Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Apr 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MrsArcher2b View Post
Your poor DH! I bruised my coccyx before our flight last year and although it was uncomfortable, it was better than I expected.

As a previous sciatica sufferer I highly recommend that he sees an osteopath when you get back home. It took time but mine worked absolute wonders. I couldn't even lay on my back with my legs down for a minute before I saw him. Not cheap at £40 per 20 minute session but so worth it.

It could be worth him going for a treatment before your trip if he can fit one in because they do a session and then they give you certain exercises and stretches to improve it in your own time.

Best of luck x
Thank you - so far he had 4 physio sessions one including acupuncture. Deep massage does seem to ease things , if it doesn't ease off I know he would certainly try an osteopath. It is scary when you see how many people suffer , usually often all different diagnosis as well. Sciatica seems to be an umbrella term for a variety of things.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BigSkip
Imagineer

Surprised no one has said gin. Cures most things.
BigSkip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

I have 2 protruding discs following a car accident nearly 30 years ago. I've used a chiropractor for year. Manual traction is the thing that works for me. I usually crawl in and walk out. Feel like I've been wa
Led on by an elephant for a few days after but it works wonders. You do need to be certain of your diagnosis though and it's no good when it is very acute and your back is in spasm. Have flown and managed Florida a few times over the years and would suggest similar things to others- isle seat so you can move around when needed. I have to have a cushion in the small of my back to keep the curve of the spine right whilst sitting. Painkillers, heat. Hope all works out OK as it is miserable to deal with.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Voltarol high strength gel. Normally sold from behind the counter at pharmacies.

Works wonders for me, and doesn’t smell.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 06:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’d second a trip to the chiropractor might make al the difference. They also recommend using ice packs and freezing gel. However if the back muscles are in spasm you might find heat treatments work better. Airline crew are usually very understanding. Not sure you can still get diclofenac (voltarol) in UK over the counter anymore. You can in the states though!
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

YouTube and look for exercises to help with sciatica, they can be really effective in stretching out and releasing the nerve.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Originally Posted by BigSkip View Post
Surprised no one has said gin. Cures most things.
Think I might be needing to hit the gin by then, certainly help you forget the pain anyway. ha ha
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Voltarol high strength gel. Normally sold from behind the counter at pharmacies.

Works wonders for me, and doesn’t smell.
Something I didn't realise that Volterol is sold in two different strengths. I did buy some but from the supermarket shelf. Visit to the chemist for me this week - think it might be quite a shipping order. Thank you another good suggestion.
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Sciatica (if diagnosed) is nerve pain.

Voltarol is for joint and muscular pain. It works differently. Might be useful if your muscles are tight from "guarding" against pain, but rubs and sprays are not that useful otherwise. Prescription meds are the way to go for nerve pain.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Sciatica (if diagnosed) is nerve pain.

Voltarol is for joint and muscular pain. It works differently. Might be useful if your muscles are tight from "guarding" against pain, but rubs and sprays are not that useful otherwise. Prescription meds are the way to go for nerve pain.
Thank you - medication for nerve pain was prescribed last week. Sadly until the GP considers a scan for a proper diagnoses we have no way of knowing the exact problem. Theres good days and bad days still not quite 4 weeks so a couple more before a referral will be considered I guess.