Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 7 May 18, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Talking Beers, Ears and Thirty Years - The Food, The Drinks and The Fun! COMPLETE!

Hiya pals!

We’ve tragically been back a week from our amazing 7 night trip to Orlando to celebrate Benj’s 30th. We had the absolute freakin’ BEST time and we’re totally gutted to be back, BUT we’re now even closer to our California trip this October (still haven’t booked anything though, really need to get on that! ) a fact which is really helping me deal with the DB’s (Disney Blues).

And, what else is a great way to deal with the DB’s? TRIP REPOORRRRTTTT! I’ve decided to do a dining report this time round as I didn’t take any notes or really too many photos that weren’t food, plus I need to finish my wedding trip report and start my California PT so really there’s just a lot of trip reports flying around already and I don’t think adding a full Orlando TR to the mix would be the most sensible decision. SO, dining it is, with probably a full trippie thrown in there anyway as apparently I’m incapable of not doing that (see 2015 ‘dining’ report for reference).

Some background info: we flew out on the 19th April with Virgin, stayed at the Comfort Inn International for all 7 nights, visited MK and Epcot and spent the rest of the time shopping/chilling/drinking/eating.

Full details of the cast, trip plans and itinerary can be found in my pre trippie here. I've even already written Day 1 and it's ready to post! So, let’s get to it!

Edited at 07:13 PM.
oh_darling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
oh_darling
VIP Dibber

Day 0 - Wednesday 18th April (Pre Travel Day)

We were both working all day and as is always the case, both had insanely busy days. We both do 8 til 4 and promised each other we’d leave at 4 on the dot and each be home between 4.30/4.40, for a speedy change and 5.00pm ETD. This did not happen. I had one of the most crazy busy days at work everrrrrrr despite getting all my cooking done earlier in the week and writing a nice to-do list to tick off on the day. I eventually left at 4.15. It was a fabulous feeling though, walking out of work for a whole week and a half, and I left my stresses in the carpark and drove away from them!

I called Benj once I was in my car to apologise and see how he was getting on and although he’d left on time, traffic was horrific and his sat nav said he’d be home at 5.10 Not ideal but what can you do! I got home about 4.50 ready to change, clean up and get my case zipped up, but I realised I’d given our cat sitter my key so couldn’t get in without Ben haha! At this point I just gave up, it was a gorgeous day so I sat down outside our flat and just enjoyed the sunshine for a bit. Benj got back all frazzled bless him and we went inside and did asll the last minute bits we needed to. We decided not to change and just get on the road ASAP. We eventually left the flat about 5.20 which wasn’t awful!

Traffic was actually really good so we pulled up to the hotel at 6.40 (I did take notes for the first few days by the way hence the precise timings! This absolutely will not last.)

Our hotel was the Sandman Signature at Gatwick. It was really nice, super posh! Our friends booked it for us as a birthday prezzie for Ben which was so cute! We felt very lucky to be staying there as we weren’t planning to book a night before hotel for this trip

Check in was smooth and we booked a table in the hotel restaurant for 8.15. We finally got up to the room about 7pm and FINALLY we could relax!

The room was so lovely!

I was feeling so gross still wearing my work stuff so wanted to shower ASAP but also wanted champagne haha! Ben went to source some ice from somewhere, then came back triumphant!

We then cracked open the bottle of champagne we’d bought (I had grabbed some champagne flutes from the bar on our way up to the room) and we cheers’ed!

I then hopped in the bathroom and had a loooooveellllly long hot shower I laid on the bed in my towel painting my nails and drinking my champagne and I finally felt so so relaxed and excited for the holiday

We watched some TV, Ben showered then we both got ready for dinner and headed down about 8.25, running a bit late but we didn't think it'd matter (and it didn't!)

(These are from my Instagram stories, we both took loads this trip and then saved the stories at the end of each day so we have mini vlogs to look back on! I’ll add them in to the dining report )

The restaurant was dead haha there were like 5 other groups in there, but it seemed nice and we got given a cute booth table so I was happy

We ordered drinks first, it was £4 margaritas so Ben got a Classic and I got a Raspberry one. The waitress also asked if we’d like a jug of water so we said yes. And then...we waited. She came back minus drinks and we ordered our starter and main, but still no drinks.

Our starter then came out! We had no drinks, not even the jug of water that she’d suggested! I wasn’t impressed because we then asked two different waitresses for our drinks. Mouth. Dry.

Our nachos were yummy though, they weren’t as amazing as the description promised but they were good:

DOUBLE CHEESE NACHOS
A half pound of melted cheese atop tortilla chips, finished with diced tomatoes, spring onions and jalapeños. Served with salsa and sour cream (v)
ADD GUACAMOLE 1.50

(Obvs we added guac!)

Our drinks eventually came and they weren’t great, not strong and tasted just like flavoured water really. Speaking of, still no jug of water!

Then, as we were still eating our nachos, they bought our pizza out! I was so annoyed, honestly the service in this restaurant was appalling. I’d go so far as to say it’s up there with the worst dinner service we’ve ever had!

Thankfully, the pizza was amazing which made me care less about the awful service. We just shared a margarita but it was wood fired with a chewy crust and tasted incredible.

I asked for water a second time and they bought us some out.

Pizza dexcriptiuon: MARGHERITA
Rustic tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil
ADD SPICY BEEF £3
£10.95

We were slightly put out by the lack of topping options, add spicy beef!? Nothing else!? So random! We just got the bog standard and it really was delish.

We were super over this meal by this point though, so I asked for the bill as we were still enjoying our pizza as I had a feeling it wouldn’t be a speedy task and I was right hahaha.

When I got the bill though, I was like ooh that’s more than I’d expected, £46! I looked at it properly then HIT THE ROOF, they’d charged us for TWO nachos and ADDED a £6 gratuity on! I don’t think so sonny jim! Feeling highly fed up about the whole situation I flagged down another waitress and asked her to take off the nachos we didn’t order and the gratuity we wouldn’t be paying. Absolutely ridiculous! Ben was like cringing into his watery margarita hahah but stuff like this really bothers me. She changed the receipt and came back with a much more palatable £30 bill, which we paid then immediately left.

I took some photos of the very grand staircase!

Once back up in the room we were full but not stuffed which was nice. We got our PJs on and got into bed, then watched TV for a bit before turning it off at 10.30 with our alarms set for a 6.30am wake up. We were going to Florida tomorrow!
oh_darling is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
H_C-2017
Serious Dibber

so excited!
I loved your food/trip report from your frugal festive trip!
Just caught up with your wedding trip too.
Can't wait to read more - shame about the poor service at the hotel restaurant.
x
H_C-2017 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Excited...me ? 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

Following!

Service sounds awful but at least the food was nice! Looking forward to more
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Woohoo great start

Shame about your sucky first meal but i'm sure there are much better things to come!

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

I'm following! We've stayed at the Sandman Signature too and thought it was lovely... except for the fact we had to park our car on the grass verge as there were no parking spaces left! Good job we weren't leaving it there the whole time lol. Excited for more! And I like the fact that it's a dining report with added details
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

If that's half a pound of melted cheese I'm 10 stone Following!
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
zoebums
Apprentice Imagineer

following x
zoebums is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Looking forward to reading
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List