Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Aug 20, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Flights to the west coast

I'm thinking of contingency plans incase we don't go to Florida in 2022, How much is a reasonable price for summer holidays? We would want to fly into San Francisco, and out of LA or San Diego, ideally direct, for 16-19 days over the summer holidays... from Heathrow and with a car (Surburban or Tahoe)

I've kind of thought of a ball point of max £4k - for 2 adults and 2 teens (would be 16 & 14) In a pre covid world, what did people pay for similar? In a post covid world... who knows!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

For the whole vacation? No chance. There are some bits that save you and some that do not. A look at my trip report in my signature will give you a broadly acceptable plan .. and now I will break it down and remember this is just for 14 nights. I am a prolific researcher by the way.

Flights. These seem to vary little. Into SFO and out of LA comes in at around £520pp.. £2080. San Diego tends to cost a little more.

I tend to go for a RAV4 or Focus. You won’t need it for your first 3 or so days, so 11 days hire.. £260. A Tahoe? Haven’t got a clue and wouldn’t even recognise one.. double it? £520

3 nights SFO. It will not be less than £170 a night.. £520. If you already have your car.. parking can be extortionate.

Alcatraz? £140

A day on Cycles? £100 plus.

2 nights Monterey? £400
Whale watching £160
Aquarium? £140

A break between Monterey and Anaheim (it’s 400 miles plus). Madonna Inn is around £170

Just Disney?£200 each for tickets... £800
Accommodation Anaheim 3 nights £500

Accommodation San Diego 5nights? £200 a night £1000
Gosandiego 5 tickets £160 each... £640

I am up to around £7000...

Now we have 14 x breakfasts, lunches and evening meals..
Seaworld?
6 Flags?
A night on RMS Queen Mary?
A Hollywood guided tour.?

I have done it once and purchased two further that you can look at in the Pre trip section that are now cancelled. You are welcome to my costing spreadsheets, should you so wish... I would suggest that you would need to double your budget! Having said that, how much is a real price for a 14 day Orlando when all is actually added up?.. I reckon that it’s around the same if flying direct and buying a decent spread of park tickets and staying in a villa with a hire car at Easter or Summer.

In summary, flights and theme parks.. you make a saving.

Car, you break even.

Food and accommodation, you pay more.

Should you wish, then you are welcome to my spreadsheets for all 3
1.. SFO, Monterey, Madonna, Valencia, Anaheim, San Diego, Long beach.
2.. SFO, Monterey, Madonna Inn, Renton, Vancouver.
3. . Phoenix, Tucson, Phoenix, Hollywood, Pismo, San Simeon, Monterey, SFO.

Q.. Is it worth it ?
A.. Too right it is. You may never return to Florida. I believe that California is simply in a different league... depending on what you value in a vacation.. And we have been all the way from the Alabama border, down to Key west and right up the other side as far as Daytona Beach.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:57 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

We paid £500 for flights 3 years ago . Car was more expensive as we picked up and left in different states.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
For the whole vacation? No chance. There are some bits that save you and some that do not. A look at my trip report in my signature will give you a broadly acceptable plan .. and now I will break it down and remember this is just for 14 nights. I am a prolific researcher by the way.

Flights. These seem to vary little. Into SFO and out of LA comes in at around £520pp.. £2080. San Diego tends to cost a little more.

I tend to go for a RAV4 or Focus. You won’t need it for your first 3 or so days, so 11 days hire.. £260. A Tahoe? Haven’t got a clue and wouldn’t even recognise one.. double it? £520

3 nights SFO. It will not be less than £170 a night.. £520. If you already have your car.. parking can be extortionate.

Alcatraz? £140

A day on Cycles? £100 plus.

2 nights Monterey? £400
Whale watching £160
Aquarium? £140

A break between Monterey and Anaheim (it’s 400 miles plus). Madonna Inn is around £170

Just Disney?£200 each for tickets... £800
Accommodation Anaheim 3 nights £500

Accommodation San Diego 5nights? £200 a night £1000
Gosandiego 5 tickets £160 each... £640

I am up to around £7000...

Now we have 14 x breakfasts, lunches and evening meals..
Seaworld?
6 Flags?
A night on RMS Queen Mary?
A Hollywood guided tour.?

I have done it once and purchased two further that you can look at in the Pre trip section that are now cancelled. You are welcome to my costing spreadsheets, should you so wish... I would suggest that you would need to double your budget! Having said that, how much is a real price for a 14 day Orlando when all is actually added up?.. I reckon that it’s around the same if flying direct and buying a decent spread of park tickets and staying in a villa with a hire car at Easter or Summer.

In summary, flights and theme parks.. you make a saving.

Car, you break even.

Food and accommodation, you pay more.

Should you wish, then you are welcome to my spreadsheets for all 3
1.. SFO, Monterey, Madonna, Valencia, Anaheim, San Diego, Long beach.
2.. SFO, Monterey, Madonna Inn, Renton, Vancouver.
3. . Phoenix, Tucson, Phoenix, Hollywood, Pismo, San Simeon, Monterey, SFO.

Q.. Is it worth it ?
A.. Too right it is. You may never return to Florida. I believe that California is simply in a different league... depending on what you value in a vacation.. And we have been all the way from the Alabama border, down to Key west and right up the other side as far as Daytona Beach.
I’ll read properly in a bit as just stopped for a drink as driving home from Cornwall but I should have said £4K just for for flight and car! Accommodation and spends/activities would all be separate!

NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
I’ll read properly in a bit as just stopped for a drink as driving home from Cornwall but I should have said £4K just for for flight and car! Accommodation and spends/activities would all be separate!
Flight and car? Easy.

Anywhere nice in Cornwall? .. I live just outside Falmouth

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
Flight and car? Easy.

Anywhere nice in Cornwall? .. I live just outside Falmouth
I usually set a budget of 3k for direct flights and car to Florida, so thought I should make it a little higher if going to the west coast! Will take a read through your post!

We stayed with my family down in Pensilva, near Liskeard, but drove past Falmouth on the way down to Poldhu on Weds, visited a few local beaches and towns rather than the usual tourist hotspots, beautiful and very lucky that we don't have to pay for accommodation down there!

Old 31 Aug 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

California flights used be be much cheaper than Florida because of the competition on the route to LAX. SFO a shade more expensive and San Diego the most expensive due to lack of competition. £400 fares were common and £450-500 the norm. I’m not sure how Covid has affected these routes though. On routes with lots of competition like NYC I’ve had return tickets for £300. Makes you realise how pricey MCO flights are!
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkandfluffy
Very Serious Dibber

We flew in and out of LAX last June with Virgin Atlantic - £300 return each, had a bargain in the sale so booked on a whim! However... it was one of the most expensive holidays we have had. Accommodation, food and various tickets for Alcatraz, Whale watching, Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm (didn’t do Disney or Universal), parking all add up. I would do it all again in a heart beat! It’s definitely the best holiday we have had and a road trip is the only way to try and make a dent on the State - its huge!
pinkandfluffy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by pinkandfluffy View Post
We flew in and out of LAX last June with Virgin Atlantic - £300 return each, had a bargain in the sale so booked on a whim! However... it was one of the most expensive holidays we have had. Accommodation, food and various tickets for Alcatraz, Whale watching, Six Flags, Knotts Berry Farm (didn’t do Disney or Universal), parking all add up. I would do it all again in a heart beat! It’s definitely the best holiday we have had and a road trip is the only way to try and make a dent on the State - its huge!
I agree. Whilst first Orlando and then greater Florida got me to initially visit the USA, California is simply in a different league!

Old 31 Aug 20, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

I agree. Whilst first Orlando and then greater Florida got me to initially visit the USA, California is simply in a different league!
My first trip to the USA was NYC, Boston and a roadtrip up into Vermont in Autumn. Just stunning. For me, Orlando is about the theme parks. Otherwise, I find the city kinda ugly and bland but certainly the cost of living is low and Brits can ''live the dream'' of a huge house with pool and games room etc. for a steal when you consider how much such a house would cost in other parts of the US. It's a great holiday spot but there are several parts of Florida more scenic let alone the rest of the US. When people tire of the theme parks I always recommend exploring more of North America but I appreciate some people find DIYing and visiting new places out of their comfort zone. But this is the West Coast forum so I can say it here If I won the lotto I would move to California in a second. I enjoy the cities, find several of them very livable but the landscape and outdoor activities are second to none. From the deserts to the mountains to the lakes to the beaches to the forests I'd never be bored. I still hang onto a bit of hope that I'll someday be able to take a few months off work and travel around California in a old VW camper
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List