted such as the card dropping off and magic bands being declined, which i can't really plan for other than to carry my Revolut with me, but beyond that I hope to not run into any issues as if i am reaching my credit limit it's time to come home!

Will be there in a couple weeks so can report back on my experience
LoopyDisney7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

We had lots of issues and were no way near our cc limit
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
LoopyDisney7
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
We had lots of issues and were no way near our cc limit
I've read several posts saying the same which really is not great. My post was more relating to the pending transaction rather than an actual transaction (and the potential fees involved), and as i will use my credit card for the hotel hold it will mean i keep my Revolut free from the pending charges.

I'll be really disappointed if other issues occur, but hopefully things improve before we get there in May.
LoopyDisney7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Someone was explaining to me that if you spend the initial $100 on day one (easily done, a spirit jersey is $70 alone) then it charges it to your card and places a hold on a further $100. We have always charged to our room then paid it off in cash and giftcard. But if they take the money as soon as you have reached that $100 hold, that’s not going to be possible anymore is it?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

So we are just back. I only stayed 1 night at pop century.
I can see from my credit card that a hold was put on my card for $100 at check in on the 17th.
The only other holds on my card are the amounts I’ve actually spent. No actual charges have gone through yet.