Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Jun 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
VeryexcitedH
slightly serious Dibber

Help needed - concrete in bathroom

Not sure if anyone can help. We are looking to put a toilet under our stairs. It is a very tight space but we had it plumbed in ready when we did the kitchen, which is next door.

We have got a slab of concrete on the wall opposite to where I think the toilet would go. As it is a tight space and I wonder if, rather than attempting to knock the concrete out, we could get a glass basin and tap to sit on top.

Couple of questions...
Would we be able to drill a hole through for tap/waste?
Any ideas on how to clean up and finish a piece of concrete?
Best left as it is? Or painted?

Pictures attached (please excuse the mess I'm gradually clearing it off as it was full to bursting pre lockdown!)

Edited at 08:48 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
VeryexcitedH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Is it an old house? Could it have been a cold shelf for a pantry?

Smash it out, less than an hours work and more like 20 mins.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
VeryexcitedH
slightly serious Dibber

It is a 1960s police house. I'm baffled as to what it could have been for. 🤷

Is it as simple as taking a sledgehammer to it then? Won't damage the walls?
VeryexcitedH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
I would want to see it to say yes but I reckon at the max it’s 4 inches into the walls each side.

I would use a handheld concrete breaker and chop it out that way. If it’s the right height for a sink you could drill through it for the pipes and waste then tile it.

Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Is it an old house? Could it have been a cold shelf for a pantry?

Smash it out, less than an hours work and more like 20 mins.
Definitely looks like a cold shelf for storing meats etc, as Tom suggests. removing it would be best👍
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 20, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by VeryexcitedH View Post
It is a 1960s police house. I'm baffled as to what it could have been for. 🤷

Is it as simple as taking a sledgehammer to it then? Won't damage the walls?
We had one in our pantry, when we smashed ours we had to have the other side of the wall in the hallway replastered.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Hermione
Getting Excited

Mobile

To answer your questions you possibly could drill but it may have steel rods in for reinforcment. Brick acid cleaned mine up then I sealed it with tile seal.
You could hire a Stihl saw and cut it out but the dust will be incredible and would be less if you smashed it out.
Hermione is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
To answer your questions you possibly could drill but it may have steel rods in for reinforcment. Brick acid cleaned mine up then I sealed it with tile seal.
You could hire a Stihl saw and cut it out but the dust will be incredible and would be less if you smashed it out.
My goodness, the thought of a disc cutter in a house fills me with dread!

We would use one of these and then any rebar will just fall out. It's so thin it will collapse in minutes once you start up the akka takka (trademans term!)

OP. You can hire these from HSS etc

Edited at 06:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 26 Jun 20, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

If it’s at the right height for a sink I would get it cleaned up and polished by someone. Polished concrete can look incredible and I think it would be a really nice retained feature from the history of the house.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 20, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
In my opinion that isn’t good enough quality for a bowl support surface, from a practical point of view it is an awful material with water splashes and liquid soap drips.

You could consider getting a couple of pieces of granite cut from a local firm. This is offcut size And should be relatively inexpensive, even with the tap and drain holes required. You could then just wrap the concrete with the granite. I think that I would consider using a concrete-based floor adhesive for this tiny tiling job with plenty of support for the front piece. The top you could fix with silicone.

I love granite as a material and actively find myself looking for opportunities to use it

The above is actually a kitchen cabinet with a piece of granite on top.

Regards

Gary