Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Apr 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I was always put off Thomas Cook because they didn’t do a premium cabin from Glasgow. We looked at them a couple of years ago because they flew Friday/Sunday and we wanted 16 nights but their economy wasn’t much cheaper than Virgin with no option for us to upgrade to PE if we wanted to. Also we can collect miles with Virgin and are therefore paying £325 pp for economy out and PE back this year.
I would suggest it’s nothing to do with demand and more to do with the product offered - expensive in Scottish school holiday time, no PE and no Saturday flights. Last year we were stuck to Saturday to Saturday thereby excluding both Tui and TC.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
weeleighluigi
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THOR1 View Post
I don't know why more of my fellow Scottish residents don't connect in the US.

We fly Edinburgh - Newark - Orlando every time and it is great.

Economy price with luggage, seat booking and meals this year in September £550 return with United.

Flight out 12.20pm Edinburgh lands Orlando 4.45pm.

Flight back lands in Edinburgh 8.20.

Clear customs in Newark so straight to baggage collection in Orlando and out the door.

What's not to like about that?

We prefer to fly direct,
Hubby is a nervous flyer, as is our youngest who is also suspected autistic and has a sensory disorder.

We actually don't mind the travelling to Manchester, our youngest LOVES the premier inn the night before. It's the drive home that's grim.

To be honest, the flight prices couldn't be better. ... we paid 2300 for 4 adults, a 12yo and a 7yo. Thomas Cook economy direct from MAN to MCO. June 26th-july 11th. That includes luggage because we booked before they tiered their economy and seats (we get 2 each way free because of special assistance). That's 384 quid pp.

My only complaint, is it's Manchester haha.
weeleighluigi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
THOR1
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by weeleighluigi View Post
We prefer to fly direct,
Hubby is a nervous flyer, as is our youngest who is also suspected autistic and has a sensory disorder.

We actually don't mind the travelling to Manchester, our youngest LOVES the premier inn the night before. It's the drive home that's grim.

To be honest, the flight prices couldn't be better. ... we paid 2300 for 4 adults, a 12yo and a 7yo. Thomas Cook economy direct from MAN to MCO. June 26th-july 11th. That includes luggage because we booked before they tiered their economy and seats (we get 2 each way free because of special assistance). That's 384 quid pp.

My only complaint, is it's Manchester haha.
Everyone circumstances are different and we all have our individual preferences as well.

I think the single most dangerous thing I have ever done was to drive back from Manchester after an overnight flight from Florida and swore I would never do such a thing again.

We did however take the trans-Pennine express down to Manchester one year to save cash and the journey down and the night in the hotel were fine.

The flight leaving Orlando was late though and we missed the train, they did put us on the next one no problem but our seat reservations were gone and the journey back hellish.

We are at the stage now where if our journey doesn't start and end now in Scotland with the last flight being straight back to Scotland from the US we just won't go.

The thought of hanging in around in Gatwick or Manchester waiting for a connecting flight or traveling home by train just doesn't appeal to us, but again we are all different / have different issues and constraints.

Thankfully there are still enough options to permit this although another carrier withdrawing is only going to push prices up.

I wanted to bring the option quoted to folk's attention who may not have previously considered it.

Edited at 01:48 PM.
THOR1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I would suggest it’s nothing to do with demand and more to do with the product offered - expensive in Scottish school holiday time, no PE and no Saturday flights. Last year we were stuck to Saturday to Saturday thereby excluding both Tui and TC.
We're also in Scotland, near Glasgow. Obviously the school holiday premium pricing happens across the UK when local school terms end, though thankfully at different times.

But I entirely agree with you. There is no lack of demand. Far from it. Every time we are mouse-bound we research prices from Glasgow Airport over an extended period.

Every time, its a no brainer. Flying 7 days a week via Gatwick with BA for £500ish per person at end of june, versus £900ish direct with TC or VA. Is there any surprise indirect is king?

We just treat the 3hr Gatwick layover as part of the holiday - an opportunity for some shopping or a nice sit down meal.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I haven't flown direct since the days of dear old Globespan. But this year will be the first via lgw as usually do united via Newark. Not looking forward to the 3-4 hr wait at lgw coming home but at £1k saving over united or direct option, I am at least willing to try it.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by thefergies View Post
I haven't flown direct since the days of dear old Globespan. But this year will be the first via lgw as usually do united via Newark. Not looking forward to the 3-4 hr wait at lgw coming home but at £1k saving over united or direct option, I am at least willing to try it.
For what its worth, we've done it a few times now and the layover passes in no time. Once you navigate passport control then security and grab a leisurely cuppa, its time to make your way to the gate.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by THOR1 View Post
Everyone circumstances are different and we all have our individual preferences as well.

I think the single most dangerous thing I have ever done was to drive back from Manchester after an overnight flight from Florida and swore I would never do such a thing again.

We did however take the trans-Pennine express down to Manchester one year to save cash and the journey down and the night in the hotel were fine.

The flight leaving Orlando was late though and we missed the train, they did put us on the next one no problem but our seat reservations were gone and the journey back hellish.

We are at the stage now where if our journey doesn't start and end now in Scotland with the last flight being straight back to Scotland from the US we just won't go.

The thought of hanging in around in Gatwick or Manchester waiting for a connecting flight or traveling home by train just doesn't appeal to us, but again we are all different / have different issues and constraints.

Thankfully there are still enough options to permit this although another carrier withdrawing is only going to push prices up.

I wanted to bring the option quoted to folk's attention who may not have previously considered it.
My preference is direct to and from Glasgow/Edinburgh every time. I will consider indirect and do it if it’s that or not go. The indirect route doesn’t matter. I most definitely will not do that drive from Manchester again though. I agree with you that it’s the most dangerous thing I’ve ever done and won’t repeat it.
It’s disappointing enough that you can’t go direct in the winter but now there are less choices in the summer.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Stitch & Smudge View Post
I really cannot see this being the case. Whenever we fly through Gatwick or Heathrow it’s unbelievable just how many of us Scots are on the same flights. It’s ridiculous that it’s always far cheaper to take two flights flying via London rather than fly directly from Edinburgh or Glasgow.
It's not ridiculous at all. One flight is more convenient than two. It's why indirect is cheaper than direct. With direct there is less stress, eg no worrying about the first flight having problems resulting in you missing the connecting one. In other words, quality not quantity.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

We are from Aberdeen and for years when 4 of us were going, we drove to and from Manchester.
Drive down the day before Radisson Blu overnight and fly out to MCO mid morning.
When checking in at the Radisson we always asked the availability of a day room on our return date. We always got one from 8am to 4pm for around £40 which was well worth it.
So on return, day room then an 8 hr drive up north.

Now as there’s just two of us, we try direct from GLA, this year with TUI, last three years it was TC and previous VA . Twice flew indirect Edinburgh via Newark, and missed connection both times.
Also did Aberdeen to Gatwick then onto MCO when BA used to fly into Gatwick, sadly no more.

Preference now is still direct from Glasgow.
PPM is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
It's not ridiculous at all. One flight is more convenient than two. It's why indirect is cheaper than direct. With direct there is less stress, eg no worrying about the first flight having problems resulting in you missing the connecting one. In other words, quality not quantity.
I believe the point here is the premium we pay to fly direct from Scotland compared to flying direct from London. It’s a tad frustrating.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List