Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 22 Apr 19, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
PrincessKaty
Getting Excited

Universal before or after Disney

Looking to book for Aug 2020 for my boyfriends first visit.

I usually book 14 nights on site at Disney with free ddp, and take a mid-trip jolly over to universal for a night or 2 (but stay checked in at Disney), but to keep costs down next year I think we'll be either doing universal at the beginning or the end or the trip (and sacrificing the ME one way).

I can't imagine not doing Magic Kingdom on my last day and not seeing the castle one last time, but in my head I think it makes sense to do Universal for 2 nights at the end of the trip as those Universal days are certainly far more relaxing than the Disney days. Has anyone got some words of wisdom to help me in the decision?

Also, I think we'll do one night at Aventura or Cabana Bay, and do Volcano Bay before transferring to RPR the next day to get our Express Passes. Does this seem like the best plan?

Thank you! (Long time no posting, glad to be back!)
PrincessKaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Cliftonite
Serious Dibber

We like you have always done a 14 night at WDW and visited US/IOA during the 14 days.

Last August 4 adults 2 17yos did a week at OKW and a week at Portofino (the price for Portofino was cheaper than HRH).

We used the ME to WDW ran ourselves ragged in the 1st week - early into the parks - thank you jetlag - and used the FP+ and DDP to the max.

We then Uber-ed to US/IOA and had a more leisurely week. We had FOLP which were worth their weight in gold. We fell into one of the parks early, rode everything we wanted - left at lunchtime, the adults chilled at the pool whilst DD & friend shopped at the nearby malls. We all then returned in the evening to eat & ride in the dark.

Uber again to MCO for the flight home. I would do it this way again to be honest as it felt like 2 different holidays. Just takes a wee bit more planning but I do enjoy that bit just as much as going

xxx

2008 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2011 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2013 WL (2 weeks) ~~~ 2018 OKW & Portofino
Cliftonite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoNick
Proud to wear my Ears

I think that the Disney parks are quieter towards the end of August so it may be worth doing Universal first and making the most of their front of line passes and then head across to Disney to make the most of the emptier parks. Whatever option you choose though you’ll have a great time!
OrlandoNick is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrie1781
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Food and Wine usually starts around the 28th August. You CANNOT miss this 😂😂
kerrie1781 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by kerrie1781 View Post
Food and Wine usually starts around the 28th August. You CANNOT miss this 😂😂
29th Aug to 23rd Nov this year

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
PrincessKaty
Getting Excited

Well after I posted this I started pricing Universal hotels for the beginning and end of the stay.
I found a (relative) bargain - HRH for 2 nights with club level rooms for only £5 per night more than a regular room for the end of our stay. I've snapped this up on a "free cancellation" basis and will reconsider when free dining gets released.

Feels exciting to have one part booked though!
PrincessKaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
PrincessRebex
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are planning the same, 12 nights Disney 4 nights universal. We were going to do universal at the end as I like the idea of ME picking us up 😂 then dealing with getting to the airport at the end. I find universal less intense so it’s a nice way to round off the holiday 😃 we were thinking to stay at Cabana bay and maybe upgrade our tickets to express passes (usually stay at HRH so always had them but like the look of Cabana bays view) unsure whether we should do a package deal with universal or DIY, too far in advance to see prices but never had the need to do a package before!
PrincessRebex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
BigPetesWife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PrincessKaty View Post
Well after I posted this I started pricing Universal hotels for the beginning and end of the stay.
I found a (relative) bargain - HRH for 2 nights with club level rooms for only £5 per night more than a regular room for the end of our stay. I've snapped this up on a "free cancellation" basis and will reconsider when free dining gets released.

Feels exciting to have one part booked though!
Where did you find this bargain? I have not been so lucky
BigPetesWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I always wonder where people find these bargains. I have to work cashback miracles to get the prices of our Universal hotel down to a reasonable level!

We did Universal for 3 nights (Sapphire Falls) at the beginning of our holiday before transferring over to Disney and will be doing this again this time. We did it this way around for a few reasons.

1) We liked the idea of getting up early and going for early entry when we were jetlagged. This was especially important as we don't get the FOTL passes staying at SF so the early mornings were easier.

2) Financially, we found it took the load off a little as it was nice to know that you have to shell out for food and drink in those first few days and then most stuff at Disney (except for tips and the odd drink) is paid for. It's harder to budget for that when you've done the bulk of your holiday already... if that makes sense.

3) We can't NOT do our last night in the Magic Kingdom watching the fireworks. It just HAS to happen. It's a heartbreaking tradition but it has to be done.
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

We've gone for 4 nights at Universal at the beginning, and then 10 at Disney this time.
To keep costs down we've gone "moderate" on both Disney and Universal. If need be we will buy fast passes for Universal on the day.

Done it this way mainly as on the last holiday we only had 10 days and ended up only doing a single day at Universal, and didn't get to Aquatica at all :-(.
This time get those out of the way up-front...
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List