Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Apr 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

VA flying club miles experts...

I think I've built a wall with the whole flying miles thing as find it very confusing.

We have enough miles at the moment for a reward flight in Premium(we need 90,000 and have just under 200,000) but would like to try and get enough in total for a reward UC flight which seeing as we travel mostly at weekends, we'd need 280,000 for 2 reward UC flights.

If we book with cash for our next flight, outbound in PE and inbound in UC, how many miles will that give us, or does it depend on the flight category?

Thank you, if we're a long way away from getting enough for UC, then I'll just go ahead and use them for PE for our next flight, we don't stick to VA so I don't want to be forced to if that makes sense.

Thank you. (& well done for understanding flying miles!)

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I am no expert but just did a quick calculation on their webpage and I think you will get around 12500 each for the above flight.

virginatlantic/gb/en...les-table.html

This link can give you a guide idea on points. Hope it helps a little.
Old 21 Apr 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
I am no expert but just did a quick calculation on their webpage and I think you will get around 12500 each for the above flight.

virginatlantic/gb/en...les-table.html

This link can give you a guide idea on points. Hope it helps a little.
Thank you, wow it's not straight forward is it!

I think we may be better to just use the miles now, have a feeling we'll be tied to VA for a few flights if we decide to try and save more.

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
dippy lippy
Excited about Disney

Just a thought - I was going to use my miles last year (October) for a flight - but I managed to bag Miami return (London) at a very good price in PE - £691pp so I didnt think it worth using miles. I got this a few weeks before flying out - flew out on a Tuesday and back on a Wednesday - all the other days around it were a lot more - so it may be worth keeping an eye on the prices - they do change quite regulary!
dippy lippy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dippy lippy View Post
Just a thought - I was going to use my miles last year (October) for a flight - but I managed to bag Miami return (London) at a very good price in PE - £691pp so I didnt think it worth using miles. I got this a few weeks before flying out - flew out on a Tuesday and back on a Wednesday - all the other days around it were a lot more - so it may be worth keeping an eye on the prices - they do change quite regulary!
Thank you, yes I always keep an eye on flight prices, almost obsessively DH would say!

Old 21 Apr 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Not sure where you got your figures from. For direct to Orlando/Miami, Upper is 95k return off peak, 115k peak. Or 105k if only one flight is peak.

Flying on the weekends doesn’t alter the amount of miles needed.

My guess is you’ve seen indirect flights, which bumps up the miles needed as they’re classed as separate flights when you use miles.

Peak season travel dates:
4 April 2019 - 22 April 2019
22 June 2019 - 8 September 2019
13 December 2019 - 5 January 2020
3 April 2020 - 21 April 2020
20 June 2020 - 6 September 2020
12 December 2020 - 31 December 2020

Edited at 09:19 PM.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
Not sure where you got your figures from. For direct to Orlando/Miami, Upper is 95k return off peak, 115k peak. Or 105k if only one flight is peak.

Flying on the weekends doesn’t alter the amount of miles needed.

My guess is you’ve seen indirect flights, which bumps up the miles needed as they’re classed as separate flights when you use miles.

Peak season travel dates:
4 April 2019 - 22 April 2019
22 June 2019 - 8 September 2019
13 December 2019 - 5 January 2020
3 April 2020 - 21 April 2020
20 June 2020 - 6 September 2020
12 December 2020 - 31 December 2020
Seems the 140,000 each are for indirect flights, there’s very little availability for dates we can do, even for our March dates 11 months out.

Old 21 Apr 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

rewardflightfinder/virgin-atlantic

This website will help you get what you want when they are released. They clearly haven’t released any premium or upper reward seats for Feb/March 2020 yet. Virgin don’t/rarely release them 11 months out anymore. You just have to keep checking. I got Upper for last August, about 6 weeks or so after the flight was released. I checked many times a day after the flights were released. Now with the site above, it will make it so much easier to get the dates you want.

The alert I set up on that site helped me upgrade to premium last week when virgin dropped a couple of seats early in the morning. I paid the £3 monthly fee for an hourly check(rather than the free daily one).

Edited at 10:03 PM.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

I’ve just found reward UC flights for March 2020 ... , what are your dates ?
Old 21 Apr 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mymemories View Post
I’ve just found reward UC flights for March 2020 ... , what are your dates ?
Direct flights?