Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 22 Apr 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Would you reconsider Sri Lanka?

We're booked (& have paid the balance) for here in the summer, whilst I know the UK government haven't advised against travel there, the Australian government have today.

Ours isn't straight forward, as DD is volunteering in Thailand, we're meeting her at Colombo, all of her flights are booked as 1 ways and we have also paid to reserve the seating we want on the plane for all flights, with her being on a separate booking we wanted to make sure we were together & had the seats we wanted. Hence I'm guessing we'll lose a significant amount of money if we change / cancel, assuming that we even can.

Obviously if the UK government advise against travelling there, i assume we'll be offered alternatives, just interested in what others would do? I think my main concern is that DD arrives at Colombo a couple of hours ahead of us so will be waiting at the airport for us.

What would you do?

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We visited Sri Lanka at the height of the civil war and kept well clear of the danger zone. The FCO advised it was ok to travel away from the northern area and we were happy to do so. This recent tragedy feels very different being much more random with the authorities seemingly unaware/unprepared. I would be concerned that the risk is now far less ‘controlled’. At the moment I would be keeping a close eye on FCO advice (which doesn’t read well!) but as you say, is not advising against travel to Sri Lanka. I don’t think there is any point amending your travel arrangements at the moment as the FCO may, in time, advise against travel. If not, you will have a choice to make depending on the security situation at the time. It’s such a sad situation and puts a real dampener on your travel plans.
ETA - when you say ‘offered alternatives’ are you booked as a package? If not, should FCO advise against travel, you will be eligible to claim on your insurance - presumably airlines will still be flying so would guess that they will not offer refunds.

Edited at 04:41 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tray22
Excited about Disney

my DD is due to go in 2 weeks to do her medical elective for a month. I really don't want her to go - but how do I tell her? She is 22. Hope the Govt say it's unsafe.
tray22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I would still go. Could happen anywhere at anytime. It's an awful sad situation but I don't think it will happen again, it will be somewhere else.
Look at something like the Manchester Arena attack, no-one would have ever dreamt of that happening at a pop concert for mainly teenage girls!
I'm very much of the opinion, without deliberately putting myself in danger, I will not let these things stop me living my life!
The Trafford Centre has been mentioned numerous times as being a target but I still visit!
To be honest, you probably have a higher risk of something happening when you travel in a car than you do being involved in somwthing like this!
If it's recommended you don't go, that's a different thing entirely.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

WE know a family who are there now and staying in a hotel very close to one of the bombs, They have been told to stay at the hotel and not leave until their flight which is next week.
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

personally i wouldnt go, this wasnt a random lone attack. this was co ordinated murder

i know anywhere could be a target but i wouldn't want to be always looking over my shoulder etc etc
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Thanks all, I've used an Independent Travel Agent who got us great prices on our accomodation, we are flying with Emirates and I did see in the Independent over the weekend that they've said they're will to refund or change flights for people with no penalty.

I'm finding out what our options are, if we have any!

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

I’m surprised the FCO hasn’t issued advice not to travel given the Sri Lankan PM has stated that terrorists are on the run armed with explosives.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Their indecision isn't helpful for those travelling imminently. I seem to recall previously our FCO were slow to react when others had informed their citizens it was unsafe to travel. Wonder why that is?
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Our agent seemed relatively hopeful that we'd be able to change, we're going to think tonight about where to change to then she'll see if she can pull it off.

I'm thinking Vietnam or Cambodia, but will chat with family tonight, any recommendations?