Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 19, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I’m sorry if this sounds harsh but it is coming from someone who owns a cat and a dog. What would you do if your cat went into someone garden and ripped their rabbits apart would you have your cat put to sleep. What has happened is awful for you but your cat was in the dogs territory, it happened to be a staffie it could have been a westie a lot of dogs act the same. The choice is now yours keep the cats as house cats so they carnt go on other peoples property and run the risk of attack or let them roam.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
The choice is now yours keep the cats as house cats so they carnt go on other peoples property and run the risk of attack or let them roam.
This is purely a question, as I am a dog owner and have never had cats!

Is this a realistic option? - I can only imagine that it would be really difficult to change two cats, that are used to going out, into house cats?

I know it’s not the same thing, but to try keeping my dog inside when she was poorly, and even though she was ill, she was a nightmare and she was literally climbing the walls - would that not happen with cats then?

I know keeping them in would keep them safe, but what sort of life would it be, when they had known the freedom of the outdoors before?

Is it possible to train cats to stay in the garden? Otherwise how would they get their fresh air?

Genuinely not arguing, just really interested to know - as I too would want to keep my remaining cats safe.
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I have no experience of my dog killing a cat but the scenario does make me worried.

Our dog is 13 years old and a rescue terrier mutt we have had for 10 years. We have a walled garden but the dog never leaves the garden even if the gates are open he won’t run down the road or try to escape.

But, he does hate the cats that use the wall as a walkway and even more he hates the squirrels. I really don’t know what would happen if he could actually reach one. Sometimes the cats actually stand on the 6 foot wall and appear to dance in front of him!

He is actually a timid dog, good with our grandchildren, walks well on the lead and likes other dogs when off the lead in open countryside walks.

It does worry me that if he did get a cat he could mame it!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
shoei
slightly serious Dibber

My cat was attacked my by husbands cousins dog.

We live on a farm and he was visiting his parents who live next door. Being a farm we don't really have 'boundaries' around our property and he just used to let his dog run riot. I had spoken to him about this the week before when the dog had chased her up a tree in my garden.

We didn't see the attack but luckily Prudence managed to get away but did require stitches and medication for infection.

He doesn't let the dog off now.

Unfortunately, it is a dogs instinct to chase cats and other small furry things, even dogs that have been brought up with cats can chase one they don't know. And cats do like to get into trouble.

Can you maybe look at making your garden cat proof to keep them in? I know someone who has high fencing with and overhang facing inwards so the cat can't climb over the fence.
shoei is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Amy56 it is possible to fence and enclose your entire garden so as to be cat-proof. I've done it with mine since a cat-poisoner on our estate killed several, including one of mine. It isn't cheap - it cost me about £1,000 for peace of mind.
OP I'm really sorry that must have been awful for you but the dog was in its own garden and your cat 'trespassing'
You say it's a 'pit bull' type are you sure? Because those are illegal anyway. If it's a Staffordshire Bull Terrier they are nothing to do with pit bull breeds but most of them, while lovely with people, will kill cats and other small animals because they are terriers and that's what unsupervised terriers do.
What worries me the most, as others have said, is that the owners have offered to have it put down over this incident. That would really scare me, that they don't trust their own dog and puts a completely different light on the incident. Personally I would have a sensible conversation with them about the potential risk to their baby ( as well as the rest of your cats)
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh I’m so sorry to hear this sad news. Xx

My concern is that this dog is in their front garden and might be capable of “attacking” a person entering the garden - postman etc. Or could the dog get out of the garden into the street ?

I think owners should try other things before having the dog PTS. Does it need training classes, has it been neutered, does it wear a muzzle when out in public (including the front garden) ? As a last resort they could re-home.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisaw1971
Very Serious Dibber

Sorry for our lose, terrible thing to happen!
We’ve not long moved & have cats & dogs (cavaliers) however we have this one cat that keeps coming into our garden & one of my cavaliers try’s to get it, he totally ignores our cats!
I don’t know what he’d do if he caught it?
I certainly wouldn’t be having him out to sleep or rehoused if he did catch it.
He’s defending his territory!
Likewise one of cats loves to wind the next door dog up, if he was to fall off the fence goodness knows what would happen , likewise I wouldn’t be wanting next door’s dog removed or anything else.

Unfortunately somethings just happen, horrible but a part of life.
Lisaw1971 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List