Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jul 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
koneko
Excited about Disney

Mobile Found our dream house but ours isn't on the market, do we have a chance?

On a walk earlier today I spotted that a house I've been lusting after for a long time is on the market, it's just as perfect on the inside as I'd hoped it would be and we could afford to move there without needing a higher mortgage (I have an investment which has always been earmarked for our forever home).

Our house isn't on the market (we weren't intending to move for another year or two) and this wouldn't be the best time to draw on my investment as it's slightly down following covid, however the stamp duty reduction is swaying me to wonder whether it's worth trying.

Does anyone have experience of finding a house they love but not having sold theirs? We are in the tricky position that I wouldn't move out of our village so I'd prefer to sell our house knowing that we had a decent chance of getting one we'd already seen.
First WDW Trip with the kids - June 2019
MAY/JUNE 2022 BOOKED - FINGERS CROSSED!
koneko is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Depends how saleable yours is ...
Probably better to ask local estate agents than dibbers who don’t know the market in your village or if you are prepared to accept a quick sale price.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

Mobile

Could you consider changing your current mortgage to a buy to let and then get another mortgage on the new house?

I would go and speak to a mortgage broker to see what your options are
Old 13 Jul 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

We almost did this 2 years ago- to complicate it even further we were finishing renovating ours and it wasn’t quite ready!
Luckily ours was very saleable. We went with the estate agents who were selling the house we wanted and priced it realistically. We got 2 asking price offers on ours from the first 2 people who viewed it. Our offer was then accepted in the house we wanted.
In the end it all fell apart as the sellers of the house we wanted withdrew and we couldn’t find another house we wanted.
We were moving because of noisy neighbours who saw how much we had got for ours- put theirs on the market and the people who wanted ours bought next door (and are lovely) so it all worked out!
But for your initial question I guess it depends how fast things are moving in your area and whether someone wants your house before someone else wants the house you want!
Old 13 Jul 20, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
koneko
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
We almost did this 2 years ago- to complicate it even further we were finishing renovating ours and it wasn’t quite ready!
Luckily ours was very saleable. We went with the estate agents who were selling the house we wanted and priced it realistically. We got 2 asking price offers on ours from the first 2 people who viewed it. Our offer was then accepted in the house we wanted.
In the end it all fell apart as the sellers of the house we wanted withdrew and we couldn’t find another house we wanted.
We were moving because of noisy neighbours who saw how much we had got for ours- put theirs on the market and the people who wanted ours bought next door (and are lovely) so it all worked out!
But for your initial question I guess it depends how fast things are moving in your area and whether someone wants your house before someone else wants the house you want!
Thank you, I would say that ours is very saleable - the only reason we are looking to move is for a little more discs for our growing family, the location, neighbours etc are all fab and if it was possible to extend then we probably would. This was our first home so we've never had any experience of selling and buying before and I find it all quite confusing with chains etc.
First WDW Trip with the kids - June 2019
MAY/JUNE 2022 BOOKED - FINGERS CROSSED!
koneko is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 20, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by koneko View Post
Thank you, I would say that ours is very saleable - the only reason we are looking to move is for a little more discs for our growing family, the location, neighbours etc are all fab and if it was possible to extend then we probably would. This was our first home so we've never had any experience of selling and buying before and I find it all quite confusing with chains etc.
I’d suggest having a chat to the estate agent- we were happy to go with the same one and we felt it gave them an incentive to push ours as then knew they would potentially get 2 sales and commissions fairly easily. It seemed to work!
Old 14 Jul 20, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
baggers
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Go for it. If it’s your dream house you might regret not trying to buy it. Yours might sell quickly.
baggers is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by koneko View Post
Put yours up for sale now, with the same estate agent handling the sale of the other property. It might put you in a better position than going through another one.

Good luck. Strike while you won’t have to pay stamp duty
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Try it...you never know.

My friend was in a similar position to you and it turned out the owner of her dream house was downsizing due to divorce and didn't want to move out of the village and they ended up doing a house swap!
mskitty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 20, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
VeryexcitedH
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We went to look at a house in a street we were interested in moving onto. Our house was not on the market and not in an area where it would have sold quickly if we had. We went to see a financial advisor who suggested putting an offer in on the house and renting our house out. We did this and while the scenario wasn't perfect because we had to top the mortgage up for three years, we sold the house eventually and are in a much better position in our forever home. I would never have considered this so it's certainly an option as a means to an end.
VeryexcitedH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List