Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 28 Nov 18, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L South African Adventure Oct 2018 - Day 7 - Last game drive :(

Day 7

We got woken up at 5am as usual. We were really sad to be leaving the camp today .

We had been so lucky with our sightings, we said after 2 days we definitely thought 4 days would be enough but it had still flown by and we could have happily stayed a bit longer. The only thing I struggled with is not being able to go out walking etc as I am usually a very active person.

We had our coffee and left at 5:45, we saw a hyena as soon as we had left the camp. I look slightly nervous in the photos as it was walking towards me so I was a bit nervous to look away!

Zazu

HUGE hippo

We tracked the herd of buffalos we had found the night before and were looking out for lions but couldn’t see any. However, shortly after our ranger found two male lions. We had been lucky with our lion sightings, but we hadnt clearly seen a male lion with a huge mane so we were so happy we got to on our last drive!

The lion with the smaller mane is the same lion we saw on our first drive, but he had been hiding in the bushes so we didn’t get a clear view.

The lions were just lying there for ages, we were pretty close as you can see from my selfie! They are such beautiful animals so it was incredible to see them up so close.

Just having a scratch haha

After watching them for a while we moved away and stopped for our morning coffee and a flapjack. We then started to make our way back to the camp.

We went to our tent and finished packing up our stuff before breakfast. We settled our bill, it was about £80, this was for the nightly conservation fee plus our bar bill (I think the bar bill was about £35-£40 of this).

We had breakfast, omelette and sausages today. After we finished breakfast, we said bye to our ranger and tracker and left the camp about 10. We were very sad to leave, we had had a far better time than we ever would have expected.

Our ranger and tracker

We had the hour long drive to get back to the gate, this seemed to go much quicker on the way out. We hadn’t seen many giraffes during our game drives but we saw loads on the drive out just before the gate! I counted 22!

The drive around the canyon was very beautiful but the rest of the drive back was pretty boring and it felt very long. We were staying in a hotel by Johanessburg airport that night so we didn’t have to rush to get a flight. We stopped a couple of times, getting snacks and swapping drivers.

We arrived at the airport hotel about 5pm, the areas felt slightly dodgy and the hotel was gated.

It was very basic, I don’t seem to have taken any photos! It was only £20 for the night though so can’t complain too much.

When we said we were going to South Africa and since returning, a lot of people asked about the safety. Most of the time we felt absolutely fine, we were just careful but I work in central London so just follow the same sort of things I would there! However, that night in Johannesburg is the only time I felt slightly unsafe.

There was a MacDonalds nearby so we decided to pop out while it was still light. We went to the drive through and also filled the car up with petrol so it was ready to drop back the next day. The food came to 130RN (about £7).

We headed back to the hotel and ate the McDonalds in our room. We were shattered as we had been up 5am and after all of that driving so we showered and relaxed and got an early night.

Next - day 8

Edited at 11:01 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 18, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

The safari looks perfect - and so nice to have seen a maned lion on your last drive!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
The safari looks perfect - and so nice to have seen a maned lion on your last drive!
Thank you, we were so sad to leave and I would love to go back!
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Wow what an amazing time you had and how fantastic to see so many animals!

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List