Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less
Unread 7 Aug 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
Final update post 55 'What are we doing?!' Two adults and a toddler - October 2018 pre-trip report

Its the moment weve been waiting for since we found out we were going to be parents taking our little one to our favourite place and its finally happening!

Introduction

Laura (me) 28 Chief planner and organiser, who will most likely be found sobbing behind her sunglasses for a lot of this holiday. Please bear with me on this report. I'm not very good at this type of thing but I feel motivated to do one as hopefully it'll help someone else out if they're planning to take their toddler

Steven 30 The laidback husband. Celebrating his 30th birthday in Disney a year late! Mostly excited for the Food and Wine Festival!

Phoebe 1 Our beautiful little girl, celebrating her first of many visits hopefully! She already seems to like all Disney characters and gets excited watching Disney vlogs on YouTube

We had been debating on a 2018 WDW visit since before Phoebe was born so when free dining was released in April 2017 we had pretty much made our mind up that we were going back.

We didnt book straightaway, we held off until TUI released their 2018 holidays as they fly from Newcastle, which is our local airport. Unfortunately they werent flying when we wanted to go (or at least hadnt released the dates yet) so we started looking at Virgin instead. We flew with Virgin back in 2016 from Manchester for the first time and we were impressed. We enjoyed the flight, we didnt mind Manchester Airport or Orlando airport and we liked the Magical Express

The plans so far...

Pre-travel day

We have booked the Premier Inn North on Runger Lane to stay over the night before we fly. It was only 35.00 at the time which we thought was a bargain.

The last time we flew from Manchester we set off from our house at 3am and still didn't get there until after 9.30am (check-in opened at 8.30am) due to traffic and road closures and diversions. Staying over the night will definitely take away a lot of the stress!

Car Parking

We have only just booked our car parking at the weekend. A lovely Dibber shared a link which had a discount code applied so we booked the official Meet and Greet parking. Its the first time weve done Meet and Greet so were feeling a little apprehensive about handing the keys over but a lot of people have said positive things about it. Plus, itll be a lot easier for us dropping the car off close to the terminal since we will have 3 suitcases, 3 hand luggage bags and 1 toddler without a pushchair to contend with!

The Flight

We are flying economy with Virgin from Manchester. We booked a fly drive as we got a good deal which included Phoebe having her own seat and by booking a fly drive we were able to pay a deposit rather than pay the full amount there and then. We have also paid to pre-book our seats so (as it stands) we are all sitting together.

Accommodation

We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside (again) and upgraded from QSDP to DDP.

Port Orleans Riverside is very special to us. Its where we stayed in 2012 when we got engaged and we returned in 2015 with our families for our wedding (which was 3 years ago on Sunday where has that time gone?!). We did consider other moderates but we werent wowed by Coronado Springs when we stayed in 2016 and with all the work taking place there and at Caribbean Beach we decided to go with what we know and love.

We have requested a mansion room as this is our favourite area of the resort and were looking forward to spending a little bit more time than usual at the resort.

Post-booking nerves

Shortly after booking I sat and thought - what are we doing?! Hence the time of this trip report I was thinking what a lot of other people have probably thought when booking for the first time with young children. What is he/she going to be like on the flight? If he/she cries everyone will hate us! What if it's too hot for him/her? What if he/she hates the characters? What if he/she hates the rides? and got quite upset over it all.

I'm over it now although I do get little waves of nerves every now and again but then I think life is too short to worry about the unknown. I'm sure it'll be a great holiday, different to our usual WDW holidays but different in a good way!

ADRS

When ADR day hit I was ready with my list at 11am. Unfortunately the website wasnt working but I managed to get everything we wanted using the MDE App these plans have been changed many, many times and will most likely continue to change! But for now, these are the confirmed locations:

Cinderellas Royal Table (breakfast)
Beaches and Cream (probably just stopping by for an ice cream and paying OOP)
Crystal Palace (breakfast)
Hoop De Doo Revue
Mama Melrose (Fantasmic Package)
Trattoria Al Forno (breakfast)
Ohana (breakfast)
Happily Ever After Dessert Party (plaza garden viewing)
Tusker House (breakfast)
Maria and Enzos (dinner)
Garden Grill (breakfast)
California Grill (dinner)
Be Our Guest (breakfast QS credits)
Via Napoli (dinner paying OOP)
Homecomin (lunch)

As you can tell, we are very much breakfast people! Although these have all be confirmed, whether we actually decide to go ahead with these remains to be seen. I do think we are being a little ambitious but well see how we get on!

We're returning to Tusker House, Be Our Guest and Via Napoli as we really like these restaurants but looking forward to trying a lot of new places! We did have our wedding meal at Trattoria Al Forno but we're going for breakfast this time.

Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party

Another thing we both really wanted to do when we went back was go to our first Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party. Weve done the Halloween party before and really enjoyed it. I wanted to go again this year (mainly to see the Sanderson sisters!) but we arrive on 30th October so our only option is 31st October, which is too expensive and will probably be really busy so we went for the Christmas Party instead. It's a first for us so it's something we are really looking forward to.

Discovery Cove

This is another first for us. We're going to have a lovely, relaxing day at Discovery Cove...who am I kidding, with a 22 month old in tow I'm not sure anything will be relaxing! But hopefully it'll be a nice, slower paced day

RunDisney

When we booked I realised we would be visiting WDW over the half marathon weekend, which includes a 5K run through Animal Kingdom. I kept thinking about it every so often then slowly started joining RunDisney groups on Facebook so by the time it came round to register I had made my mind up. Im doing the Fall Feast 5K! I cant say Im looking forward to the middle of the night get-up but itll be an experience.

I cant decide whether to dress up or just wear usual running clothes

Not forgetting Phoebe and Steven. Phoebe has been signed up for the 100m toddler dash and Steven will be running with her.

Other

Phoebe has her 1st haircut booked at the Main Street Barbershop!

Something else I was certain I wanted to do was meet up with our wedding photographer and have some family photos taken on the Boardwalk, which is where we got married. Luckily he is available so we have a family session booked for 1st November.

Still to do

Stroller rental with Kingdom Strollers
Garden Grocer (or equivalent) order so we have some cereal/snacks in the room
Decide on outfits for our photo shoot
Buy holiday clothes - I desperately need clothes!

I cant remember if there is anything more on my to-do list as I left it at work so I cant check it

Im sure Ill be adding to this as we continue to countdown to our first big holiday as a family of 3 but thank you for reading if you got this far!

Edited at 06:22 AM.
Laura_<3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
POFQ - Phoebe's 2nd Trip!
Unread 7 Aug 18, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Great plans Laura, our holidays cross with yours (just about) You will be getting there as we are planning (dreading) our return home.
We have also upgraded our qs to full ddp at POFQ for our stay and we have Trattoria al Forno breakfast booked for our first morning, which is DD's 18th birthday.
Phoebe is gorgeous, I am sure she, and you as parents, will have a wonderful holiday 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Vietnam to visit our son
Unread 7 Aug 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 47

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'll keep my eyes open for you having your photos done on at BW Nov 1st - we're over the lake at BC and (so far) have HS for that day.
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Dreaming, then the Beach Club
Unread 7 Aug 18, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Wow snap! We will be there same dates (arrive 27th) with our little boy who will be 21/22mths while there, also signed up to the toddler dash!
I'm also nervous but excited!
Unread 7 Aug 18, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
poppin
Getting Excited

Watch Seeyarealsoon on youtube they have recently taken their toddler, lots of tips.
poppin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 18, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
piglet100
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by poppin View Post
Watch Seeyarealsoon on youtube they have recently taken their toddler, lots of tips.
He's so cute!
Unread 7 Aug 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

We've got very similar dates to you I've got 4 grown up children now but been taking them since there were toddlers Phoebe is gorgeous and I'm sure you'll all have an amazing time and make lots of lovely memories with your plans 😁
HevaDuck is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 18, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
spb_IRL
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

You will have a great time. We've been with toddlers three times now, and we never had issues. Ours were almost 2 , almost 1 and last year we celebrated our youngest's first birthday with lunch at Crystal Palace! Magic ! We also went twice at the end of October, great time of year.
Only bits of advice are:
Make sure your stroller reclines and folds easily. We always brought our own so we could put them in at the airport. We also used a sling, handy for queues.
Cut down on the luggage 😁 we bring that amount for 6 😂. Seriously though, it will be so much easier if you only have one hand carry case and a baby bag between you. Don't forget a change of clothes for the adults too!
We find American food to be very processed for toddlers, with not much in the way of fresh fruit and veg available, and salt or sugar in everything. Something to bear in mind when you are filling that Garden Grocer order.

Enjoy, you will have such a great time !
OKW & ? Oct 17
spb_IRL is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Ocean Florida