Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 8 Aug 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

So things I have learned today:
1. Texas Tuxedo = double denim
2. Fenway Park has a garden for growing produce served during games.

Now I did, indeed, learn a lot more from today's report but the above two are the sort of thing that could come up if I was ever at a pub quiz!

I've been meaning to mention that as I read the reports and the letters R.C. I read it as Ray Charles. Absolutely no idea why but, for example, where you've written "I had to wait for R.C's tea... " I read "I had to wait for Ray Charles' tea..." (I'm a bit odd )

Edited at 10:11 PM.
SEAWORLD FAN is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
So things I have learned today:
1. Texas Tuxedo = double denim
2. Fenway Park has a garden for growing produce served during games.

Now I did, indeed, learn a lot more from today's report but the above two are the sort of thing that could come up if I was ever at a pub quiz!

I've been meaning to mention that as I read the reports and the letters R.C. I read it as Ray Charles. Absolutely no idea why but, for example, where you've written "I had to wait for R.C's tea... " I read "I had to wait for Ray Charles' tea..." (I'm a bit odd )
Ooh, I have one more useless fact for you today...

This afternoon Poot taught me that a shark biologist is more properly called...an elasmobranchologist. You're welcome - you can use that the next time you play Hangman.

And poor DH - his eyesight is DREADFUL without his glasses - but perhaps not as bad as that.

It's so funny, isn't it? - what we read out loud to ourselves. There is a lovely Dibber whose username is DFussy - and I read that to myself EVERY TIME as "Daughter: Fussy".
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Elasmobranchologist you say? That's quite a mouthful. I've not heard of the word before but I fully expect to hear it everywhere now I know of it.

I hope I didn't offend with my Ray Charles thing. Heaven knows why I came up with that. Could have been worse I suppose. I could have come up with Rylan Clarke!

Just out of interest is R.C. a pianist by any chance? Perhaps that's the Ray Charles connection?
SEAWORLD FAN is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
Elasmobranchologist you say? That's quite a mouthful. I've not heard of the word before but I fully expect to hear it everywhere now I know of it.

I hope I didn't offend with my Ray Charles thing. Heaven knows why I came up with that. Could have been worse I suppose. I could have come up with Rylan Clarke!

Just out of interest is R.C. a pianist by any chance? Perhaps that's the Ray Charles connection?
Isn't that always the way?

Of course you didn't offend me! I do it, too!

But I don't know who Rylan Clarke is...I'll be back...

...oh, dear - Ray Charles is 100 times better.

Poor R.C. - he couldn't carry a tune if you gave him a rope and bucket - so no.

But he is a great APPRECIATOR of music - he and Poot go up to the symphony in London a few times a year.

One of the FEW good things about my kid growing up?

I don't have to go to the symphony anymore *hangs head in shame*.
Old 1 Nov 17, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post

My favourite American program was that of Grant Hochstein - he skated to a Les Mis medley.

Ooooh, I love a bit of Lez Mizzles, this would have been my favourite.

I'm not sure if it was this post of the previous one where you mentioned skating in national dress, but it reminded me that I thought it was nice that the British duo skated to Muse who are an English band

Quick question... what's the different between pairs and couples? At first thought I guessed pairs were same sex, but from your photos that's not the case. Please enlighten me?

continued in next post[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
The tale of the French McDonalds made me laugh. I recently saw a man eating KFC with a plastic fork and knife. I thought it was adorable.
One time we went to America as a family we had been out and about all day, maybe at the beach. My mum and dad pulled in to pick up a bucket of KFC on the way home for us for dinner (We were in the South and KFC sold biscuits... yummmmm )
Anyway, my mum and dad came back to the car laughing to themselves. When ordering the bucket the lady at the counter had asked "would you like the plates, ma'am?" and given her napkins, paper plates, plastic cutlery and wet wipes.
They still (at least 17 years later) tell the "would you like the plates, ma'am?" story or say it when laying the table.

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
We own those safety hammers - one for each car. I used to be CERTAIN that a bridge would collapse under my car - and then after I had Poot of course it was worse. He'd be trapped in his car seat! Why do you think I booked a balcony on the cruise? ESCAPE!
I don't like to stay on high floors in hotels because I worry about how high fire ladders can reach! I think a little car hammer is perfectly reasonable.

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post

My secret YouTube addiction is the Expedia city tours. I could watch them, all day.
Are we confessing? My secret YouTube addiction is Disney List Countdowns (best/worst rides, hotels, food, etc) and also 'abandoned' videos that show theme parks, hotels, restaurants that have been abandoned and started to be reclaimed by nature.

Re. the feedback thing, I don't generally bother because I suspect it rarely, if ever, gets back to the people who have the clout. (Those decision-makers again.) I'll share a nice comment, if only to perk up the person in front of me, but, well... I see your cynical perspective now!
When in restaurants and we have had a great server we've written a short note (just "thank you for the great service, we had a wonderful time" or something) on the receipt. My BF says that at his old work they used to get pinned on the staff notice board, so we do that in the hope that nice servers will get a bit of praise from the powers that be.

Fantastic day again.
I like the sound of the tour at Fenway but feel your pain with overcrowded tours, especially when you can't see/hear the guide very well. It seems like fun was had by all though, which is good.

The trail that the chaps did sounds really interesting as I love a bit of history. I didn't know about the molasses flood, but am now imagining treacle stickily oozing through the streets and making the city smell like flapjacks... mmmm, flapjacks.

The boys seem to be doing very well on their revised budget, even if dinner for this night was a bit of a dud.

Please tell Poot that he has inspired me to do the trail if we ever head to Boston, and we will certainly check out Paul Revere's house as $4 is a bargain!
I am very much enjoying hearing his side of the trip.

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post

I have somehow c*cked up this quote - I'll do my replies in purple (Skol!)

Ooooh, I love a bit of Lez Mizzles, this would have been my favourite.

I'm not sure if it was this post of the previous one where you mentioned skating in national dress, but it reminded me that I thought it was nice that the British duo skated to Muse who are an English band

Ooh, (Spaniard) Javier Fernandez is skating this year to "Man of La Mancha". I love it!

Quick question... what's the different between pairs and couples? At first thought I guessed pairs were same sex, but from your photos that's not the case. Please enlighten me?

In essence, pairs skating includes ACROBATIC elements (throws, jumps, etc...) and ice dance doesn't. It's more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

One time we went to America as a family we had been out and about all day, maybe at the beach. My mum and dad pulled in to pick up a bucket of KFC on the way home for us for dinner (We were in the South and KFC sold biscuits... yummmmm )
Anyway, my mum and dad came back to the car laughing to themselves. When ordering the bucket the lady at the counter had asked "would you like the plates, ma'am?" and given her napkins, paper plates, plastic cutlery and wet wipes.
They still (at least 17 years later) tell the "would you like the plates, ma'am?" story or say it when laying the table.

Hehe...I was mightily impressed with R.C. when the first time we "road-tripped" together we stopped an a French rest area (an "Aire") - and from his glove box he pulled tiny little packs of (metal) camping cutlery with which to eat our lunch. And nowadays we always bring a couple of el cheapo paper tablecloths to cover the picnic tables. Posh, no?

I don't like to stay on high floors in hotels because I worry about how high fire ladders can reach! I think a little car hammer is perfectly reasonable.

Are we confessing? My secret YouTube addiction is Disney List Countdowns (best/worst rides, hotels, food, etc) and also 'abandoned' videos that show theme parks, hotels, restaurants that have been abandoned and started to be reclaimed by nature.

(Whispering) Poot and I watched a couple of DFB "Best to Worst" videos just last week.

When in restaurants and we have had a great server we've written a short note (just "thank you for the great service, we had a wonderful time" or something) on the receipt. My BF says that at his old work they used to get pinned on the staff notice board, so we do that in the hope that nice servers will get a bit of praise from the powers that be.

Aw...I love reading the #castcompliments, too.

Fantastic day again.
I like the sound of the tour at Fenway but feel your pain with overcrowded tours, especially when you can't see/hear the guide very well. It seems like fun was had by all though, which is good.

The trail that the chaps did sounds really interesting as I love a bit of history. I didn't know about the molasses flood, but am now imagining treacle stickily oozing through the streets and making the city smell like flapjacks... mmmm, flapjacks.

The boys seem to be doing very well on their revised budget, even if dinner for this night was a bit of a dud.

Please tell Poot that he has inspired me to do the trail if we ever head to Boston, and we will certainly check out Paul Revere's house as $4 is a bargain!
I am very much enjoying hearing his side of the trip.

Poot and I walked the whole trail this August. It was about 10,000 degrees - but it was FAB. Here we are (soaked with sweat) at the top of the Bunker Hill Monument:

That sort of thing is right up my street (trail?), I wish more cities did them. I know there are 500 walking tours for every city but Boston set coloured bricks in the pavement so one can't get lost. And Poot had a high old time "showing me around" - since he'd done a great deal of it before. So much fun for kids to be the experts.
Old 8 Dec 17, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you for your explanation. I am now wiser about ice skating. I think I'd like both pairs and couples.
It is a nice detail that the British entrants performed to a British band too.

I am impressed at RC's preparation, how classy to be able to use a real metal knife and fork rather than plastic. Love that you bring table cloths for picnic tables too, not only maintaining standards but probably prevents loss of food/cutlery down the gaps in the tables. Well done you!

I was so excited, I tweeted Disney with a #CastCompliment for Kellie in the ESPN bar at the Boardwalk, and they gave her a certificate and tweeted back a picture of her with it
So great for the CM's who work so hard and sometimes have to deal with unpleasant people to be recognised like that! I wasn't expecting anything like that, but it's good that they do it.

Well done for walking the whole trail in August heat. I do like a guided (or even self guided but with a clear route) walk. We did the Shaun The Sheep trails in London in August and it was fun but very busy... and a lot less educational.
I think there's a Harry Potter walking tour that can be done in London, so may have to try that too.
If you and Poot fancy a day trip Summer 2018, I think this looks fun in Bristol over the summer, though not as educational as Boston - Gromit Unleashed

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
Thank you for your explanation. I am now wiser about ice skating. I think I'd like both pairs and couples.
It is a nice detail that the British entrants performed to a British band too.

I am impressed at RC's preparation, how classy to be able to use a real metal knife and fork rather than plastic. Love that you bring table cloths for picnic tables too, not only maintaining standards but probably prevents loss of food/cutlery down the gaps in the tables. Well done you!

I was so excited, I tweeted Disney with a #CastCompliment for Kellie in the ESPN bar at the Boardwalk, and they gave her a certificate and tweeted back a picture of her with it
So great for the CM's who work so hard and sometimes have to deal with unpleasant people to be recognised like that! I wasn't expecting anything like that, but it's good that they do it.

Well done for walking the whole trail in August heat. I do like a guided (or even self guided but with a clear route) walk. We did the Shaun The Sheep trails in London in August and it was fun but very busy... and a lot less educational.
I think there's a Harry Potter walking tour that can be done in London, so may have to try that too.
If you and Poot fancy a day trip Summer 2018, I think this looks fun in Bristol over the summer, though not as educational as Boston - Gromit Unleashed
Thanks so much for that; you are right - it looks just up Poot's street (groan). I've never been to Bristol...but R.C.'s (weird, affected) cousin lives there - maybe we could make a family trip of it. Poot and I will go and see the Gromits...and R.C. can visit with his WAC.

Good on you for complimenting your waitress. I imagine the girls at the ESPN Club sometimes have to put up with a little...grief - so a pleasant change no doubt to get a visit from the certificate squad!
Old 7 Apr 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Mobile

Bumping up this zombie thread because I'm rereading my favorite trippies. I'm still so mad about US Men at this world's. 3 finish in the top 10, and that isn't good enough to earn 3 spots for the next year. Ugh. Stupid rule of 13.

I made the mistake the first time I read this trip report to just read the reports and not the comments. The gold is in the comments.

If you see this, did you watch World's this year? I know you said pairs is your least favorite, but the man in the US pair trained for awhile, as a novice man, at the rink I skated at. I was in a show number that he was also in, a Disney medley. We are very proud here that he and his partner placed well enough to earn 2 spots back for the US.
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List