Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Apr 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Don't underestimate how much there will be!

I spend quite a bit of time around my Sons. His Partners Dad is a spark so has done all their light fittings, security lights and will be doing the CCTV system soon. Good, saves me going up in that horrible fibreglass!
Sounds like you have got away lightly As you know I do the same (sparks) so will no doubt do the electrics, alarm and cctv. I also hate going into peoples lofts because of the dust, the installation and the balancing on the joists (just one false move and I'm through the ceiling). It's worse in the summer, and many a nights I've slept badly due to itching and an uncomfortable chest. I no longer do rewires as it's just not worth the hassle, so my visits to lofts nowadays are usually brief.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Would a simple IOU suffice?
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Oh, as an aside I really should have transferred the money direct to my Son before he instructed a Solicitor.
That Solicitor wanted me to jump through hoops not regarding the 'gift' but in relation to money laundering regulations. Wanted evidence of where we had got the money from, how long we had lived at our address, bank statements, proof of identity, Passport copies and the list goes on.

I got around that by parachuting the money to the Mortgage Broker my Son was using and he then transferred it to the Solicitor. Job done.
We had the same issue last year in gifting money to our daughter- what a performance.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh, as an aside I really should have transferred the money direct to my Son before he instructed a Solicitor.
That Solicitor wanted me to jump through hoops not regarding the 'gift' but in relation to money laundering regulations. Wanted evidence of where we had got the money from, how long we had lived at our address, bank statements, proof of identity, Passport copies and the list goes on.

I got around that by parachuting the money to the Mortgage Broker my Son was using and he then transferred it to the Solicitor. Job done.
Oh God Tom you are not kidding. The recent money we gifted took ages to transfer with all the limits. That said moving our own money between accounts is also a 24 act drama.
Meanwhile the real money launderers shop in Harrods and the like!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Oh God Tom you are not kidding. The recent money we gifted took ages to transfer with all the limits. That said moving our own money between accounts is also a 24 act drama.
Meanwhile the real money launderers shop in Harrods and the like!
You also get quite a few money launderers in Costa
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
You also get quite a few money launderers in Costa
Yep Costa and Harrods!

You get everything in Costa. 😂
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

How about looking at an inter generational or spring board type mortgage, the money stays yours the you can gift it back to them in 3-5 years without all the legal hoop jumping (or if it all hits the proverbial you have that money and can use it to help out on the get out)

Here’s another take on it... are the partners parents/savings going to end up of equal value once the whole thing comes to fruition?
Otherwise advise them to consider a deed of trust or something in writing that returns said £xxx to you child on sale of the home.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
We are also wondering about this as our children get to the age where they may leave, just think it's so sad that we now live in a time that hard working people can't afford a property where they have grown up and work without the help of their parents
Rob
I also think it’s sad that we are thinking about the impact of divorce / splitting up when they are just getting started.

Edited at 03:50 PM.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
josh071189
Getting to know the DIBB

My parents and my wife's parents helped us with our house deposit (we are moving into a new build in July/August) - our parents have contributed pretty much everything to the house deposit.

We came to an agreement with both sets of parents that we would see this as a 'gifted loan' rather than assuming it isn't going to be paid back. Luckily everyone involved really does get on - to the point our parents have their own whatsapp chat without us! - we plan to begin repaying each pair of parents once we move in, our parents have lent us this huge sum of money to essentially 'help us get on the ladder' - once we are on it, repaying each set of parents won't be too hard in monthly installments but we intend to pay every penny back.

We haven't drawn up a contract or anything official but having been together for 10+ years (since we were 18) - both my wife and I, and our parents implicitly trust each other that all money will be repaid. I guess my only advice would be to look at what you / your child's partner are looking to help with and draw up an agreement (whether formally or not) from there. Good luck!
Old 21 Apr 19, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by laurad107 View Post
I’m a mortgage adviser and there are ways to do this. Go see a mortgage adviser and they’ll let you know which lenders are ok with the scenario and the conveyancer will be able to deal with it.
If your son says it’s a loan most lenders will have an issue with that.
OP, this is the post to take most notice of on this thread. Go see a professional.

As well intentioned as it may be, there are a number of other posts on this thread that contain incorrect information.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List