Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 22 Apr 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Pofq or AKL?

Hello
So we’ve reserved/Pre booked/pre requested (not sure what the right term is) pofq for next August with My Magic Holidays. Just doing five nights on site with ddp then rest in a vill. First time on site. I’m now wondering whether to pay extra and stay at AKL. I’ve always wanted to stay there. is it worth it with such a short stay on site? Is it any good for younger children (9 and 7) what’s transport times like to other parks? Is the pool any good for young ones/non swimmers? Or do I stick with pofq and save the money for guilt free night or two at universal.
Thanks
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Much as I love AKL and think the animals are a great draw for children, if yours are not swimming yet POFQ may be better. They have a splash play area your 7 year old might enjoy. The pool at POFQ is nicely themed, more so than at AK but the AK pool is massive as well and the slide experience is better.
Old 23 Apr 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jnc2345
Getting Excited

I would save the money. The animals are cool at AKL but you really need a savanna view to make it special, and those get extremely expensive.
Port Orleans French Quarter September 2019
Caribbean Beach January 2021
jnc2345 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

We love AKL - Our DD adores the pool and the slide although granted it isn't especially 'themed'. Love the outdoor fire pits and toasting marshmallows, sitting on balcony looking at the animals (never paid for savannah view but always had a partial view 😉 ) - really lovely experience which our then 4 year old loved and we are back this year when she will be 7. Transport times were never an issue for us,
only once in previous 2 stays have we had a big wait and we got free fast pass because of it so I didn't care! 😂However, it is a personal thing I appreciate, so go with your heart 😊

Edited at 04:20 PM.
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

It’s an additional 385 for AKL standard room or 900 for savannah view!
No way we can afford an extra 900 but debating if 385 extra is really worth it? I’ve watched Tim Tracker vlogs of AKL resort and definitely get wow factor, I was more Meh with pofq but it’s cheaper and kids pool looks better. My son can’t swim, neither can I- daughter and husband both can.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

I love the idea of staying at AKL, but I could only do it with a Savanna view and for that sort of money there are other hotels I would rather stay in.

My thinking is that with an ADR at AKL, you can enjoy the grounds, see the animals before / after dinner. But still stay at a hotel which is more convenient (and a much better price).
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TC Devon View Post
It’s an additional 385 for AKL standard room or 900 for savannah view!
No way we can afford an extra 900 but debating if 385 extra is really worth it? I’ve watched Tim Tracker vlogs of AKL resort and definitely get wow factor, I was more Meh with pofq but it’s cheaper and kids pool looks better. My son can’t swim, neither can I- daughter and husband both can.
I know you can't say for certain, but I would always book the standard view and put in room request for one of the many, many partial savannah view rooms-not failed us yet! 🤞also there are numerous viewing spots around the hotel and the music and decor just makes it special. I had stayed in moderates a few times before but fell in love with AKL and the feel of it when we stayed for the first time 😍
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

Husband has vetoed the AKL. Said extra £400 would pay for universal, he is absolutely right but I’m still secretly stamping my feet and sulking.
So it’s pofq which even though I’m a bit meh and not fussed on, the children will love it.
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed 10 night at AKL , then 3 night cruise and POFQ 1 night (supposed to be 2) ... We paid the extra and moved over to WL for the final night. We didn’t like POFQ at all, not sure if it was because of the luxury first stay at AKL but POFQ felt like such a drop down. I hated the motel like feel and the chaotic food court. AKL was amazing! Everything about it made me happy . I’d say go for AKL 100%
Many people love POFQ (Sorry to the POFQ lovers, the place was just not for me and this Is obvs just my opinion)
I-Drive July 2004. I-Drive Oct/Nov 2006. Southern Dunes May 2010 (married in Florida!). Town Centre June 2011. Southern Dunes August 2012. Hampton Lakes and Carnival Cruise August 2013. Regal Palms 2014. Southern Dunes 2017. Southern Dunes and Hard Rock Hotel May 2018. AKL, POFQ, Wilderness Lodge and Disney Dream2019.
Dopey challenge - All Stars stay January 2020. Cabana Bay Sept 2022
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Oh no - pofq is so amazing you will love it I’m sure - there’s a reason why so many people rave about it - ultimately if it’s a cost factor then it’s a cost factor but please do not worry. Funny thing is - it did not feel like a motel at all to us and we are used to posh hotels - I loved the outdoor feel and loved that I wasn’t in corridors

Edited at 11:07 PM.
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List