Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 12 May 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Panhandle is nice, Seaside and San Destin (Seaside is stunning).
St Augustine on East Coast lovely. Good trip drive up to St Augustine for a few nights (oldest City in US, I'm going back July). You could then easily get to St Simon's or Jekyll. Then Hilton Head. You could do day trips to Charleston and Savannah.
Panhandle is certainly very nice. Pensacola is to date the best Florida beach we have visited, followed by Destin immediately in front of Henderson State park.

Lots to do in the area if you have boys.. USS Alabama memorial park is 40 minutes away from Pensacola at Mobile, Alabama, then you have the Naval,Aviation Museum at Pensacola, the self hire boats at Crab Island in Destin (where there is no Island and no Crabs)., miles and miles of beautiful, unspoilt coastline. Really impressive.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 18, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Panhandle is certainly very nice. Pensacola is to date the best Florida beach we have visited, followed by Destin immediately in front of Henderson State park.

Lots to do in the area if you have boys.. USS Alabama memorial park is 40 minutes away from Pensacola at Mobile, Alabama, then you have the Naval,Aviation Museum at Pensacola, the self hire boats at Crab Island in Destin (where there is no Island and no Crabs)., miles and miles of beautiful, unspoilt coastline. Really impressive.
Thanks. Trip is still on the cards , just not sure when so have made a note of all these great tips. Thank you
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Georgia, there are 2 islands I went to the other year- St Simon's and Jekyll Islands.
Nice, but I found Georgia coast not as nice as South Carolina.
A really cracking trip is Smokey Mountains Tennessee (fly to Atlanta and drive up), then down to North Carolina, then into South Carolina. Avoid Myrtle Beach, too busy and built up.
That was one of the best holidays we have ever had (when we went to a cabin in Smokey's, then Charleston and HHI), and you can take in Dollywood.
We are planning to do this the year after next. Looks amazing.
Spent 3 nights in kiawah island a few years ago and just loved the place.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I have family in Charleston and my goodness the pictures I see on facebook look beautiful. Its definitely on my list of places to visit and perhaps next year will be the time. I will be following your trippy with delight if you write one. You have inspired me to go to quite a few places before.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 18, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
I have family in Charleston and my goodness the pictures I see on facebook look beautiful. Its definitely on my list of places to visit and perhaps next year will be the time. I will be following your trippy with delight if you write one. You have inspired me to go to quite a few places before.
Ah bless you that's so kind.
We are still keen to go - we need to get the time right I think , it didn't look warm enough this past March but I think maybe we just hit it unlucky with a general cold spell on the East Coast. That must be great having folks over there !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
capecoralfl
Apprentice Imagineer

We did a road trip last month from Ft Myers up to Savannah and loved it. It was awfully hot and we stayed in a gorgeous 3 bedroom apartment near Forsyth Park and walked around for 3 days taking it all in! . The people were friendly the houses and buildings were stunning and we will definitely be back. Next on our list is Hilton Head and Charleston
capecoralfl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by capecoralfl View Post
We did a road trip last month from Ft Myers up to Savannah and loved it. It was awfully hot and we stayed in a gorgeous 3 bedroom apartment near Forsyth Park and walked around for 3 days taking it all in! . The people were friendly the houses and buildings were stunning and we will definitely be back. Next on our list is Hilton Head and Charleston
We are calling in at Savannah on our road trip next month any good tips for food and must not miss things to see? We will be with our 9 and 10 year olds so sadly bars etc not an option 😢.

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jul 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridafan101 View Post
We are calling in at Savannah on our road trip next month any good tips for food and must not miss things to see? We will be with our 9 and 10 year olds so sadly bars etc not an option 😢.
You can still go in Moon River Brewing Company if anyone likes craft beers. Food isn't bad there either.
Old 10 Apr 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Hello folks

Resurrecting this thread as the trip is on ! Have 4 or 5 days to play with wedged between a week in Louisiana and a week on Palm Coast

Plan is ...

Orlando mid pm ( flight coming in from New Orleans in the morning) to Jekyll island. overnight.

Mid morning Jekyll to Hilton Head OR Tybee Island with seaside stops on the way. Undecided where to stay ! Overnight at whichever we choose

Mid morning on to Charleston. Afternoon , evening and Overnight in Charleston

Morning ( maybe lunch?) Charleston then on to Savannah mid afternoon. Afternoon , evening and overnight Savannah

Morning and lunch Savannah then mid afternoon and on to Flagler Beach. Week of exploring inc St Augustine.

That gives us 2 to 3 hours drive each day which feels about right and we shouldn’t be doubling back on ourselves too much .

What do you think ?
Old 10 Apr 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

So not a beach person but love Tybee Island and Savannah is stunning
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List