Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Sep 20, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

How common is Apple Carplay or Sat Nav in the Cars

I have booked a Ford Explorer size vehicle with Avis

Last time i had a GMC arcadia which had apple car play so i hooked up my phone and used that as a SatNav i had USA roaming in my data plan back then

Though this vehicle had a Sat Nav as well, i did not pay for one.

I have a new phone contract which does not include USA roaming but i can allow my phone to use celluar in USA but there is a daily cost with Sky Mobile.

I assume you can use offline maps on a car with apple car play so it displays it on the vehicle screen
Old 16 Sep 20, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Damn Dirty Ape
slightly serious Dibber

I’ve been using an app on my iPhone called navmii. It’s free to use and works off your phone’s GPS rather than using data. The phone was linked to the car so it played instructions through the car but displayed only on the phone. I’m not sure if that’s changed as I didn’t get a chance to try it this year 😥

Got a little holder off eBay for a couple of pounds that clamps onto the phone and clips into the air vents in the car.

You can search your destination while on wifi and then save as a favourite. There is some search functionality “offline” but it’s not as quick and easy to navigate as the google search function you get while on wifi.

That said the last few cars I’ve rented all have had GPS activated but still preferred navmii.
Trip #16: In planning
Damn Dirty Ape is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
nhyw
Very Serious Dibber

nhyw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 10
We usually rent SUVs and every car we have rented for about the past 3-4 years (3/4 times each year) has had a built in SatNav. Maybe take a chance and then you can always add it at the airport parking garage booth if you can't find a car to pick up that has one built in.

Windsor Hills Retreat Luxury Vacation Home
Located at Windsor Hills Resort, Kissimmee, Florida
www.windsorhillsretreat.com
Luxury 6 Bedroom, 4 Bathroom Home with South Facing Pool, Spa and Games Room
Click here to see our Dibb advert or for more photos see our website
State of Florida Resort Dwelling License no. #DWE5917028
nhyw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I think the last 2 or 3 cars I've had were CarPlay compatible which was great.

A particular highlight in February, on the way back down to Tampa Airport in our Mustang, was putting BBC 5Live on to the car stereo so I could listen to commentary of Brighton's game!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 20, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Jay_
Getting to know the DIBB

I'd second Bozza's comment, last few cars I've either hired, or family members have hired have had CarPlay. From memory the only one that didn't was a brother-in-laws Dodge Caravan. I think its far more popular than here in the UK, even though its beginning to become more common.

Its also brilliant, and makes navigating areas I've never been much easier than relying on a map, or a dodgy satnav (I use Google maps via CarPlay).

Edited at 08:23 AM.
Jay_ is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
trampslikeus
Apprentice Imagineer

I think Carplay is pretty common in SUV and premium vehicles. I have certainly had it in last 3 rentals (Mustang, Toyota Rav 4, Mitsubishi Outlander) all with Avis.
Unfortunately the Sirius radio was not subscribed.
It would be good if these features could be detailed in car spec at time of booking, rather than just a lottery
trampslikeus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 20, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Apple CarPlay is fine IF you have a suitable data plan. You can download Google maps which works offline and uses GPS to locate you but these methods will only use generic routes and not calculate using traffic data, accidents etc. but useful for most drives.

If you choose to use your iPhone (or similar) then be careful using a screen mounted holder. We used one on our last Florida holiday and due to the phone being in the windscreen in the hot sun it got too hot and decided to shut down! A few minutes in front of the AC vents sorted it but something to consider.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 20, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The last 4 cars we have had all had Apple carplay, but also all had a working sat nav, although my dh uses waze more than the built in one. Can you call your network provider and add the US on for the duration of your stay? We can do this with Vodafone and it works out far cheaper than paying for it on a 2 year contract when you only use it for 2 weeks!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

Its Usually about £5 a day with most providers.
Old 26 Sep 20, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

There are some states in USA where having anything mounted on the windscreen is illegal. FL I don't think is one, but worth investigating if you plan on doing a road trip.