Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Apr 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
bessiejess
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Eldest daughter has been bad travelling long haul last couple of years (previously fine), she is 14 now. She is fine for the first 6 hours but then once she starts she can’t stop. She hates the smell of planes so we take a jar of vicks for her to use through the flight. Not found anything yet that has worked. She fainted in Atlanta airport last Easter I think due to sickness. Lack of sleep definitely makes her worse.
bessiejess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
allbooked
Getting Excited

Mobile

Also I would say only eat very lightly on the day you travel.
allbooked is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Fawkes
Helping Mickey

On this holiday my daughter was the opposite. On the way out we had a stop at Atlanta and as we were in the queue for immigration the sick started. Interestingly after reading the replies on here she had been asleep on the plane and we woke her to get her off on landing. She was sick roughly every half an hour until we got off the plane at Orlando and then fine for the rest of the holiday.
For the journey home we got some Dramamine from the chemist and she was fine. Overnight flight as well.
Fawkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

I’m usually ok on the day flight but coming back overnight I hate it, feeling so tired but if I close my eyes then get motion sickness 😫😳usually then stand up at the back by the toilets to keep awake 🙊as already mentioned I keep popping loads of mints to help 🤞when we went to New York one Xmas I was so happy to get a return flight in the daytime till they BA cancelled & had to do an overnight again 😬😭
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Katie C
Imagineer

I sympathise as I get quite airsick, and always feel worse on the return flight! Not idea why but tiredness has something to do with it. I think another problem is that I has one return flight a few years back where I had quite bad heat stroke and was otherwise unwell, and then the food was revolting and I was super sick, and since then the smell of airplane food just sets me off again. I get anti-sickness tablets of the doctor now before I fly and I don't eat any of the hot food on the flight. Have managed not to be sick but still felt a bit queasy. The Sturgeon weren't as good as the tablets I got off the doctor but they do help a bit!
Weird aside, when I was ill that first time on the flight Titanic was on the big screen (yes it was that long ago!) and since then I can't bear to watch it as it makes me feel really ill!
Katie C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger85
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Has anyone tried ginger as a remedy? I was told to try 'Gin Gin's' - they are ginger flavoured chewy sweets you can get from amazon. I have some but are yet to try them out. Many people have said this helps the travel sickness go away completely. Getting stressed also makes it worse - this is why the drowsy drugs seem to work as they calm you also and calm the 'vertigo' effect.
Just an idea to throw in!
Tigger85 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Alice2111
Excited about Disney

Both myself & my daughter get really travel sick on night flights , we love holidays but the ordeal of the long haul flight stresses me out . Found the Dramamine tablets bought in US work the best or stugeron but these can give my daughter a headache. Also agree the food smell sets us off so use drops of peppermint oil on a tissue my daughter prefers a few drops of karvol ( bit like Vics ) . Extra strong mints help , plain biscuits , crackers & fizzy water on standby & calming music on the headphones. Also not eating much or plain toast has helped , really empathise with fellow sufferers... X
Alice2111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Not quite in the same league as all the poor people on here but my DH has a ‘funny’ tummy for the whole of the day after flying home. He says he feels hungry but then has to force down food.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallyingforth
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Another vote for Dramamine. Our son arrived into Florida puking and didn't want to go through the same thing on the way home.ao we bought that and it was great. It was a much easier flight though. It was very bumpy on the way in
Sallyingforth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Ginger is good
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List