Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Apr 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
(BTW, John Humphries argument could be applied to us as individuals. Once we've paid for our own essentials, why don't we give *all* of our disposable income to good causes rather than spending it on non-essentials such as, say, holidays to Disney? )
Not strictly correct ( and I know you like to be correct, Nimbus )
These people donating to the cathedral are very rich and won't be missing out on anything else by donating. I think to them, what they are giving is less % than what I donate to charity every month. They can still do all the things they want to, so it's different to 'donating instead of having a holiday'
I'd like to see somebody like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet offer to match the funding given for the cathedral and give it to a real humanitarian cause
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I think it’s good that the multi billionaire industrialists are donating so generously. The Catholic Church can afford to do likewise. Other religions could take the opportunity to show solidarity by contributing. Obviously many individuals around the world, French or otherwise will want to donate.

BUT I do not think the EU or wealthier nations should be asked to help. Nor do I want the U.K. government to donate from taxpayers money, we have more urgent matters at home that need funding.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Like most of these types of discussion it’s very subjective.

If Westminster abbey was destroyed in a fire would people be happy to say just leave it to die?

This is an important building for the French, so AFAIAC it’s up to the French to decide how much we etc.

As for their being poor areas in Paris, equally there are ghettos and poverty Striken places in the U.K. when and where do we decide who gets what.

When everyone gives up there money for Disney vacations to assist the poor then ill take the comments on board.

IS macron asking for donations from other countries. I thought in his speech he wants the skills from around the world in renovations as opposed to financial aid from countries?

Edited at 12:00 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I do think it would be sad if this famous old building was not restored, I am confident many will donate to ensure the work is done.
Is money / donations being spent on the right thing? Who am I to judge, if I do judge then I am a hypocrite because I willingly spend thousands of pounds to spoil my children in a holiday to Florida when there are families starving, children living through wars, fighting diseases that could be easily treated with the right medication but no funds to do so, children forced to drink dirty water etc etc
There are many that are richer than I, travelling first class, private jet, some have a private island! Yet we all turn a blind eye.
If only all the riches could be shared, there could possibly be an end to starvation etc
There is such an extreme range from rich to poor, how is that fair.
This post has made me sad and also made me think!
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
IS macron asking for donations from other countries. I thought in his speech he wants the skills from around the world in renovations as opposed to financial aid from countries?
Not asking from other countries per se, but an international fundraising campaign.
From The Independent - ‘While the French government is yet to give details of the international fundraising scheme promised by Mr Macron, an appeal has been launched by the charity Fondation du Patrimoine, a private organisation working to protect French “cultural and natural” heritage.’
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Perhaps it will end up as an insurance job, if it’s found to be the fault of the company doing the renovations.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Notre Dame is not merely a building.

It represents more than eight centuries of French and European history.

It showcases amazing pieces of art and the most moving pieces of music.

It is a major tourist attraction which generates money not only for its upkeep, but for hundreds of French businesses.

As a tourist, I found Notre Dame to be a most beautiful cathedral containing a fantastic array of historical treasures.

As a Catholic, it was where I celebrated a wonderfully moving Mass. It was truly inspiring.

Notre Dame needs to be rebuilt, a failure to do so would be too great a loss for France and for Europe.
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue BL View Post
Perhaps it will end up as an insurance job, if it’s found to be the fault of the company doing the renovations.
I’m not sure that a private contractor could possibly afford the premium to indemnify against a total loss, or even partial loss, of something like Notre Dame - even if it could find an insurer.
More likely there would would be financial limitations relating to liabilities within the contractual arrangements.
It is unlikely there would be such an emphasis on fund raising if it was an insurable loss.JMO
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

It will never be the same either way . None of it will be original any more. I think it's a waste of money and would say the same about Westminster. It is just a building. Mexy has a valid point about the way people have reacted to this in comparison to Grenfell. It is sad that people have more compassion to a building than humans.
I understand emotional attachment but people face genuine life and death situations on a daily basis so a building pales in comparison.
I know probably not a popular opinion but it is just what I think.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

A building is rarely ‘just a building’. Many of us get teary-eyed at the sight of Cinderella Castle and that isn’t even a ‘real’ castle!

It’s not either/or but both/and. Of course Notre Dame should be restored, and if there are enough rich people willing to chip in, great - it will take the burden off others.

But of course (as Victor Hugo pointed out long ago) people should not be living in abject poverty either.

God help the outcasts...
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List