Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mummy can we do the Mummy? - Day 2 - 11.04.19

Mummy can we do the Mummy? - Day 2 - 11.04.19

Index

Part 1

A bit of a longer lie this morning. I woke up just before 6am. The other 2 woke up about half an hour later.

We pottered about for a bit finishing organising stuff and we left the Rosen around 9. I ordered an Uber xl to take us to the Royal Pacific, $13.

We checked in and the girl checking us in was lovely. Check in was really quiet. There is a lobby refurbishment going on but there was no real impact.

They granted my request for tower 3 but our room wasn’t ready. I left my mobile number and was told they’d text when it was ready. Our room keys were printed and they are also your express pass.

There was a boat waiting when we got to the dock. The captain was really funny and full of jokes. I really love the boat journey across to the parks.

We headed for the studios to start with.

Having watched plenty Tim Tracker vlogs I know that the minions ride is a good guide to see how busy the park is and at 9.45 it was 20 minutes.

Df loves the minions so this was a great ride to start with and we got to meet Kevin and Stuart at the end of the ride.

Next ds wanted to do Jimmy Fallon. I know this ride gets a bit of a hard time but we really like it. This was a first for df and she really liked it. We even got a high five from hashtag the panda on the way past. I love him.

On the 3D path ds decided transformers should be next. It was a 20 minute wait also but walk on with the express pass. I don’t mind this ride but there’s so much going on I struggle to keep up with what’s happening at times.

A text came through at 10.20 to say the room was ready and we had indeed been given tower 3 and the 5th floor.

We went to collect our APH buttons. I love this Mummy reference.

Given the park was so quiet we decided to explore Diagon Alley.

Df loves Harry Potter and Diagon Alley opened after her last visit. She was stunned with how detailed it was. Next up we went on Gringotts, this was reporting a 10 minute wait. There was a line for the lockers. So this is the first time we’ve been since they changed the locker system. So the small lockers are still free but the normal size ones now cost $2. I had my across body Kipling which fitted in fine and df had a small rucksack which again fitted in ok but we did have one each. The lockers are really deep but very short, the mug no longer fits in standing up.

The team member there was shouting at everyone that it should just be one person per party but really if that’s what they want they shouldn’t have made the lockers smaller as it’s your pass that you use to open them. I really like the fact it’s your ticket you use now as the finger scan thing was always so hit or miss for me.

If you wear a bum bag with a 3 prong clasp you don’t need to store these, ds had one so he carried a phone for line photos.

The express line was empty so great for a few photographs.

We ended up in the back row. This ride is so awesome. A little longer spent wandering in Diagon Alley taking in more of the detail.

Round next to MIB another of my favourites. Lockers here were quieter here and again if you have a bum bag you can keep it on. This was really quiet as well again 10 minutes and walk on with the express pass. I was last and it had a wee glitch at the end where we got stuck for a few minutes.

We wandered back around to catch the Hogwarts Express over to IOA. This again was new for df and she had no idea about the journey, she thought it was just a train so she was really impressed again.

By this point we were starving after only having had doughnuts for breakfast. I’d booked Confisco Grill for 1.30 thinking everywhere would be busy.

We arrived early at 1pm and were seated straight away, I’d never been here before as we always tended to favour Mythos. Our server was lovely. The menu had loads on it that we would have eaten.

We had lovely rolls with butter drizzled with honey, butter that was spreadable which is unusual for universal.

Ds went for the kids grilled cheese with fries and corn on the cob - he enjoyed it. He had extra fries from both of us and I swapped some of my sandwich for some of his grilled cheese.

Df had the chicken wrap with fries and thought it was great.
hunger had obviously impaired my ability to take photos properly.

Chipotle Chicken Wrap ( V ) - $12.99
Grilled chicken, romaine, cheddar-jack cheese, roasted corn, salsa, chipotle sour cream, fried Tabasco® onions and crispy tortilla chips

I had the chicken and shrimp sandwich which was brilliant, so full of flavour.

Buffalo Shrimp & Chicken Sandwich ( GF ) - $15.49
Popcorn shrimp, grilled buffalo chicken, creamy dill ranch, lettuce, tomato. Served on a fresh baked bun with French fries.

All 3 of us agreed at the fries were actually the best we had ever had.

We all just had soda and our server offered us to an extra cup each to go as it was hot outside.

It was $50 before we added on the tip.

We forgot the annual passholder discount as we were starving but we all thought it was good value. I’d definitely go back there.

Puss and Boots was doing a meet and greet.

By this point we were flagging so we headed out via the large shop where df bought some minion jammies, I got a gorgeous grinch top and ds bought himself a Ravenclaw journal and a bowtruckle.

A slow walk back to the hotel was in order. I headed to the desk but was surprised to be told we didn’t need new keys that the ones we had would be fine, every other time we’ve needed new ones.

For anyone’s staying at RPR and worried about the lobby refurb, don’t! It is utterly minimal.

Edited at 09:15 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Part 2

Once in our room and organised we decided to go for an hour in the pool. I forgot to take room pictures so I'm using some from my last trip.

The pool itself wasn’t crazy busy but there was not a lot of spare chairs. I like it that you can get the long towels here for the chairs, they also have a fruit water dispenser and they even have suncream. Ds had loads of fun carrying on with a beach ball even though the volleyball nets were not up.

They were wandering around with little smoothie samples.

After a lovely time in the glorious sunshine and warm pool we got ready to head back out to the parks. We caught the boat across, they were really regular and we never waited more than 5 minutes on one.

Ds had announced before we went out that he wanted to start with the mummy! I was a bit taken aback as on our summer trip he freaked out when we got to the front of the line and were allocated front row, he got off, proceeded to stand at the wrong bit and we ended up searching for him for 20 minutes. So he was under strict instructions that if he freaked again to head to the family room - anyway my worries were unjustified and he loved it!

The park was still pretty quiet so we headed back into Diagon Alley for another wander around and another ride on Gringotts. Df loves seeing the dragon breathe fire.

With no clue what to do for dinner we thought it might be an idea to check out the Leaky cauldron to see if it was busy. There was no line so we thought we’d give it a go.

Ds ordered the kids fish and chips and a butter beer. He enjoyed all of this.

I had the bangers and mash, the sausages were pretty nice and the mash wasn’t bad and the peas were fine, the other veg was solid though.

Df had the toad in the hole. She said the same, her food was fine in general but the veg was solid as well. She had the peach fizzing tea and said it was really nice.

It felt a bit school canteen like but I’m glad we finally tried a Harry Potter place to eat. In terms of value Confisco Grill was way better value. The theming was nice though.

We were keen, well I was keen for another go on Men in black. I managed to exceed my expectations on this and got 256,000! Ds was last😂

Our aim was the cinematic spectacular but we were a little early and when we passed Kang and kodos it had no line at all so why not!

We found an ok spot for the Cinematic spectacular. We really enjoyed this, ds and I have seen it before but it was new for df. It’s great that universal have such a fantastic night time show now.

To finish off the night we had a wander around the shops and walked all the way back to Royal Pacific.

Exhausted we were asleep as soon as our heads hit the pillow.

Edited at 09:12 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Sounds like a fun day and, surprisingly, not that busy. I thought Easter was supposed to be rammed!
Thanks for the tip about bum bags, I thought all bags had to go in lockers. The small lockers sound like a bit of a pain. I’m sure they want to deter you from bringing a bag, but I always take a small one (Kipling or bum bag).
Confisco looks nice- not tried it there.
Enjoyed reading. Looking forward to the rest.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Our room keys were printed and they are also your room key.
Handy to know..
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great report x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Mole83 View Post
Handy to know..
Meant room keys are also your express pass 😂
Old 21 Apr 19, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
Sounds like a fun day and, surprisingly, not that busy. I thought Easter was supposed to be rammed!
Thanks for the tip about bum bags, I thought all bags had to go in lockers. The small lockers sound like a bit of a pain. I’m sure they want to deter you from bringing a bag, but I always take a small one (Kipling or bum bag).
Confisco looks nice- not tried it there.
Enjoyed reading. Looking forward to the rest.
I think we caught the calm before the storm in terms of the crowds. It did get steadily busier.

The bum bag thing was new info to me but it was really handy. My bag is a little Kipling that can be cross body or a bum bag.

I was concerned about the lockers size before we went but they were actually ok, we ended up planning when to refill our drinks depending on what we were riding when.

I was just showing Dh the stuff from Confisco Grill and we think we will try there again in the summer, it was pretty good.

Thanks for reading.
Old 21 Apr 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by summersun View Post
great report x
Thanks for reading.
Old 21 Apr 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds like a good day. Good for your DS for you g back on the Mummy. I couldn't get DD to even try it when we went (but she was only 8 at the time).
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm glad your DS managed to enjoy the mummy it's my favourite non HP ride at universal. I can't believe how quiet it is too. Still handy to have the express passes and be able to go back for a swim before heading out in the evening. I've not seen the night time shows at universal so I really need to make sure we do that this summer.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List