Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 22 Apr 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Addonitis

Hi folks,
Who knew that adding on or even thinking of adding on could be so stressful! We need 75 points, that's what I've worked out as the minimum to get 3 weeks every year until 2054 through constantly borrowing. Resale wise small contracts are going +$130 (SSR) & although a 73 pointer sold recently there isn't a lot of that sort of number about but there are more than a few 100-110 about. So first "problem" , Direct 75 is around £9k, Resale 100 is also around £9k but I don't really need the extra 25 points & it mean's extra dues. But the Scotsman in me thinks that I'm being "ripped off" by Disney if I buy Direct!
My next issue is the "value" in paying £9k, about 7 years of 1 week holidays at a Mod & still use our DVC for the rest & I'm currently flip flopping between yes & no !
Decisions decisions...
Sorry for the ramble but I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has gone through this !
Sd
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Ha ha. Never flip flop!

We cannot abide moving, once we are somewhere that's where we stay. When we bought in we got 300 Points and added on repeatedly.

But, the reason we added on was we were going more often and also for longer peiods.

If I was adding on today I would get what I wanted which in your case is circa 75 Points. But, I would buy 150 at least and rent the rest out every year.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Agree with Mr Tom Morrow, if you can afford 150-points from your savings, then renting half of those through David's would be easy and also pay the dues for all 150-points, and if it's SSR points/dues you'll still have a little left over.

Therefore no ongoing cost and a great return on your savings.

And good luck with your addonitis.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Shooby doo can I ask how many points you currently have please and if any of them are direct? I am also thinking about adding on a bit so was hoping to nick your calculation. Is that in a studio or one bed?

What I would say is that I would consider going slightly over what you need in case they alter the points allocation next year - better to be safe than sorry and they can always be rented out.
Old 22 Apr 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We added on direct at CCV last year, after mulling over all the different options, the lure of the incentives and 50 year contract won for us.

Even if it's not worth more, I expect that should my kids (who ultimately this add-one is for) not want to keep the contracts, they should be able to at least get back the money we put in by selling them on and we get to benefit from the investment in the meantime.

Think about the value of what you're buying to you long term as well as the actual cost. I'm with Tom that I don't enjoy moving, whilst people will argue that it's easy to do, for me I have to mentally prepare for it and pack things up, which feels like unecessasry time out of my holiday, whereas I prefer to 'move into' our room and settle there for the duration.

Value to me is as much about what makes my life easier, as cost.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Your 1 week in a mod is also likely to come with free food which can be factored into equation. It’s not guaranteed obviously but it seems quite likely.

I couldn’t pay the same for direct and get less points. The ‘extra’ points will always get used. You can roll them forward and have an extra night, or better accommodation or rent them out. We generally have a few points spare each year but we don’t lose them. They just get banked and used the following year.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Shooby, I can't remember if you have direct benefits already? If no, it could be worth getting the 75 direct. If yes, I'd buy resale and get 25 points more, you'll definately use them, or just rent them for a nice little profit. Remember you'll make around $8 a point after dues renting them. Say you rent them every other year, that's $400 for nothing profit in your PayPal. Assuming rental rates keep up with inflation, over 20 years of ownership that extra 25 points could pay for nearly half the contract, in the unlikely event you didn't use them and rented every year (I'd bank and do it every 2).
When you come to sell, a 75 pointer will attract a slight premium (maybe $5-10 a point) over a 100, but a 100 will attract a small premium also over larger contracts.

Edited at 01:13 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks Folks I knew that you all would help my make up my mind & dispose of the flip flops
We have 175 "grandfathered" points from 2008- paid $67.50 so don't "need" Direct. TBH never considered the rental aspect & that is a good option. We are starting move away from multiple resorts, the original plan for this year was to be 3 moves but common sense pre-vailed!
Sks- Resale but with all benefits including membership card. My calculations are based on $1.28/£ but hopefully at some point this will move a bit, SSR is $160 direct so just under £9400, if i could pick up 75 resale I could save about £2k but they are few & far between & at $110 both others would be £8600 - £9400. There are some contracts pending at $99 but it's whether these will pass ROFR.
PB TBH I'm not as "in love" with Disney as I used to be as I can't help feeling things are not changing for the better but DW will continue going even if she has to crawl there !So I suppose my "value" is keeping her happy !
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
MissPiggy2012
VIP Dibber

I would say go with the 100+ points resale in case DVC points charts do increase next year, at least you will have a cushion and if they don’t you can rent them out as suggested.
Old 22 Apr 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MissPiggy2012 View Post
I would say go with the 100+ points resale in case DVC points charts do increase next year, at least you will have a cushion and if they don’t you can rent them out as suggested.
Very good point. They could try on the lockoff premium again, albeit I'm pretty sure it would be met with legal action, so they'll only do it I'd they have good legal advice if they've any sense.